Cooling Best Fans?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Risky, 15 Jul 2004.

1. Risky

Risky Modder

Up to noe I've been pretty faithful to Papst (at a cost that I decline to add up :rolleyes: ) However I've heard some claims that the 'Noiseblocker' fans are superior.

I'd be interested if anyone has tried both as I want to replace my curent setup (120mm Rad-in, 80mm exhaust and 80m PSU) with something offering RPM monitoring and wondered what the best route would be.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: 15 Jul 2004
  2. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

i was a fan on panalo but now that i tried silenx nothing comes close to them... expensive but then again its worth it for the lack of noise in the background.

www.silenx.com for the fans

3. Risky

Risky Modder

That around the price I tend to pay anyway but as far as I can see there's no tacho-signal which is one of my prerequisites.

4. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

what are your criteria?

you see in certian situations you might not mind a little more noise.

a lot of people look at factory ratings and make thier judgements based o that but a good thing i see happening here is people giving thier experiances with the product.
    but one thing people need to consider is what job will the fan do and what is exceptable noise to preasure ratio or CMF

not the same and more important when cooling rads since they have to push air harder to get the air through the rad higher preasure is important .

for instance papst fans ( M1) are pretty nice for this because they have a good balance of CFM preasure and noise but may not be ideal if you arnt using a rad or its a thinner rad that dont present to much air restriction .

some fans are better at sucking ( sorry i just couldnt resist the pun)

5. Risky

Risky Modder

Criteria would be best performace at low noise levels.

At the moment I have all Papst fans all rated <=28dB and even then they're on a Rheostat. I'm not willing to increae the noise levels and wondered if there are any worthwhile alternatives at that performance levels.

6. Jim-retired

Jim-retired Cooler Master

Cooler Master has a number of fans that pump a lot of air and run very quiet. Here's an 80mm Tri-Blade fan at 19.3 dB-A. An open frame X-Fan, also at 19.3 dB-A, UV Silent Fans and the new LED Clear fans running at 22 dB-A, and the old standard, beautiful LED Fans at 25 dB-A.

These are just a few quiet solutions for case fans. I have five 80mm LED fans in my Wave Master, including one on the CPU Cooler, and a 120mm fan in the power supply and it's one of the quietest computers I have owned in this decade (I had a couple in the early 90s that had NO fans, but they had NO speed either).

Jim

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Seconded. I just recieved one of their fanless PSUs too! :thumb: Of course the heatsinks are so big I'm going to have to rethink my modularization plans...

Tags: