1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding car computer control

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Turbochris, 31 Jul 2004.

1. Turbochris

Turbochris What's a Dremel?

Hey my brothers, here's what the noise in my workshop was all about. I made this for my car computer. It's the control panel, it will go where the radio used to go. I used MS paint. I wish I knew how to use something better.

[​IMG]

The computer is powered by a small 110 volt power supply which is powered by an inverter and this is run off a dedicated battery that's charged through an isolation relay. When the switches are in auto the isolator, inverter and computer will all power up auomatically when I start the car.

The 110 volt connector came off an old bathroom lighting fixture, the LAN connector came from an old LAN card. the USB was from one of those computer slot covers that has 2 USB ports in it. The other USB port will be hidden and it will be used for the non portable USB stuff like the mouse or GPS. The audio connector came from an old sound card. All that stuff was mounted with JB weld. The switches and LED's came from radio shack and the push button came from an old RC car charger.

The panel itself is .090" aluminum. I cut out a blank, then I installed it and shimmed it until it fit real nice in the console where the radio was. Then I traced the border of the bezel that goes over the radio and used it as a guide to make the layout.

I made a ruler in MS paint that was graduated in pixels and I used that to figure out what size to do the layout in. For example- the ethernet connector was 50x60 pixels.

Now I have to wire the dam thing, I didn't really think about that when I made it. :sigh:

[​IMG]

2. godspeed

godspeed Banned

wow its nice

how or what did you print that on because it looks nice i rember doing something like that but it was crappy because i used regular paper and tape

any way is it going to have a screen or is it going to be a headless linux/windows/(insert os of choice) box

3. MaxPOwer

MaxPOwer What's a Dremel?

That does look really sweet! Keep us updated with pictures!

4. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

wow

more pics more nice work :D

5. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

looks good for being made in paint.

6. Forthy

Forthy What's a Dremel?

<deleted>

Last edited: 20 Feb 2015
  7. Turbochris

Turbochris What's a Dremel?

glad you all like it. I printed one panel out in draft mode and stuck it to the aluminum with spray adhesive and used it as a guide to make all the holes in the aluminum. When the aluminum was done I poured lacquer thinner on it to remove the printed panel. I printed out a new panel using high quality settings, when it was done I covered it with some clear contact paper to protect it then I stuck it to the aluminum. I hope it don't fade too much in the sun. Someone is supposed to make fade resistant ink but I can't find it.

Here's the computer, it's all industrial stuff. 800 P3 with a 20 gig hard drive. I made a little dongle so I could run it out of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has an old soundblaster AWE64 Gold in it now and a reveal FM radio card

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the battery/inverter setup. it's in the right rear fender.

[​IMG]

It also has an interface to the computer that controls the engine and transmission. I can record data or change the settings for the fuel, ignition, transmission ands some other things, Been working on it for a while. The engine is a 350 Chevy LT1 from a 1995 Buick Roadmaster that I put in a 1989 Camaro Z-28. Wiring it was a PIA but everything works so I guess it was worth it. Under the hood is done and the dash is mostly back together. I just need to finish the computer, put the carpet in and the console along with the rest of the interior. It's my 3000 pound computer case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :D

8. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

wow man what are you doing with your can :duh: but :dremel: nice

how did you set it up so you can see what your car is doing?

9. godspeed

godspeed Banned

wow sweet mother of mary that is sweet what os are you planning to use

sugestion if you alread haven't thought of it (witch im shure you thought of this) find a cheap tv/fm tunner card that way you can listen to the radio if you listen to the radio

but damn thats sweet i always wanted to do something like that but i neither have the money or the time or the car to sacrifice all i have is one car and i need that to get to work so i can't do any thing to it that takes more than a day

10. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

Nice work!
    I was wondering how you hooked up the lcd sceen, it looks like it is a laptop lcd, is it? Did you hook it up with VESA connector? or some other interface card.

11. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

Wow. Jawdroppingly awesome great work. And the way you talk about it, and the pictures show, you know exactly what you're doing, which is extremely impressive.

You get my Modding Pimp of the month award, congratulations!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

12. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

I like the idea, but a camaro with a PC in it? It seems wrong. I would expect a civic or rsx or eclipse or some other 'tuner' car to have one. (I have a 2001 civic and a 7" DVD player and its a perfect match)
    I'm not a fan of any american car, but hey, I like the mod. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see it done.

13. godspeed

godspeed Banned

me im a fan always liked the camaro even though ive been a ford guy all my life i just wanna say this car is going to be fast you probly be able to change any thing when the car is running witch is nice when i was thinking about i thought up an idea to have a economy mode witch saves gas by lowering the output of the motor and a racing mode were the engines is tuned for 100% output that could be done all in the computer

any way man i can't get over it someone is actully persuing my dream of a completly computer controlled street car

14. invader crack

invader crack What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

wowerz if only i could track u down and steal ur brain and then sum how put it in my skull ....if only.... :naughty:

15. Bones

Bones What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: WoW :jawdrop: Awesome work!! Wanna see more! :D

16. godspeed

godspeed Banned

one question what year is the camero can i get a pic of the car a few yards back

17. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

:read:
    He said its a 89. Anybody that knows there Fbodys would be able to tell that from the pictures.

18. godspeed

godspeed Banned

i couldn't tell

19. OmegaX

OmegaX What's a Dremel?

sick mod

thats a sick mod. I intend to do that once i get a vehicle. One thing though, if it was a 1996 or later u could have hooked the comp up to the OBD II (on board diagnostics) and eliminated that wiring. otherwise good job

20. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

WHOLLY F

man if i had a car i would do stuff like that to it ( i mean putting a pC in it but as for integrating it in to the car itself (i.e. engine) man that is nuts. MOD ON!! :rock: