1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: HYPERCUBE² 21/03/2005 PICTURES FROM CEBIT

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Joungne, 18 Jul 2004.

1. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

2. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

actually it looks like the front cover of the first one which i was referring to..

3. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Oh well

Let me do the honors of making the 100 post in this tread. I have to thank all of you for all those lovely words. I would like to thank... blablabla ;)

I have to admit I think the first Cube movie was better, but the second one had such an awsome decor, that I had to build it into a PC.

I didnt find the time to update anything today. Nothing special happened. I encountered some minor unexpected problems, so it was back to the drawingboard again. Hopefully I can solve them tomorrow. (didnt know plexi would bend that much ;) )

Now its off to bed,

till tomorrow

greetz,
    Joungne

edit: hmmm, you have to be very quick in here to make a post :sigh:

4. Nath

Whoops... :worried: :duh:

Sorry about that jounge. I guess you do have to be quick...

5. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

Seriously Blue Infinity. RELAX. Just because i didnt visit his website to before i relax, you dont have to flame me like that :waah:

I'm sure he didnt write it at first, but i could be wrong.

So take a break sport! :wallbash:

6. Nath

Sorry mate, didn't mean to flame. :duh:

7. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

flame

EUH, is it because I'm Belgian, but what is "to flame someone" ??

8. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

Hmmm how should i explaine it. If someone says something, maybe a little retarded, and then someone says he is an idiot, or what he said was lame. Dunno how it should be explained otherwise... :confused:

you know.. There is something you just know what is, but is kinda hard to explain. :worried:

Edit: See this site . That should explain it a little better :)

9. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Project HYPERCUBE² Day 11

26/07/2004 DAY 11

Ok here we are again. I had some small unexpected problems the last two days, so I didnt do much modding. I tried to solve the problems, and 1 of them is already solved. I'll explain in the next pictures.

[​IMG]
    Remember this picture? Well this was also the first problem. I glued the profiles on the plexi and was thinking this should be ok. The next day when I woke up I saw that the plate wich was in the case with all the periphals on was bending down seriously and 1 of the profiles allready came loose. (Sorry I have no picture of this, think I was a bit confused at the time). So this needed a solution.

[​IMG]
    The solution : just bolt it together. I should have done that the first time. You can see the drilled hole (2.5mm) trough the plexi plate into the metal(2.5mm)

[​IMG]
    Result of the drilling, a nice hole :)

[​IMG]
    After making all the holes, I bolted the plexi to the metal, and put a rubber ring under it to keep the plexi from tearing. (Also it looks kinda nice :)

[​IMG]
    The bottom side

Next thing on the list was making the little outside transparent plexi panels for the front and the back.

[​IMG]
    Things needed : cutter, ruler, printout of the front, some masking tape and of course a plexi plate.

[​IMG]
    1. Cutout of the shape out of the printout
    2. taped the shape onto the plexi plate
    3. Cut around the shape
    4. Time for the jigsaw (these were actually a bit hard to do because the are pretty small)
    5. Little closup
    6. Finished cutout, it still has to be sanded down.

[​IMG]
    1. Sanding down the plate
    2. Backside panel totally done
    3. Closup of backside panel
    4. Frontside panel totally done

It took me about 8 hours do to 8 little shapes, but it was necessary they fitted very good to the inox, it had to be 1 line. Still 4 panels to go (top, bottom, left and right panel) this means 16 shapes ----> 16 hours, awch :s I'm not really looking forward to that. Dont even remind me all these edges have to be polished...

[​IMG]
    This package finally arrived today (my girlfriend picked it up at the customs office in Brussels... Tnx Poepie). Guess whats inside ;-)

[​IMG]
    Its my cable sleeving (chrome). Time to test it out. I had this idea to sleeve a fan in a different way then you normally see. I really hate it when you see the wires of the fan coming from the side. Most of the time you can still see a bit of cables, because you cant sleeve it all the way. I wanted a solution for this, so here goes... My lesson in fan sleeving :) (I never saw it before, so I hope I'm the first)

[​IMG]
    1. Take to of these things,in dutch we call them "rondellen"I dont know what they are called in English and I'm to lazy to look it up ;-)
    2. Take one "rondel" and saw a piece out of it.
    3. Should look a bit like this.
    4. Glue the two "rondellen" together.
    5. ...
    6. I have to widen the hole in the center because this is where my silicone tube is gonna fit in.
    7. the bigger hole after sanding
    8. Silicone tube through the hole
    9. Glued it in place and sanded it down a bit. The surface should be flat, but its not gonna be visible.
    10. Now the chrome sleeving

[​IMG]
    1. I attached a little cable to the sleeving, This way its easier to get it through the tube.
    2. Pulling the sleeving in the tube
    3. Sleeving in place, also added a rubber ring.
    4. The 40mm fan which has to be sleeved.
    5. Pulling the wires through the same way.
    6. Now its possible to put the sleeving perpendicular on the fan and glue it in place

[​IMG]
    No visible wires if you glue it on, the sleeving is in the center of the fan :)

[​IMG]
    You can do this with all type of fans, just find "rondellen" that are big enough to cover the center of the fan.
    I hope you like it.

[​IMG]
    My room is getting a bit messy, have to clean it out tomorrow. I find it to be much more pleasant when working in a clean environnement.

Keep on modding...

Last edited: 29 Jul 2004
  10. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Looking good

I think the "rondel" are washers. Are the "rondel" used with nuts and bolts?

keep it up, loving the way this is turning out and the fan mod is a very good idea im sure many people will use that.

11. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Even if the "rondel" arn't washers, I'm sure washers would be a fine substitute :p

12. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

Nice :jawdrop:

And huge monitor :D

13. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

The things you're doing with those fans looks really nice. Havent seen anyone do something like that before. Very innovative. But... Why are you using those small noisy and ineffective 40mm fans instead of something with a much highter airflow... :confused: couldnt find the answer in the thread.

14. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

Probably because the fans have to fit in with the design. Bigger fans wouldn't work out, although he does have bigger fans in other places.

15. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Did you insulate the rondellen/washers from the electronics of the fan? Oh and BTW it looks very nice. :D

16. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Awesome work. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished!

17. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

there's plastic between the elctronics in the fan and the washer. If you look closely you can see them. I though the same thing at first too.

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I was just going to say watch out for shorting stuff out. That's definately a new way to sleeve fans. Tedious definately and probably not for everyone, but it is nice to not have to see the wires down that leg thing.

Great job. You don't cease to amaze me with this case.

19. globe

globe What's a Dremel?

plain amazing, best mod ive seen here ever :)

loved the movie too :p

20. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

40 mm fans

Well like ErronReq said, it has to do with the design. There are 4 40mm fans on the back that will blow the hot air out of the case. But there is also a 80 mm fan that blows out (in the center of the cube) speciallly for the PSU and rheobus.
    I checked the 40 mm fans out before, and they don't make that much noise. About the airflow, that is correct, but I hope 4 of them will solve that little problem.

Got an email today...
    "The domain g-2.be (g-2) has reached 80% of its bandwidth limit.
    Please contact the system admin as soon as possible."

seems like to many people are visiting my website ;) ,have to look into that today. A lot of people have problems seeing the pictures on the site

Now i'm back to my case :)

greetz,

Joungne