1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project OutPost ..:: Linux Router ::.. Updated 7/16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Johnnyonetime, 13 Jul 2004.

1. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

Looks good. I've been thinking of modding my router (running Smoothwall) in a similar fasion.. only I was going to make the switch internal as well :)

2. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

so smoothwall's an os or just a program?????

3. Johnnyonetime

Johnnyonetime What's a Dremel?

coil - I would use some type of switch like that but it's an AT style power supply switch. It clicks in and locks, and then you unclick it and it turns the PC off. Excuse my ignorance but will a fuse style power switch work like that? I have 4 wires coming off of that power switch right now:

1 - ground
    2 - power
    3 - ?
    4 - power

I think that's how it works, the 2 powers connect when the switch it down.. I dunno. If another switch will work then I'm down for it, until then..

4. H2O-G33K

Smoothwall is another linux firewall.. very VERY similar to IPCop. I've used both, but personally, I prefer Smoothwall as it 'feels' much slicker / further down the development cycle.

5. Nath

thanks, I might just have to give this a go on my p3 550MHz web/file server.

6. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Smoothwall is okay provided you don’t have to ask the programmers a question, seesh talk about getting upset. I haven’t used it in awhile, might be time to check it out again.

Your mod is a piece of security equipment that’s been stealthed (is that a word?) very practical. Good Job.

7. Nath

yea stealthed is a word.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well I'm not sure about that... but it's definately in the modder's vocabulary. I think we made it up :rock:

9. Johnnyonetime

Johnnyonetime What's a Dremel?

Man if you have a P3 550 you could have a sweet little router/file server linux box. Slackware 10, 2 NICs, Samba, IPTables, a couple of commands and you'd be in business. :thumb:

Thanks :D I'm looking for a good tux sticker I could put on the side to really convey that it's a firewall box

10. H2O-G33K

I think they're much better than they used to be, although in all honesty, I've never had to - any problems I've had were quickly resolved by posting on their forums. There's a huuuuge amount of information there. There's loads of stuff about clever mods you can do to a 'smooth' box.. I've done a load myself such as port knocking (where you 'tap' various ports in order to open another port to your IP) for example.

11. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

I know this is a bit old...but the images dont work and I would like to see :idea: