1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Making an Athlon T-bird into a keychain...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by silicond17, 3 Jul 2004.

1. silicond17

silicond17 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I recently acquired an old 1.33ghz Socket A original Athlon Thunderbird that doesn't work, so I decided to try and make a keychain out of it. So into the garage I go and get the drill.

Two broken drill bits and 5 minutes later, I have hardly a dent in the ceramic packaging and a hand I can barely move. Anyone else have any ideas on how to make a hole in this thing or attach a keyring to it? Thanks...

2. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I would imagine a bit designed for cutting through ceramic tiles and glass would work. This type of thing would probably do the trick.

3. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Another option is to use the pins on the chip instead of trying to drill a hole through it. You can lay the chain in amongst the pins and bend them over onto it, then solder or JB Weld it in place...maybe with a nice polished aluminum piece over it to hide the pins.

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

It would be damn near impossible to drill the ceramic with a normal bit, I tried to drill something that I found on an old circuit board (like 60-DIP or something else huge) and ended up burning up the bit, onle went in 2-3mm, just enough to screw up the tip.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Get a sharper drill bit. I know firsthand that drilling a core (barton 2500+ in my case) is near impossible but the ceramic shouldn't be that hard to do.

Or try and get a masonry drill bit. I've got one (well a few actually) but I a) don't know if it would work and b) won't send it to who-knows-where.

edit: err.. florida I guess. But check a local Sears store for a masonry bit. I'd try it on my t-bird however it still works and powers my brother's comp (how sad! he has a better graphics card than me too... he needs a 2500+ or something)

6. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

do you have a Home Depot nearby. take it to those chums down there they know everything. :p of that doesn't work then JB weld will. that stuff will last longer than the chip will. :thumb:

7. silicond17

I think my dad has a masenry drill bit. The only thing is I need to find it amongst all the crap in the garage...

8. silicond17

Nope. Cracked the CPU in half and just about broke the drill bit as well. I guess I'm just going to have to find a CPU with organic packaging instead of ceramic...