1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks basic wireless question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skeletor121, 22 Jul 2004.

1. skeletor121

skeletor121 What's a Dremel?

I'm not a computer genius, but do know a thing or two about them. The question I have is about hooking up 2 computers to the internet using a wireless modem/router. Do I have to have the router connect to one of the computers using wire or can I just go wireless from the router to both computers? This is my first time looking into wireless and have no clue about it. The reason I don't want to hook up the router/modem to the computer directly is that the house is old and doesn't have a lot of areas where there are power outlets and a phone hook-up in the same area. The basic idea: modem/router hooked into the phone line (dsl hook-up) and the 2 computers would be wireless. Thanks.
    -Scott

2. skeletor121

I'm stupid, I know. I have already answered my own question and hope I didn't bore you all too much.

3. fatal_error

fatal_error What's a Dremel?

once it's all up and running it will be fine connecting wirelessly from both computers, in fact that's what i'm doing right now!

4. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

Yup, the only thing the wireless router needs to be tethered to is power and your cable/dsl modem.. :)

Just remember, when you do set up your router pay close attention to security settings, ie use WPA and change the default SSID to something more unique.. Better yet if it lets you, turn off SSID broadcast..

-scoob8000

5. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

I'm assuming that you haven't picked out a particular model yet. The Linksys 802.11g 54Mb wireless router is an outstanding buy (brand zealot!) and will have enough range and security features to keep any home user happy. Some of the cheaper wireless models/brands don't have the features of the Linksys, i.e. configurable WEP security, NAT hardware firewall, port forwarding, DMZ hosting (for web/games server outside of the firewall), and much more. The cost of 54Mb wireless has come down significantly in the last year and really is worth the extra few $$ you pay for it (vs. 11Mb).

Buying the same branded wireless cards is usually the best idea, as they are normally made to work with their counterparts, but any wireless card will be able to connect in some form.

As far as connection goes, a wired connection is significantly faster and more secure, but it depends on your home layout for feasability. If you have a phone jack near the geographic center of your home, put the router there, as the signal will reach all other parts better. Farther distances from the router mean signal loss and slower connection speeds. So if you have a "common" use computer in a central location, see if you can connect it with a cable, as it will have a faster connection and won't be prone to wireless "snoopers" that may be wandering through your neighborhood.

Setting the security is a BIG MUST! If you leave the SSID broadcast option turned on, the router will talk to anyone with a wireless card and TELL THEM the name of the workgroup and allow them FREE ACCESS! :sigh: Not good! Enabling the Wireless Encryprion Privacy (WEP) will add up to 128 bit (or more) encryption to your signal, making it almost impossible for a casual snooper to gain acces to your network, and more importantly your bandwidth.

I think that covers the basics.

HTH (hope that helps!)

6. skeletor121

Thank you for the information. I didn't know about the SSID stuff. I will make sure that is turned off. Luckily I do not have to worry too much about that since I live in Military Housing (the area I'm in is small, barely any traffic, and we are pretty secure). Thanks for all the good info.

7. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

Mmmmh, military housing. It's been a few years since I've lived on-post. Just keep in mind that the theoretical max range can be well outside of your yard, so it always pays to be safe.

Tags: