1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding problems of modding a PSone lcd

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bent, 20 Jul 2004.

1. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Nah, screw Powerstrip, use vi to edit the XF86Config file (in /etc/X11)!
    Well, you can just tell I like to configure computers by manually editing the configuration files. :)
    A resistor will work for constant (or nearly constant) loads that don't care too much about the actual voltage (like a light or fan).
    For a LCD, this means the voltage will increase when it is displaying dark, and decrease when it is displaying light (which might fight its internal circuits trying to change the voltage to the pixels, reducing the contrast (if it worked at all!)).
    Use a LM317 (heatsinked) and 2 resistors, or the adapter designed for it.

2. w143r

w143r What's a Dremel?

I understand that the voltage changes with contrast and backlight adjustment, however, the difference between the two extremes (which most will not use) is not that great. I have personally used this combination to get great picture and no noticeable contrast issues. Obviously there are better ways than to just use a resistor, but using a resistor carries greater advantage than to use +5v for ground to get 7v. Believe me, I have tried that too, and fried my video card. It melted my RCA cable. I just wanted to warn these people from doing what they think is the easy method.

3. bent

bent What's a Dremel?

any article teach ppl the easier method u mentioned?

4. BakedGoods

BakedGoods What's a Dremel?

Okay I know nothing abot electronics. Can't you just get a car adapter, plug it into the board, cut the car part off. Get a fan, cut the end off of it, and tie the wires from the car adapter to the fan wires and plug it into the psu?

Like this:

LCD <---------- (tie together) --------{ fan molex

Would that work? Is that the right voltage? I don't understand the whole +12v -5v stuff going on, I just assumed this would work...does it?

5. w143r

w143r What's a Dremel?

I can write a simple guide right now, but before you attempt to do this, please provide information in regards to your LCD. I am basing on my LCD which is also a PSOne intended screen made by GameView that I bought from Frys long time ago. It had 5.6" screen, RCA input, and DC jack. The LCD took 7V input at 2A meaning 14W of power consumption

I used a resistor that was 2.5 OHMs 10W to drop the voltage from 12V to 7V. The way I connected it was this

---PSU 12v----resistor----LCD

6. w143r

w143r What's a Dremel?

I have absolutely no idea what are you trying to say :confused: , but let me explain the situation to you :D .

This individual is attempting to use a PSOne LCD screen for computers. The problem is that the "supply voltage" (meaning the voltage from the PSU) is 12V when the LCD needs only 7V. We are attempting to find a way to reduce the voltage safely to not harm the PSU, the computer, or the LCD. There are people that suggest one use a +5V (not -5) as ground and the 12V as the supply current. Since electricity flows to where there is least resistance, it will push against the +5V ground and pass through it creating 7V in return. However, this method would only work given simple circuits. If the ground is a common ground for different voltage parts, there is a HIGH possibility that the ground becomes the supply current. In my case, the RCA ground was connected to the common ground. This means that when I connected the LCD to my video card, a +5v current was ENTERING my card through the RCA jack, resulting in a MELTED RCA cable and fried video card. I just want people to know about this risk.

7. BakedGoods

8. w143r

w143r What's a Dremel?

Basically he used the circuits in the car adapter, cut off the portion that attached to the cigarette lighter and attached a molex. This is a method if you have a car adaptor readily available.

9. MegaRouge

MegaRouge What's a Dremel?

It was very easy to do, which was good for me since I know virtually nothing about electronics. Like it says above, I just cut the cigarette adapter off, and took a molex from a fan and spliced the yellow wire to the live wire of the adapter, and the black wire to the ground wire of the adapter. I plugged it into the power supply and fired it up. Very simple and works great; no messing around with resistors or anything like that. The adapter does all the voltage conversion for the LCD. The hardest part of it is finding the PSOne adapter - I got lucky and got mine cheap, but I don't think they are that easy to find these days.

10. BakedGoods

11. bent

bent What's a Dremel?

my LCD is NTSC 1, which hv a av-in (st35 input) and DC jack.
    also, PSU 12v --- resistor ---(which part of the LCD?)

12. w143r

w143r What's a Dremel?

Do you have a DC plug that would fit into the jack? If you do, that would be the place you connect it. Or else the resistor would connect to the + and the ground would just be to the ground from the PSU

13. bent

bent What's a Dremel?

which is the + & ground? the blue or white wire?