1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2u Htpc

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by RubberDuck, 23 Jul 2004.

1. RubberDuck

RubberDuck What's a Dremel?

This project started out with 2 strict rules:

1. No cash spending what so ever..
    2. Use whatever is laying around...

As it turns out i had this Whitney chipset mobo with a Celeron466 VGA+Sound just begging to join in on the mod.
    I found the case in a dumpster (actually it was 2 of them, and i'll use the other one in my next project) it's an old Bay Networks "Baystack Access Node". It has a very comfertable access as u can see in the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to cover that hole next to the audio. part of it will be for a network card socket.
    [​IMG]

Need to add in a Blow hole for the PSU not quite decided where to cut.. :dremel:
    [​IMG]

Easy Access!
    [​IMG]

The PSU(Liteon 90W) and HD(Maxtor 40G 5400rpm) were laying around...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's far from being complete, i need to find a way on how to stick in a DVD(looking for a laptop one), change the power and restart buttons, get an LCD display for the front bazel(though it will probably be involved in spending some cash, which i stated early is out of the question..).
    I'm open for ideas.

2. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

oh! very nice! what is the siZe of that thing?

3. RubberDuck

44*22*8 cm

4. Frink

Frink What's a Dremel?

Is this merely going to be a media storage PC? I was just curious how you were going to fit a TV capture card in that. I alwasys thought that you had to have a 4U rackmount case before full sized PCI cards would fit. Regardless, interesting project. I really like the look of rackmount components.

5. RubberDuck

Well, u r right there isn't a tv card and that's because there is no space 4 it.
    Some may see it as a drawback but i see it as a challenge, I'm already working on a kit that would make the conversion from VGA 2 TV.
    Aside from that my main intention was to use this HTPC with my LCD projector
    (no money spent on that either, did all the repair by myself sticking to my "No cash Spending" moto....).
    I know this HTPC is a bit poor on the addon's but my goal was to fit all those components into that rack and make it usefull while sticking to the "No cost" moto, which i think i did quite well.
    reuse and recycle.

6. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

you could always use a 90 degree riser card to add in a video/capture card, but that's prolly gonna cost you a few $$, plus the capture card. If get a laptop CD/DVD make sure you get an IDE adapter for it too. Perhaps you could trade some goodies here so that you're "not spending anything" eh?

I've been attempting the same thing, but i'm prepared to shell out a fiar ammount of cash, and also send out for fabrication of the case...

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah about five bucks. But I guess that's out of your budget... :rolleyes: Interesting idea though. I just got a case for one of those tiny EPIA boards today (board was out of stock, back in probably thursday) and I've gotta say I like the space-saver idea.

8. Snaek

Snaek What's a Dremel?

That looks like a nice little case... and best of all, it's free!

9. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

well u could fit a tv card if u used a 1u pci riser like thishttp://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/91
    theres also one with two slots but it might not fit

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think the two slot one only works in via epia motherboards. Using one riser that goes twice as high and an extender and one normal riser would give you two slots right over each other.

What's that brown slot on that board though? I swear it looks like a PCIE 1x slot from it's size and it's definately too short to be AGP even though it's where an AGP slot should be

11. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

why would they only work with epia boards a pci is a pci :eyebrow:
    idk what the lot is but i have one under my pci's

12. RubberDuck

That brown slot is an AMR slot... i don't have an AGP.... that's why i'm planning on buliding a VGA 2 TV kit that will plug in externally.
    Later on i'll replace the picture to a better one's.