1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Pirate Sonata

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by R@Mo, 17 Jun 2004.

1. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Red X's fixed! Enjoy the pictures! :D

2. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

I've order from them as well - dead good - does exactly what it says on the tin, well little sandwich bag... Postage to the UK wasn't too bad - around a week in total in think, but they came regular post rather than courier.

Good luck with the touching up - it can be difficult...

3. NoodleNogin

NoodleNogin What's a Dremel?

That supplier is in Shatin Hong Kong. I wouldn't buy anything from a place called Shatin. :blah:

4. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Quick Update: I originaly said I wouldn't show any more pictures before the side panel is done, but its taking a lot longer than I had hoped. Filing takes forever to do right - a lot longer than cutting. So here are some pictures to keep you guys interested while I inch closer to finishing off the cutout.

First off, here is that scratch I told you about. I've since scratched the panel in other places, although none as pronounced as this first time. Looks like I might have to repaint when done filing. :wallbash:

[​IMG]

It's OK though - I'll learn from it and hopefully it won't happen again. :yawn:

Moving on, I managed to file away the worst of the rough edges, and I cut away at the teeth. I still have the handle to cut. Here is a picture of my overall progress as of this afternoon:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I've removed the painter's tape from most of the panel. Of course, this proved to be the mistake that resulted in the scratch shown above. I'm documenting this so others can learn from my mistakes. When filing, use protection!! :D :naughty:

Here are some close-ups as usual, first of the teeth:

[​IMG]

then of the skull's bandana:

[​IMG]

and finally of the sword handle:

[​IMG]

In the skull bandana picture, the gray/whitish stuff is basically glue left behind by the painter's tape. I need to get this crap off without scratching the panel, and frankly I'm not sure how to do this. Any suggestions?

Overall, I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. It's very fulfilling seeing your creation coming out the way you envisioned. :thumb: :cooldude:

5. oshta

oshta Guest

yeah, too right, i wish my sonata looked that good!!!

6. czechmodder

czechmodder What's a Dremel?

usually rubbing alcohol or grain alcohol (~190 proof) will remove that crap easily.

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

That cutout looks nice. You can hardly see the scratch in the pictures :thumb:

8. toss

toss What's a Dremel?

That looks better than i imagined really nice work man

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

I do believe this is the only time it is safe/wise to combine grain alcohol and modding.

10. czechmodder

czechmodder What's a Dremel?

its also helpful for sedating yourself when your watercooling spills onto your brand new rig.

11. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

WOW!
    just be careful not to ruin any of these teeth! :D :D

12. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

It looks real good! I'm ipressed that the dremel hasn't slipped more times... my dremel really started jumping aroung when I was sanding (using the dremel) though..Great job!
    Are you going to put the handle back on? or are you going to cut it into something else (like making it look like something else ;))?

13. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Thanks everybody for the nice comments! :)

No plans to mod the handle. The side panel doesn't close properly without it.

Yeah, depending on the lighting and angle, its not very noticable.

I'm still not sure if I will paint the side panel again or not. If I do, it won't be anytime soon as I'm really busy with my university project these days, plus I will be on holiday most of July.

Never heard of 'grain' alcohol before. Can I pick it up at a pharmacy, or should I instead look at a home improvement store?

Can't wait to get my LED's! I emailed the guy about shipping times and he told me 7-14 days to Canada. Lets hope they get here before I leave on vacation! :D

14. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

VFD or LCD?

I'm confused about something and I'm looking for some advice. I can't make my mind up whether to spring for a Noritake VFD or a PSOne 5" LCD. They both cost about the same - $185 CAD + tax.

Advantages of the VFD:
    - Fits in a single 5.25" bay :thumb:
    - Wide viewing angle & bright letters
    - Easier to wire up

Disadvantages of the VFD:
    - Can't display multiple colors, high res graphics, etc (ie. limited to text + logos/graphs)
    - Software configuration could be a problem

Advantages of the LCD:
    - More flexible - can be used as a second monitor for emulator gaming (MAME, etc) or for Samurize.
    - *Bling* factor

Disadvantages of the LCD:
    - Hard to wire up correctly and configure in Powerstrip.
    - Takes up two 5.25" bays (if mounted in front)
    - Narrow viewing angle

My case is usually on my right side, so I *could* have whichever display I get mounted in the side panel, but that might look too....un-ergonomical (ie. not pleasing to the eye).

So, what do you guys think I should get, and why? And where would you place each of them if you had the same case? :confused:

(At the moment I'm leaning towards the VFD)

Last edited: 27 Jun 2004
  15. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

wat type of connector does the PS lcd use?

16. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Well, there are 2 ways to connect it to your video card. The first, is using an S-Video cable (which is poor quality), and the second, is to alter a VGA cable to accept the video signals outputted by the LCD (involves some soldering, but results in a much higher quality picture).

17. robotguy9000

DAMMIT!!!!!!

Compusa had one of these on sale for 20 bucks like a month ago!!!

i should have gotten 10!!!!! :duh: :duh:

i hate my self :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

18. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice! :sigh:

19. robotguy9000

lol, what kinda advice do you want?

my advice is- if you find one on sale, get it!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

20. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Looks like I'm going with the VFD. :D I won't be buying it until I have more cash floating around though. :waah:

You know, it's funny how many views this thread gets but when I ask for advice only 1 person replies. :sigh: There must be a lot of lurkers around. :hehe: