1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Rivets - can they be ground down

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Abadon, 28 Jul 2004.

1. Abadon

Abadon What's a Dremel?

hey all got a question about rivets

i dismantled my lianli case completely, leaving just the main chasis intact

everything is held together with rivets, but some of the rivets are set into a countersunk hole to accomodate the paneling to fit ontop, the rivets originally set in the appeared to be ground flush, but i am not sure.

so be it as it may i want to know if they are special flush mounted rivets or indeed ground flush

2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Random fact - In WW2, the RAF made a spitfire with all the rivets ground off, because they understandably thought this may make it faster/more efficient. But it caused it to fly really badly, for some reason.

/offtopic :thumb:

3. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

thx for not helping. :rolleyes:

I would say the standard pop rivets could not be ground down (I assume you mean flush with the surface they are mounted on. Basically the rivet is a pin (or nail) and the head is held in place by the outer ring. If you ground that ring down then it's probably going to let go. I've never tried it but I'm pretty certain that's the case.

4. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

You could probably countersink the rivets yourself...Drill your hole for the rivet and before you put it in, get a larger drill bit slightly larger than the head of the rivet and carefully drill over the hole you've just made. Dont break through, just gouge out a little divet for the rivet ( :rolleyes: ) and I should sit fairly flush.

Only problem is you might be sacrificing a little strength....

5. mod-ern man

mod-ern man What's a Dremel?

6. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

also harbo freight sells a tool to make depressions in the metal so u can use standard rivits, the link to there site is somewere on this forum but i have the paper catalog :p o and did i mention free shipping most of the time

7. Abadon

Abadon What's a Dremel?

YES!!!!!

i got a job in mississauga next week so gonna pass by and pick them up!!

thanks a lot!!!!!

8. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

In case they're outta stock or something...

McMaster Carr has them as well in Al or steel. I know because I just bought a box for my coolermaster case. www.mcmaster.com :thumb: