Networks Need help configuring router for Azureus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joe5, 29 Jun 2004.

1. Joe5

Joe5 What's a Dremel?

Hi, I've been suffering from slow downloads and uploads(both as a peer and a seed for uploads) even when there are many peers/seeds to connect to. Speeds rarely climb over 5 kb/s and are oftetn 0 or .1 kb/s. I have never once seen a green smiley in progress in Azureus, even after letting it run for days on end, and have concluded I must have a NAT problem. I do not have ZoneAlarm installed. However, after many many hours in front of my router config. screen, I have made no progress. I'll try to sum up everything in clear cut points/questions.

1)To start, I run windows XP, and have disabled all firewalls in Network Connections. I don't want the running, so I don't need to configure them, correct?

2)I have Norton Antivirus. Not a Norton Firewall product, only Antivirus. I have no software firewalls installed on my computer/network. Antivirus couldn't be causing problems, could it?

3)Onto the router issues. I have 3 computers on my network, and a Netgear MR814v2 router. According to run>cmd>ipconfig the computer I am trying to use the bittorent clients on's IP address is 192.168.0.2(default gateway is 192.168.0.1). This is the IP address I want to use in the port fowarding, right?

4)Which ports exactly do I want to foward? Azureus uses port 6881, so that's a given, but I have seen online sources saying Bittorent clients use between 6881 and 6999. I have tried setting the starting port to 6881 and the ending to 6999, but that did nothing for me. Now I have 10 different settings enabled, each for it's own port, 6881-6889, as well as 6969, which I read somewhere is used by trackers. For only Azureus(I use ABC also but if I can get this configured correctly I'd much rather move everything to Azureus), which ports do I want to foward?

5)This is the relevant part of my port fowarding screen as it stands now, I took a screenshot[​IMG](I apologize for the poor image quality but it had to be resized to be hosted online, most of it should be legible; the first collum is just the names I gave them myself and is unimportant; the second is start port, third is end port(third is always the same as the second), 4th is IP address(always 192.168.0.1). Given that that is my computer's IP address, and that is what I assume the ports I may need to be(again, they were all formerly one setting, but that didn't work so I split them up), what am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

All you need to do is forward that one port, and it should work fine. I do this myself using the router Qwest provided me for DSL. Also, the pic says the ip you typed was 192.168.0.2, and you said that above, but I think you accedently typed 192.168.0.1 after the image. Sounds like what your doing is fine, but its odd that its not working.

3. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

yup forward that one port (6881) to 192.168.0.2 as a TCP connection and it should be fine, just keep playing until the little test thingy in Azureus says it's fine :)

Here's an example of my port forwarding settings - my router is 192.168.0.1 and my pc is 192.168.0.2

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  4. Joe5

Joe5 What's a Dremel?

Hmm, well my router config page doesn't give an option between TCP and UDP, I wonder if that could be part of the problem...

And yes, that was a typo, I did mean 192.168.0.2, my comp's IP address, not .1, the default gateway.

Oh well, thank you to everyone for your help, I'm going to keep trying to see if I can get it running.

5. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

It sounds to me like you are not in the right page tbh, the page you displayed looks like the "Open Ports" page where you open a range of ports, the forwarding page is more specific, look around for another config page which is similar to mine (should really have TCP/UDP options) and you should only be able to forward single ports at a time :)

6. Joe5

Joe5 What's a Dremel?

Well, I've managed to get a green smiley(I had to configure my DSL modem, a westell 2200, which was acting as a second router).

Speeds, however, remain as crappy as ever. The green smileys have brought no other changes with them(other than being nicer to look at :D ).

Firewalls disabled, nothing I know of in my router of DSL modem slowing it down, is there anything in either Azureus or my Internet Settings that could fix the speeds?

Also, another note, I enabled UPnP in both Azureus and my router config, and it mapped the ports I needed by itself, so that solved the problem of not letting me choose between TCP/UDP...

Oh, and one question: What does it mean when a torrent is published? I've seena few that were while downloading, but it doesn't seem to make it go faster compared to other torrents...

Thanks again

Tags: