1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does everyone hate Microsoft?!

Discussion in 'General' started by <A88>, 29 Jul 2004.

1. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Just out of interest- why do half of the world's techies hate msoft and/or Bill Gates? IMO he's one of the greatest pioneers in computers and without Microsoft our computers wouldn't be nearly as advanced as they are today. Let's face it- they've given us a great OS that can run on any hardware (perfectly stable as it may not be, it's still very functional and user-friendly), Office tools that are matched by no other and used by the majority of us I assume, and an amazing games-console as well as many great games such as Flight Simulator etc. Add to that the odd $30billion donated to charity by Mr Gates and everything else i can fink of but can't be a*sed to write down, it seems confusing that everyone seems to hate this pair so much! Please explain it and put me out of my curious misery :sigh: :p

Last edited: 29 Jul 2004
  2. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

he's greedy

he just wants money, and to do that, he has to charge money for his products, so, here comes a free alternative, Linux. so, he tries to stop linux (patent war, sco, ect...). so, it really doesn't give people a choice to what their doing*, they have to use MS products. oh yeah, and tcpa, but I don't want to get into that

*people like choices

3. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

I would say it derives from a combination of two main factors.

1) Business practices
    2) Quality of product

MS got its foot in the door, and as soon as it started taking a lead it started chopping down its competitors.

Secondly while Windows is the most used OS it is far from the most reliable. It enjoys the enviable position of being the default OS and therefore most developers of computer software build on their platform.

But for the bottom line, I think most people are really more than a little jealous that the little geek has done so well :p

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Hmm- well I see your point with the patent war, but not the charging. Considering Windows is their main product it's only common sense to charge for it- it is an OS after all! IE, Media Player, Movie Maker etc are all free, and consider the financial success of Microsoft in comparison to the Linux distribution companies, it's obvious that microsoft have done well with Windows. I'm not 'dissing' linux- I'm even trying to install it myself, I'm just saying selling an OS that 90% of the world uses has obviously been a smart move. And as for the greedy bit- may I repeat the recent $27billion charity donation. People seem to hate those who do well for themselved financially and Bill Gates has come from selling software to his university to creating one of the most influential and valuable companies in the world- the fact that it's been a massive success seems to deem him greedy!?

5. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

it seems that most people hate him either becose of the monopoly he has over the industry. ie there isnt MUCH free choice ie when you buy a new puter it has windows on it. when you walk into school there you have windows on every workstation.

yes there are certain companys that offer you different "breeds" of linux or windows. with new machines

now theres also the hatrid for him beacause the aspire to be like him and so successful as him.

but then again there are meny people like that
    Sir James Dyson
    Sir Richard Branson
    there both successfull busnessmen and both own multimillion dollar corporations. but no one hates them because not every vacume cleaner is a dyson or a DC07 for that matter.

people dont hate branson cos there are more phone networks other than virgin. your not forced to use his train service (albeit the cheapest) you dont have to fly virgin. hell if you dont want to me virgin active you can goto david loyds(pimp every one join up to david loyd and make my shared in whitbred go up damit (£8 last time i looked)

but back to windows yes its the simplest widest used os in the world. hell if linux was so easy to use everyone would be useing it. then people would hate the owner of suse LTD(plc i cant remember whitch)

yes i am using linux to write this but that is because my windows install screwed up. and i am finding it the biggest pain in the arse ever.

i cant hotsying my phone cos the software if for windows. i cant use my bluetooth dongle cos the drivers are for windows. i cant play splinter cell cos wine wont let me install it in vertual windows.

i found it a mission to install flash player 7.

im also stuck at 1024x768 so my screen looks like it is on steroids (native res 1280x1024)

aagghh it took me 10 mins to think and write this up oh well

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I think you'll find IBM were the pioneers of the PC world..microsoft have yes, aided in many ways, but they have limited it aswell...MS have just tried to make everything MS, but the law prevents that (thank god.). Basically...they just want to take away the choice. In one way or another they have succeeded, im sure alot of you use microsoft..because you have to. I use it as their is no feasible alternative for me now as MS platforms are the only ones ive taught myself to use ever since i started getting into computers, just because that was what i did when i was young and nieve.....cant be bothered with linux cos not enough stuff runs on it for my liking..and applemac...just dont even suggest that. so yes..thats my answer for you :thumb:

7. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

face it.. every company is motivated by money and power.. microsoft have it, and they would be dumb to let it slip.. so , do what any business does in this world, attempt to remove the competition..

when people go on about how bad windows is, and how it always crashes.. im doubtful its got much to do with the OS, but rather the crappy hardware thats in the system, or the amount of crap, unoptomized software..

yeah, windows OS stolen from apple.. but who cares, if you feel so sorry for apple.. go buy one of their o so wonderful.. proprietory.. non-compatible.. super expencive pc's... oh sorry, thats right their not pc's, their mac's

many people forget that microsoft is more than just windows.. so many people saying, if MS built their own machines, it would be s#it... ahem.. Xbox..

yup, many of the people hatred for MS.. probs derives from jelousy..

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Cheers guys :)

9. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

windows could be abit more streamlines IMO as there is alot of services enabled by default that isnt needed (eating up valubale ram space)

it has so many security holes (bout the same as any version as linux but the ones in linux either A get fixed before its a problem or B dont get exploited because 99% of the internet is windows.

windoews needs a beast of a machine to run it at any resanable speed. whereas i can run knoppix from a 40mb hdd on a 386 with 16 mb of ram and it works just as well as on my 2400+ with 1 gig of ram and raided hard drives.

10. a9on87

a9on87 ...

I'm not trying to be picky, but in my expierence with knoppix you have to have 128mb of RAM, although I may be wrong!

</off topic>

11. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

to run kde, you do ;)

12. penski

penski BodMod

I cant remember a problem with Windows that wasn't caused by third party hardware or software.

I like Microsoft products, I love their mice, I think Win XP is a great OS, I congratulate them on their business acumen and I think Bill Gates has done well for himself and applaud him for his charitable contributions.

On the other hand, I hate Linux.

*n

13. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Yeah, but that's only because it creates a virtual hard-drive in it, not a bloat issue really.

14. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

I Have To Say This

He is greedy but, he is giving large amounts of money away
    to foundations that helps people in other countries
    with their medic equipment,hospitals and other well fare things,,,
    That wasen´t kind of him to try to sink Linux when it just came out.
    But I say this:
    There are plenty of rich people who doesn´t give
    away one penny , so in fact he is on the better half
    with such much money....remember:
    there are many peoples on this earth
    that has much more trouble to live for the day
    than we do.

15. a9on87

a9on87 ...

I was just pointing this out, not saying this was bloat, afterall other distros of Linux, that are non-live, can run on much less than 128

16. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I love Linux, but it's just not ready for the general public to use yet.

It will be, one day. Until then, I'm using Windows. Not because I like it, but because it's the best overall.

17. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

And remeber is "cool" to hate microsoft :wallbash:

18. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

MS has done many good things, but I would suggest they have done more bad than good.

Most techies hate MS because time and time again they have seen MS run a better company with a better product right out of business. MS has survived only by the ignorance of its customer base.

Imagine if automobiles where purchased based only on popularity and style. Mechanics the world over would get an upset stomach if quality cars such as Volvo or Mercedes or Rolls Royce were summarily executed by Yugo. Maybe it looks good, maybe it gets the job done, maybe its popular, and parts are easy to buy, but the world could have been a better place. And no matter how much the public loves their Yugo's, don't expect mechanics to share the joy.

MS products have finally matured as we can see with XP (they finally got Windows 95 right) but we could have been here much quicker. And now that MS has rubbed out the serious competition, they do irritating things like make it impossible to remove MSN.

They poison markets just to kill the competition and then turn on the consumer, just as anyone might expect them to do.

19. RTT

RTT #parp

I think Fedora is getting fairly close :thumb:

I don't 'hate' MS as such. I hated the Win 98/Me era but since then it's been pretty good assuming you can protect your PC from all the **** floating about the internet...

20. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

People hate microsoft because the internet tells them to. That's pretty much the only reason. Most people don't even know why they hate microsoft, they just hate them, for introducing such things to the world as user interfaces. Damn those evil user interfaces and home computers!