Urge to boot, Rising...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BvBart, 30 Jul 2004.

1. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

Anyway, a buddy of mine recently upgraded his computer's mobo to an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, and a whole mess of problems have resulted.

His setup includes:
    Athlon 2400+
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    256 Generic PC2100 RAM
    80Gig Maxtor HDD
    32 MB Asylum Video card
    Windows XP Pro
    2x 80 mm and 1x 120 mm case fans
    ~350W Generic PSU

Now then, he seems to have adequate cooling, as evidenced in the hopefully helpful PC Health tab in the BIOS, but the problem occurs when XP begins its loading process. Before, the comp would shut down midway through the loading process, but after much fiddling with components and settings, we've managed to get it to go so far as to the logon screen, and once all the way into Windows, where after 2-3 seconds, the computer promptly shut down.

Any ideas? As I am thouroughly stumped.

2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Some motherboards have an "auto-off" at a certain temperature - check the BIOS. Although if this is the case, disabling it isn't a very clever thing to do :duh: Unless it's set really low at 30*C or something (Unlikely) But that scenario doesn't seem likely, based on what you've said.

Have you formatted the HDD since the mobo change? WinXP gets sniffy when you change hardware. That would be my best bet :)

Has this the current config ever worked?

3. Foster

Foster What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing that he didn't reinstall XP after the upgrade? Without doing an extensive preparation of Windows or either reinstalling your left with a set of system drivers that will be inaccurate and possibly even incomplete. I'd guess that this is the cause of his crashes.

Just before you give up hope and reformat, one thing you might try is to go into the Device Manager and attempt to remove everything under the System devices entry. Some will refuse to be removed, just ignore these. Once done, cross your fingers, grab your windows disc, and reboot.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Would be great if he could get into Windows :D

Like the other two have said, has he reinstalled windows.
    When changing motherboard, if the chipset is different (ie VIA to NFORCE) windows will not load, as it is set up with all the previous chipset drivers.

Its an easy fix, just set the BIOS to BOOT from CD, put the Windows CD in and reboot, reinstall Windows and that should be it.

Also before trying that just double and triple check that the heatsink is making proper contact, always worth a look.

5. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

Would've been good of me to include this, but yes, we did do a complete reformat and repartition prior to installing the new mobo. We popped his drive into my system and used Disk Management to do the full format, and had Windows setup preform the partitioning.

No, never since the installation of this board, has anything but what I described above happened.

Also, the board does have an auto off that I can't quite remember, but I do remember that his system is running quite below it.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2004
  6. TMM

TMM Modder

Auto off at 60*c on asus boards. although many have found it closer to 80*c. One i had my 1800+ up in the high 60's on my asus and it didn't trip.

7. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

Yea, I checked with him whilst at work today, and the auto-shut-off is at 60 degrees, and according to him, he is currently running in the BIOS at roughly 50-52 degrees. That's the part that confuses me, as the only thing I can think of that could be doing this is the auto-shut-off...

8. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Can you try and get it to boot in safe mode? I doubt this is it but it could be windows fuxored a driver so it won't boot. Also while your at it, try and change the auto off temp to something higher. Also remove any unnessasary devices like Sound cards and extra HDD's.

Good luck!

9. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

We've tried that, and get the same problems, unfortunatly. He doesn't have extra HDD, Sound Cards, and we've tried it with his extra CD-ROM out too... this is most vexing.

10. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Crap im out of ideas. I say try reformating and reinstalling windows again.

11. HRH_Nick

HRH_Nick What's a Dremel?

The only thing I can think of is that something is overheating, but of course the question is what... Surely if it was Windows itself it would at least give you some sort of an error message or something to go on.

12. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

Faster than a Pentium 4, more accurate than a speeding opteron it's Super John Cena to the rescue..

I seen this same problem on many HP machines.

Remove one ram stick, try booting, if it shutdowns, swap the other one, if it shutsdown, use a diff ram dim slot.

That should do it. It reboots because one of the ram stick is faulty.

If none of that works, take out all unceessary hardware and only use the basic
    Videocard, Hardrive, cdrom,floppy
    take out everything else
    Also make sure the jumpers are set right and the hardrive is the master
    only make cdrom master if it's on a ide controller without a hardrive

That should solve all problems. I know it's seems "DUH" but try it because IT WILL WORK.

13. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

That's quite hot idling in the bios - could it be gaining the extra 8 degs during boot up to cause it to shut off? How hot is the heatsink (to the touch when it resets?)

Otherwise I'd say it's memory as John said. Have you tried the RAM in another machine?

Seems the be one of those things regularly associated with instant, no error reboots. Could be the PSU though?

Does it seem to pretty much always go in the same place?