1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New DivX Codec Provides Quality, Feature Enhancements

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 16 Jul 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Rejoice, for your video will become clearer! this from ExtremeTech:

DivXNetworks Inc. released version 5.2 of their popular codec on Thursday, with substantial improvements in video quality and a bitrate calculator to help manage file sizes.

As usual, the software codec was released in two versions: a "professional version" and a free download for Windows 98 through Windows XP.

DivX has evolved a cult following among the enthusiast community, which has used the codec to rip and record various video files. Many DVD makers are beginning to build in support for the DivX codec because of previous agreements with chip makers; DivX maintains a list of certified DVD players on its web site.

The new 5.2 codec contains several improvements, according to chief architect Eric Grab. At a high level, the software performs about 20 to 30 percent better than the previous codec, which Grab said had the same video quality as Microsoft's own video codec, Windows Media Video 9. Objective video-quality metrics are open to debate, but the best performance of the new codec's performance enhancements will be felt at bitrates of between 800 Kbits to 1 Mbit, Grab said, as defined by the peak signal-to-noise ratio. The ability to encode video has also improved, allowing encoders to encode data as much as three times faster than WMV9, he said.

More here

2. KryoNexus

KryoNexus What's a Dremel?

That is sweet. I have been a long time fan of DivX, as far back at DivX 3.x. Now, if only more standalone DVD players would decode DivX

3. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

now if only divx wouldn't have sold their souls to GAIN. I'm running old ass hacked version of the codecs just so I don't have to install their adware/spyware. By uninstalling their ad **** you cant use the codecs

4. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Hell, I wish there was one codec for everything :rolleyes: . I hate having to download all these different ones, just means conflicts and more third party rubbish on your comp.

5. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

*ware sucks. : \

6. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

Well, there are the nimo and kazaa lite codec packs...

7. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

i am using one of tose (can't remeber which) but its an older codec. I would like to have the newer features, I jsut dont want to hand them over my PC.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nimo is the biggest pile of ****e ever, even worse than realplayer and anything with kazaa in the name should be treated in acid with a barge poll cause it probably contains some sort of virus or *ware.

9. Jedi

Jedi What's a Dremel?

true nimo is pure crap, keep it simple:

ffdshow for mpeg4 decoding
    ac3filter for ac3
    ogg for oggmedia

all free codecs and at least the first two are lovely sourceforge :D

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

this man speaks the truth :D

11. LittleLucy

LittleLucy What's a Dremel?

Hi I use to use Klite codec pack 2.4 and had no probs then I installed the next two updates 2.5 2.6 and found some movies wouldnt play, so I decided to clear them out and now only install a codec when I find I need one.
    That was a few months ago and I have only needed to install a few.

WMP9 - and its codec pack.

Lame mp3 - that I use for Audiocity.

AC3 - I found one movie that had no sound so I checked it with G Spot and it needed this.

And I got the Real and Quicktime Alternative that uses Media Player Classic that also plays DVD,s and svcd's

Then I have Divx 5.1.1 free, (soon to update) for converting DVDs.

I have recently got myself a great DVD convertor its called "ImTOO DVD Ripper" it can convert a whole DVD 1.5hr movie in about 1.5 hrs. and its really simple to configure and the quality is great. I got sick of programs like Easydivx freezing and DVDx was difficult to configure and "VDub Mod" running the audio out of sync. I still use VDub for editing.

12. LittleLucy

Hi,
    Im back, and Ive just tested the new Divx 5.2 and it works fine :D

13. Gambleputti

Gambleputti What's a Dremel?

Forget all those divx players and stuff. Go and download VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) it's an open source videoplayer that doesn't make you have to install any codecs.

14. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

15. LittleLucy

You still have to install codecs for convertions.
    Videolan doesnt support "Real" so you still have to install that. And I have tried a few versions of Videolan and I found it to be very unstable and it froze my sytem a few times I had the same problems with AVI Preveiw and BS Player.
    I will stick with WMP and Media player classic with a couple of codecs thanks :eyebrow:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ab-so-uckin-lutely. :thumb:

although i do install stuff like ape and wmp9 codecs and real alternative and quicktime.

BSplayer is the shiznit, works great. Even better when you know all the keyboard shortcuts too.

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

personally i prefer zoomplayer to bsplayer, but thats jsut personal preference really
    wmp sucks balls :p

Tags: Add Tags