1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding good cheap case for modding?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by apollyon, 12 Jul 2004.

1. apollyon

apollyon What's a Dremel?

I wanna get started on my first modding project, but money is an issue atm (poor lil college student, every1 cry for me), so i'm looking for a good case to destroy in the 60 dolla or less range. I know this isn't gonna get me much, and certainly not anything near the best, but i just need something that isn't a total piece of crud. Reccomendations?

2. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Go to an online store that sells cases, such as Directron.com or FrozenCPU.com and take a look at the wide variety. There are all kinds of cases for every price range. If you plan on modding, you should have an idea of what you need to work with. You might get a better response if you pick out a few cases and ask peoples opinions on them, but even then, your case is your choice. Pick something you like that you can work with.

3. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

4. apollyon

Okay, i'm looking at one of the following:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-036&depa=1
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-117&depa=1
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-195-002&DEPA=1
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-126-995&depa=1

planned mods are new paint job w/ a mirror finish, stealthed drives, and all the other basic first timer mods, window, top window, blowhole, etc.

which way do you think i should go, and why (i.e. ease of cutting, etc.)
    also, can any1 point me to a good guide on educating how to wire up LEDs? I'm interested in using them in my mod, but don't know squat about them, like how resistors, that kind of thing, etc.

5. apollyon

12 hours and no opinions? come on, I see you people on here 24 hours a day, some one has to be able to give me an opinion one way or t'other

6. kobaj

kobaj Banned

i realy like the third one and for the mod guid there is one in the electronics thread and if you dont mind yousing your own case there is a good kit at www.jameco.com you will have to search around a little to find

7. Black

Black What's a Dremel?

8. omicron

omicron Baud.

The Centurion 2, while both aesthetically pleasing and relatively cheap, is steel.

9. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

I reckon you wouldn't really be able to do much with the 3rd one but I do like the last one, because it's more of a blank canvas which is what I like personally. But it's your choice so you just choose the one you think you can make look l33t!

10. lunix_user

lunix_user What's a Dremel?

for a case, you really do want something very solid and very basic.
    thats why i like the 1st one.
    the only mod already made is the x thing on the front.

for others though, the antec looks really nice.
    but, the door is preference, really.

2+3 are probably good deals, and they both include a crappy psu.

anyway, no.1 (the cooler master) is like a mini lian-li. it would also be my choice.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2004
  11. kobaj

kobaj Banned

i guess your right i would say the 1st one then

12. Nath

I agree with the advice from lunix, you would want a solid one; I bought a couple of cases to have a mess around with and they were cheap and naff to be honest, they really aren't strong so you'd be best going with a well constructed one.

13. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

I too am a poor student.. so I'm building my next case from scratch out of perspex. $60 is a truckload of perspex :D And besides, you know for sure noone will be using xxx case as their base that way ;)

14. Nath

man you're gonna be getting loads of perspex for $60...

15. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Just letting you know - the third and fourth cases are just the same case - one is premodded and the other isn't. I've got another case which is blatently the same, but again, slightly different. They're quite nice really, especially for $25. Quite a lot of modding possibilites, which is nice. The only problem I have is that the Power button is huge and tacky. The PSU that comes with it isn't that bad though (Assuming it's the same one I have) - Mine's been reliable so far, the 12V rail is a little under - nothing to worry about though.

Having said that, the Antec looks nice, and I would personally go for the Coolermaster. Looks like there's less plastic involved, and as someone has already said - it's more of a "blank canvas" :thumb:

16. apollyon

thx for the advice all, i believe i am gonna go with the coolermaster. I've always heard very good things about the brand, and the price is definetly right.