1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The Legendary Fan Mouse

Discussion in 'Modding' started by djgizmo, 4 Apr 2002.

1. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

the legendary fan-mouse can be found on the inventor's page at:
    http://www.metku.net/rottaflekti/index_eng.html

definetely worth checking out...
    i tried it, and it works...
    despite the few minor setbacks i've had, it works now...
    first, i wold like to say some things, or pointers to anyone doing this:
    1: don't attempt this with an expensive mouse first, try it on a crappy mouse (like a ms intellimouse).
    2:there must be enough space in the mouse to fit the fan
    3:you have to be quite lucky
    4:you must not use super glue to glue the fan to the top of the mouse; i did, but since the surface wasn't completely flat, it came loose when i got to the lan i was going to...in a desperate attempt to fix it, and because i happened to find some of that basic glue they use in school(not a gluestick, that stuff that you twist the top, to open the little hole, and every time you close it, there's some freaking glue plugging up the hole, so you have to wipe it off with your finger) and if you don't know what i mean i'm sorry coz i haven't used it much...so anyway i jammed some of that **** between the pad, the fan and the mouse top, and stuck it under a chair for a couple of hours to dry, and now it's stuck on perfectly...
    5.be careful, and don't cut the fan cords too short...
    and thet rest is common sense

2. ChriX

ChriX ^

Does it cool your hands well while fragging away on <insert fave fps here> ? ;)

3. enfer_know

enfer_know What's a Dremel?

i'd like to see one watercooled......now that would be impressive...

4. bLiNdPyRo

bLiNdPyRo What's a Dremel?

Yes, all you need is to find a pump and a radiator that can fit inside a mouse. :p

5. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

saw this awhile ago.. am i weird or something? my hands dont get sweaty when im fraggin, actually my fingers get quite cold and numb.. dun understand it..

6. ug_the_caveman

ug_the_caveman What's a Dremel?

Is nothing sacred? Sticking a fan in a mouse? That would really annoy me having my hand blown on my a fan all the time. Definately a mod for someone else is this one ;)

Ug :)

7. v0id

v0id What's a Dremel?

i saw that a while back.... it looks pretty awsome, i wanna try it... maybe i will :)

8. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

The watercooling is not so foolish as it looks :

The water etc. should be coming through and extra tube with the serial cable. So there will be two cables, one will be serial, second will be water :) Radiator, pump etc. will be in PC. Best with an water connector... maybe I know how it should look like.

9. lost_prophet

lost_prophet What's a Dremel?

some people do some crazie stuff. I think water cooling a mouse is a little overkill though. Some nice lightning effects would be cool though.

10. Pico

Pico What's a Dremel?

3, the water has to go back to the computer... it would be a pain IMO.

11. Splod

Splod What's a Dremel?

no it doesn't, let the water spray all over your hand CLEANING AND COOLING it at the same time, Genios!!

12. Lag Messiah

Lag Messiah What's a Dremel?

Me too man, my hands are freezing when I get off the comp

13. Daneo

Daneo What's a Dremel?

hobo gloves

pretty much everyone in my lan group (Electronox, hey guys!) has taken some of those cheap cloth gloves, cut of the fingers and cut slits in the joints for extra dexterity. we dubbed them "hobo gloves" try to get the kind with the little not slip nubs one em for your mousing hand.

-keep yo hands toasty

14. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

oddly enough, i was talkin to my gf about this, and she has the idea its cos while say, fragging, your only using a couple fingers, and they arnt really moving that much, just the same repetitive key presses, so the blood doesnt really get flowing..

next mod, screw fans, im makin a heated keyboard/mouse.. :dude:

-scoob8000

15. Daneo

Daneo What's a Dremel?

yeah

i figure ill get a heat lamp, a craper, some of those electronic muscle stimulators, an IV, and turn the gamma up on my monitor, and i should be set for all time.

16. bLiNdPyRo

bLiNdPyRo What's a Dremel?

Now to make a custom shaped waterblock that fits your hand. :)

17. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

whoa........that could quite possibly be the most useless mod ive ever seen before in my life!!!:eeek:

18. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

Hehe, It's still funny to read this topics where people believe that this mod was anything more than a joke. Sure, it works, cools your hand etc. but the real history behind this is that I made this just for laughs. At that time there was a trend to add as many fans as possible to your case and make bigger water cooling rigs etc. I just thought, why not cool down your mouse. ;) When this idea came to my mind I also realized that this could be introduced as hand cooler too. So, I just wanted to add a fan somewhere and mouse was something that nobody hadn't used. Brief history of this ... great mod ;)

19. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I saw that mod a while ago. Thought of it as an ugly one though. Just random holes all over the place sucking and blowing airs. Mods are suppose to be nice to look at. They're not suppose to look like you took a shotgun to your mouse and blew a few holes in it. =).

A water cooled mouse would be kinda nifty though. A little tricky. Not sure if this is possible, but you could unscrew the bottom of a wireless mouse and take out the circuit board. Then take off the bottom and circuit board of its sister (The one thats not wireless). Then switch the bottom and circuit boards. They should be the same. Only idfferent is, there will be an open hole at the front of the mouse. Perfect place for a tube =). You might need to enlarge it a bit because you need a to and from tube. I would probably use some color dye and a light in the water and wrap the tubes spiraly together. That would look pretty neet =). The waterblock would be a problem though. Anyone know how to do that? :eyebrow: . And after that, you have a water cooled mouse :dude: . Or you could use a peltier... Miniture version... For all you people that get cold hands instead of hot =). Of course you might need a warning label on it... "Might cause severe burns or freezing of skin tissue." I have an idea, lets just leave the mouse alone... Poor little rodent.

AstrumProelaitor
    "Still too early in the morning."

20. Rod10k

Rod10k What's a Dremel?

Turn the pelt round and you get instant heat, now it cools the water and heats your hand :)

Rod