1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling thermal take 2 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alden, 14 Jul 2004.

1. alden

alden What's a Dremel?

I just installed this kit and my temps are higher with this than my plan old fan. I think i may have did something wrong it doesnt seem like the water is really flowing that good that i can tell also there are alot of bubbles can someone please give me some advice. I know its not the greatest system on the planet but, i just want stable temps.

Thanks,

2. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

Yup :wallbash: When you watercool, you get what you pay for.
    Probably not.
    craptastic pump to complete the craptastic kit ... :duh:
    Bubbles are normal, and they will eventually dissolve back into the water, so dont worry there.
    Thermaltake makes hands-down one of the worst (if not the worst) off the shelf watercooling kits, and all the advice I have for you is to ditch the kit, sell it on eBay to some other unsuspecting soul, then run like a madman and get a nice thermalright heatsink and a 92mm fan. It would be quieter and much better at keeping your temps in a decent area.

Sorry about the bad news on that kit... :waah:

-OMP

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Aquarius II I presume?

Well it all deopends what heatsink and fan you started with! I have used this kit and it did ok for my purposes, but its not a high performance kit as such.

Anyway, I don't think you should be seeing bubbles so maybe something is not right. Can you tell us how you've set it up (what order the parts are in) Is the water level in the pump high enough?

Oh and for the record what are you cooling with it?

4. Darv

Darv Bling!!

It is regarded as one of the worst watercooling kits, although not as bad as the globalwin one.

To get rid of the bubbles you need to just run it for a while and they should dislodge themselves. Try tipping the system in different directions, that should move them too.

5. alden

alden What's a Dremel?

thx for the tips guys.

Is there a way i could just upgrade one thing at a time like get a new pump right now and this work ok? I was thinking of getting a new pump first then a new cpu block and later a new radiator. Any suggestions?

6. Risky

Risky Modder

Yes, but I dont't have time just now to answer - watch this space :)

7. at_mosby

at_mosby What's a Dremel?

Global Win not good?

Sigh.

I picked up a Global Win Silent Stream kit not too long ago. So far it keeps my system happy and cool.

And on the very plus side, it has sparked my interest in water cooling, so I hope the kit isn't all bad. (I have the revised version of the kit with the flexable hose)

Comments on the kit or pointers to faqs always welcome.

AT

8. alden

alden What's a Dremel?

wow thanks ....

I've been apart of this community forever and this is prolly the worst i have ever seen when it comes to helping others out.

9. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

Don't read too much into this as an example for the rest of the Bittech community. Were just giving you a hard time because you went with a crap TT product that you can't do anything with and you are looking to us for help with it. Risky's setup has its problems too, and we've all ribed him about it so he may be truthfully busy fixing it up...we never know :p

I made a suggestion to get a thermalright HSF and a 92mm fan to replace that watercooling kit, and that is pretty much what you can do if you don't want to continue with watercooling. If you do want to continue watercooling, ditch that kit and check out a basic kit from the likes of Dangerden (www.dangerden.com) or Dtek (www.dtekcustoms.com). Both will work well, and won't cost that much price vs. performance wise. Upgrading the pump with the TT won't help you at all. The first thing you should upgrade if you go that route is the radiator. Go to at least a single 120mm radiator or heatercore insted of that crap TT one. Then get a better pump suited for 1/2'' Inner diameter systems, change the tubing and waterblocks, and then you will have a nice system going on (this basically means ditching the TT, but thats pretty much all you can do).

Good luck!

-OMP

10. Risky

Risky Modder

Yeah my verious setups always need some work, but the main comment I get it that I need to tidy up my cables :confused:

Now on the matter of the TT kit. I have the slight advantage of having run one of these kits (which performed fine for my purpose at the time) and thus have asome vague idea of what can be done with it. It is NOT a high-end (or even a mid-range) kit and is not priced as such.

Now what you have on your hands here is:

80mm rad
    waterblock
    Pump
    6mm ID tubing.

Now contrary to some advice you might get you can run a watercooling rig without getting 1/2" ID tubing, a heatercore and the rest. Aquacomputer and many other German brands use 6mm ID and and cool very effectively. This kit isn't up to the same standard at all, but may be able to do the job depending on what you're up to. It will not cool as well as a high-end aircooler, maybe event not as quietly, but it can cool reasonably well and reasonably quietly.

Now the first problem is the bubbles in the pump. This could be down to an insofficient water level so can you check to see if the level inside the pump is hiegh enough. If the surface is anywhere near the outlet you're going to have problems. So make sure all is filled up and that the kit is connected in the right order.

That said id you want to stick with the same kit, then you're first step would be to get a better pump. The cheapest you will find will be some of the submesible aquarium pumps (suchas the Ehiem compact 300, maxijet etc) and this should improve the weakest point in the rig. However they will need to sit submerged (time for the famous plastic storage box again, and you may need an adaptor to get the outlet tubing fitted.

To be honest, with kits such as the WaterChill entry level dropping so cheap, the Aquarious is looking poor value, though when it launched is was in a price bracket completely below the serious kits. It's hard to say for sure that you should invest too much in working with this kit, but a little dabble might be viable. If you're thinking of sticking with watercooling anyway then have a look around for a cheap lower-power pump - try the forsale sections, adapt if for the hose and see how it goes.

I still have my old kit and was going to adapt it as a northbridge cooler, but now I may mod it into one of my mATX boxes for my own amusement.

The best advice I can give is to see if you can get it working correctly first and then have a think what you want to do.

Do you really think that pump could support a heatercore? Its an amusing idea.

11. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Yes! a heatercore is much less resistant to flow than a tubular rad like in the tt kit :)

12. alden

alden What's a Dremel?

wow thanks that helped out alot i may just keep this kit and try to use it with my micro atx i have and then go with some danger den products. I really want to stick with the water cooling its something new and fun.

Thanks

13. Risky

Risky Modder

Good option on balance.

But there's a lot of different kit out there to pick from. Work out where you stand in regard to price/cooling/noise/looks and even then there's rarely only one choice. Post here and you should get a whole bunch of opinions, mostly a lot better informed than my own!

Tags: