1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Aria [Update - 03.11.04]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Aa-chan, 10 Jul 2004.

1. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Next will be the mesh for the holes :) .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firstly, I'd like to say that this is all Graeme's and Jim's work from Kustom PCs. I originally wanted standard windows likea Shuttle cover, but Graeme suggested some circles instead. Well, it certainly looks great! :D

Plans are to stick some nice mesh, again like that on a Shuttle behind the holes and then use some nice UV paint to paint that. It'll glow nice and bright with the dual 4" cathodes I'll get from Kustom :) .

Hoping to get a Socket 754 mobo and CPU for in there shortly.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2004
  2. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Mmmm...the Antec case is sweeeeeet...I'll be following this one.

Cheers,
    Mike

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Yes, looks nice. Isn't that a small case... looks tiny, even smaller than the shuttles

4. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

The Aria cases are actually a little bigger than the Shuttles. They'll take a microATX board.

Looking good so far!

5. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Here's a good picture for comparison :) .

[​IMG]

6. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Humm, I'll be watching this closely as I have this case myself, and have overheating problems, with my vid card namely, been trying to figure out how to solve it.

First thing I suggest trying out that 8 in 1 card reader if it works for your card, if not taking it out frees up a lot of space. :naughty:

7. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

I've only had a quick look, but I can't see how it comes off. Is it just held in by two screws? I plan to take it out anyway as I won't use it and it adds to the wire mess in the case :rolleyes: .

8. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Yeah the actual card reader is held in by..2 screws I believe, and then the try its sitting on is metal, and thats held in by 2 or 3 rivets as I recall, so a small drill bit drilling through them will pop them right off.

Another note, that system cooler that came with the case is really piss poor. How many pci cards are you planning to have it it?

9. jodathmorr

jodathmorr What's a Dremel?

Very nice. I might have to borrow this idea somewhat for my next project :)

10. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Nice base case to start with, but I'll have to move to modding in accordance with forum Rules until you get your project started and do some actual modding work (work-in progress pics, etc) and post them up. PM or email an admin/mod when you have done so and we'll move it back to Project Logs. :)

Happy Moddin' :dremel:

11. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Can you do me a favor when you get a chance? I'd love to see a close up shot of whats in-between the side panels, between the two aluminum peaces on the outside and inside. Also be sure you get a ok heatsink for your CPU, too big and it might not fit.

12. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

>> Update [13.07.04]

Got the mesh :) . Had to get it in box form though, but the panels will be easily cut out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will be cutting and fitting tomoro :thumb: .

Last edited: 13 Jul 2004
  13. jodathmorr

jodathmorr What's a Dremel?

OMG!! T3H SM4RT!!

I've been looking for some really sturdy mesh for my pc! Did you get those at Ikea? Those would be perfect.

14. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=196009&entryFlag=false&PRODID=196079

:)

As an aside, I was thinking about maybe putting a cheap second hand Mini ITX motherboard inside on of the smaller boxes along with all the necessary bits to make it a working computer. I've measured and it would fit nicely and be ventilated very well :D .

15. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

>> UPDATE [14.07.04]

Ta-daaaaaaa! :D

[​IMG]
    On the top.

[​IMG]
    On the side.

Stuck on with Blue-Tac right now, but I'm still tryng to find something that will be suitable undr the heat and obviously, not making it stand off the panel too much. Any suggestions welcome :) .

16. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

It's about 0.5cm of what looks like wax :confused: . It's a white-ish colour and is apparently fairly easy to cut through.

PM me for a pic if you're still interested :) .

17. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Now let see some overview shots :) Closeups just dont cut it for me!

18. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Picky beggar :D .

Front overview
    Rear overview

:thumb:

19. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Update [03-09-04]

Ok, the putting together of the Aria is coming along, but I am having a problem getting the PSU in and routing the cables neatly. Anyone else care to show me how they've tidied their cables?

Pics will follow, but at the moment, I'm waiting to go to work :rolleyes: .

One thing I was thinking about was the potential of an external PSU. I know this somewhat defeats the point, but I am interested in putting the PSU outside the case and I know that the space freed up would be great and would enable me to get my VGA Silencer and a better heatsink for my CPU.

Any thoughts on this?

20. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Update - 04.09.04

After quite a hard slog, I managed to get everything in. To be honest, the case isn't particularly friendly in terms of building. The sliding drive rtay isn't that helpful unless you have extensions on the power and date cables and the PSU cables come out at a particularly unhelpful point :rolleyes: . Also, there's no floppy power connector on the PSU. I know there's no space for one, but it means that I have to buy an adapter if I want to put my SATA drive in.

I am determined to make it better, so I have decided to remove the optical drive and will put it in an external enclosure. The HDD will then sit in the 5.25" bay and this should free up some space.
    As for the PSU, I'm not really sure about this at all. An external one would be great, but the size of it would completly eliminate the point in having the Aria the size that it is. There may be space at the front of the case for it and seeing as I won't be using the bottom 3.5" bay, it might just fit. It would however cause a problem as the power connector is at the back.

Feel free to give ideas :) .