1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project-Nothing New & Original (Toxic Turbine Twist)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by activecactus, 7 Jun 2004.

1. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looks good so far :)

2. !!CheWiE!!

!!CheWiE!! What's a Dremel?

Cheers, my first post, but definatly not my first visit! I think the mods on this board are amazing, and if only I had large amounts of money, I would be doing a lot of modding myself :naughty:

3. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

i don't see any updates doyou guys?

(j/k) P.S. we still would like to see them though

4. activecactus

activecactus What's a Dremel?

Project-Nothing New & Oringinal

Sorry for slacking with my updates, I will post more pictures at the begining of next week.

After testing out a lava lamp from one of my kids and finding out that it will not work, I decided to look for one. I found one that is yellow and blue that measures 10.5 inches tall which will fit in the case. I'm thinking that when it is turned on the wax in the lamp will match the liquid used in the cooling system.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunatly the lamp is sold out and won't be available for a couple weeks, but that shouldn't matter much as the motherboard that I'm getting is going to take that long to get as well.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2004
  5. activecactus

Project-Nothing New & Original

Man, do I need to get a digital camera! This developing pictures stuff is such a headache. Maybee after this project is completed I'll get one... that is if I have any money left.

I just bought the dvd burner and shelled out $150 for it. I was originally going to spend that money to order the motherboard, but being the compulsive shopper that I am, I couldn't wait. Now the motherboard will have to wait.

I'm expecting the lava lamp any day now. As far as the other parts go, well the'll have to wait too. Anyway here are some more pictures.

Here you can see that the fan duct hole just fit. I also had to dremel away one of the hard drive holders so that the duct would slide through.
    [​IMG]
    To the right of the 3.5" drive bay you can see the jb weld used to secure the piece of metal that was cut from the other side. I did the same thing to the cover using marine epoxy.
    [​IMG]
    This shot shows an equalizer from an old car radio taped to the 3.5" bay
    [​IMG]
    I am curious to know if this could be used to control the speed of the fans that I'll be using. I hooked up one of the fans to it and all it did was turn it on or off, so I guess that it doesn't have a potentiometer built in. If anyone knows how to make it work or even if it is possible plese let me know.

6. guy

guy What's a Dremel?

startin to come along, lamp is a good idea, nice work so far

7. activecactus

On this update I test fitted the lava lamp and cut out the window.

Here's a shot of the lamp positioned in the case.
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't really impressed when I got the lamp. The liquid in the lamp was cloudy making it hard to see the melted wax, especially at the top.

After cutting out the window and taking pictures of it, I went to position the lamp behind it. I had previously yelled at my oldest son not to grab the lamp by only it's base. Then what did I do?... Yep, I grabbed it by it's base and it fell and broke. :waah: :wallbash: I guess you can cosider that to be my first disaster mod. Anyway I went out and bought a new one which has clear blue liquid and gives it a better look. I'll post pictures of it in the next update.

Only after getting the lamp and test fitting it did the design for the window come to me. I really had no idea of what to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple of pics with the window on the case.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

In the next update I should have the acrylic mounted to the back of the window and the case painted. As for the motherboard, I am still debating on that one. I need to do some research because I read in another project that gigabyte boards do not have holes for mounting waterblocks.

This is the dvd burner that I bought.
    [​IMG]

8. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

awe that sux, well diaster mods are always fun in some sort of werid twisted way, but i like your window that looks so nice i must say

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You could always open the top of the lamp and replace the liquid. Assuming it uses the beer cap type of thing (my family owns a couple, they both do). I dunno whether it's water or something else though so be careful :) Very interesting to say the least.

10. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

i think it un useable

11. LabRat1

LabRat1 What's a Dremel?

SuperGlue!

how did you make that airplane fan? is that just a bottlecap glued to a plain old fan?

12. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

:read: post 10 to be exact

13. activecactus

Insted of attaching the acrylic to the window and painting the case, I decided to cut the window some more.

Here's a picture of the window with the new lava lamp.
    [​IMG]

This was the way I had originally thought of positioning the window. Once I cut out the other pieces I thought it might look better upside down.
    [​IMG]

What do you guy's think?
    I'm also thinking to change the project name to something a bit cooler...like"Project-Toxic Turbine Twist"

It seems like everyone has a theme to their case and after looking at the lava lamp the word toxic came to mind.

14. danmagicman7

danmagicman7 What's a Dremel?

I like the 2nd way better. Don't you want to hide the base or something? It would look alot better if you could only see the lava portion and have it fit perfectly into the case.

15. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

you do realize how much heal a LavaLamp generates right?

16. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

You could encase the Lamp inside of the case with some sheetmetal. That would help prevent heat getting to the internals.

EDIT: As for the old school Fan Bus, you should go pick up an existing Fan Bus (like go pick up a cheap one) and take the rheobus' off of it. Then just rig up an arm to the rheobus' control. Then drill a hole in the end of it, as well as the arms of the old school equalizer (on the backside of the panel of course). Then put a metal rod (strong enough to not bend on twisting the rheobus when pushing the Equalizer's button) and there you have it. I should draw a picture of it, it's not easy to explain.

17. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

oooooh glowy. i like the window in the second or "upside down" position. i think that you need to either tint or put mesh in the outer 2 windows, to focus the efect on the lamp. but yea you will need something to help cool the lamp. i like the fan look very awsome looking.

18. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

It's on it's side. The left side is bottom. Rotate 90 deg. counterclockwise.

[​IMG]

19. activecactus

The lamp does get hot ,but not hot enough to burn me.I can still pick it up buy the glass or the base even after it's been on all day.

20. activecactus

I think I will keep it the second way.