1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics fading LEDs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RamenofSamus, 19 Jun 2004.

1. RamenofSamus

RamenofSamus What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to make and LED fader, so that i can make 4 pair of blue LEDs kinda wave(have two non-adjacent pair fade in at the same time, giving a fading illusion) This is the closest ive come up with, and i dont understand a lick of it. (doesnt help that i dont really trust its english...) I just need a simple parts list, some places to buy them (RadioShack?) and an explanation in plain english. pretend youre trying to tech rocket science to a really slow monkey. With little cash. A broke, slow monkey. Im talking George Bush simple. (no offence, Mr. President.)

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's just a Schmidt-trigger and Miller integrator coupled to a pair of emitter-followers, nowt complicated. :lol:

There's a soldering-by-numbers version with a parts list here but I don't think the Shack sells stripboard, though Futurelec have all the bits & cheaper.

Japala's brightens 1 led up as the other dims out, but I've never been able to synchronise them perfectly so left mine 1 channel, but you can add the PNP transistor just like Japala/Bill Bowdens & put any number of leds in parallel.

3. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

mind you, japala`s implementation is actually only good for red leds, blue ultrabrights will light up very dimly using that circuit - i recommend you either use cpemma`s 12V approach if you`re looking to fade blue leds or mine (if it`s important that it`s 5V :

[​IMG]

the parts list is simple - everything you see is labeled and it`s value written - VR1 is used to control the blinking speed.

i`m using this circuit so it definitely works - and VERY bright with blue leds.

where you see the dots it means the components in this junction should be connected together - lines crossing without dots should not be connected - the one exception that i seemed to have missed is the connection between pins 6 and 3 - i forgot to dot the pin 6 connection.

4. RamenofSamus

RamenofSamus What's a Dremel?

well, i think im gonna pretend i know what im doing, buy a whole bunch of extra parts, and hope nothing blows up. But i guess thats the best way to learn, isnt it? By looking at the above image, correct me if im wrong, but that will fade all 4 in and out at the same time, right? i could probably work with that, but im going more for a ripple effect. If i ever get it to work (and even if i dont) ill be sure to post pics of my bawls case, so keep a look out!!! should be done before school (so im lazy) Maybe ill pick up an electronics for dummies book tomorrow. I need it. Im guessing at most of these diagram symbols. But by next weekend, ill prolly just be digging in. Works for me!