Modding cpu to hot???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by destinysdad2003, 17 Jul 2004.

1. I have a curious Question.. why would my cpu stay at 58 to 61degrees celcious if I have the TT12 extreme cpu cooler and 5 case fans(3blowing in, 2 blowing out) am I missing something?? im running the AMD XP 2500+ barton if that helps.

thanks in advanced
    DEST

2. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Are you sure the heatsink is properly mounted? Have you used thermal paste?

3. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

is your heatsink clean? Dust can affect cooling very adversely

4. the heatsink is mounted like it should be, but there could be dust in it, I live in the desert in south west part of usa, lol, I will have to look at it on monday and see, so I can pick up some thermal paste or strip, could there be anything else that could be causing it, I know I have a black light in my case, its a computer blacklight, but I wouldnt think it would give off much heat. plz advise further if its possible, I will also take pics of my case soon, no prject log since I didnt get time to take pics.

thanks in advance
    DEST

5. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

remember with air cooling it generaly never gets cooler than the air around it too. What are your room temps generally at?

6. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

If cleaning the heatsink and replacing the thermal compound doesn't fix it, try Delta fans.
    I have at least one in each of my computers (and 3 in my ethernet switch :brrr: ) and those Deltas sure are good for keeping things cooled down.

7. Dimazz

Dimazz What's a Dremel?

Are you sure that temp is even accutate? Where are you getting your readings from?

ADD :: BTW hey star, dont know if u member me from PR, why havent u been round PR lately?

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well living in the desert could do it too, it tends to get warm there...

9. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

now another question i would have to ask is is this thing ontop of the desk or under it and in a corner? it could be recycling its own air and that would explain things.

if it is ontop of the desk is it in the sun? if so this will make the thing like a oven.

if it is on the desk and not in the sun then i would reccomend checking the fan to make sure it is spinning at the right speed and change your thermal paste. clean the whole thing and double check everything during the re-install.

is your CPU damaged? i know that damaged AMDs can still run just fine but they run HOT. for example my AMD athmon XP 2500+ runs at 120F with a WATERCOOLING SYSTEM by swiftech. check the CPU core during the cleaning.

let us know how things go.

10. ok I checked both my cpu and grease, all was good, no dust in it, I did replace grease. couldnt tell if the cpu was cracked or not, my eyes are kinda bad, I am looking at upgrading soon, to newparts, to the amd64 bit system, but I still cant figure out why cpu is hot, I check the temps in the bios, not sure if they are accurate or not. any more help would be appreciated

thanks ,
    DEST

11. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Carefully touch the heatsink after the machine has been running for a while.
    If it's not that hot, you have bad contact or the sensor is inaccurate.
    If it is hot, then the sensor is likely telling the truth, and some Delta fans are the solution.

12. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Well, Delta fans might not be the only solution.

Generally, the Thermaltake heatsinks are pretty bad. Mine sure was. You might look into a Thermalright heatsink. They're generally $30-$40 dollars, and cool very well. One thing you should do, though, is save the fan from the Thermaltake. The Tt SmartFan 2 is quite nice.

13. Jim-retired

Jim-retired Cooler Master

Quite right. There are many other options.

Jim

14. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Delta fans are not the only solution, but they're a good solution that has proven themselves in industrial-quality IT equipment (like many servers, networking equipment (you know Deltas must be good when Cisco uses them in their switches and routers), and large UPSes (I've seen a huge UPS (guessing 10,000W or above) when I was helping Caitlin Williams install a new server, and the UPS has 6 120mm Deltas :brrr: )).
    With reliablity being of utmost importance for business equipment, they wouldn't be using Deltas if they weren't reliable!
    I use Deltas in my computer equipment, and they help keep the electronics cool (any good technician knows that heat kills electronics).

15. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

I won't deny that Delta's are great, but they're just too damn loud. [insert earmuffs smilie here]

I think the heatsink is more of the problem in this case, because the Tt SmartFans can push a lot of air. :eeek: