1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling liquid cooling n00b :-\

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imdaking, 7 Aug 2004.

1. imdaking

imdaking What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys I'm a n00b to bit-tech forums and liquid cooling but I was still wondering if you could help me out !!

I'm about to upgrade the chip on my mobo and Instead of using the old heatsing/fan combo, I wanted to try out liquid cooling !! So as I'm looking into how its done and reading reviews and such it dawned on me that I may not have a spot to mount the water block for my CPU !!! :wallbash:

I have a GA-7NNXP ... link below:
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-7NNXP.htm

I was hoping some of you gurus could give me some insight on if I would be able to mount the waterblock because I don't see anywhere to do it on my current mobo. I hope you guys can help me out!! Cheers! :D

2. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

3. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

that can only be bought with the block, if hes not serious about clocking he can opt for a cheper block with the click (switech i belive)

4. imdaking

Hey guys, thanks for the info :: I don't know what I'm going to go with yet, but Now I do know what to look for though when buying... And speaking of buying, what woudl be better do you think....

Going from scratch, buying all the peices individually or buying a kit ?

5. FILTHY1337

if you wanna get something you cant mess up, go to danger den and build your kit there, heres the link http://dangerden.com/mall/Kits/kits_techtv.asp

i did the work you pay, buy this stuff (in order of list in link) and you cant go wrong

amd ddrbx
    copper base
    lucite rbx
    maze 4 chipset
    maze 4 gpu? read the suported cards dunno if you need one
    1/2in od fittings
    blackice xtreme blue or extreme II your choice
    evercool 120mm fan
    pump-none, just add an ehiem 1250 to your cart seperate with the 5/8 to 1/2 adapter
    10feet tygon
    your choice of res
    artic silver 5
    get the zerex
    dye is your choice
    get the socket tab for amd mobos without holes
    get the misc. fittings

hope it helped-mike
    with any other questions pm or email me :thumb:

6. at_mosby

at_mosby What's a Dremel?

Kit or not?

Depends on what you want it for.

That said, I'll explain why I got into water cooling (and I'm only on my second water cooled computer, so I'm still just a rook)

I wanted to have fun, learn something and make a pretty looking computer.

Along the way, I've made a number of mistakes, but I've learned a bunch. Of course, I also dove into case modding at the same time. You can see my adventures in water cooling and case modding under "Scary Little Deamon Girl" in the project log thread.

Getting a kit is the fast way to get up and running quickly. But, since it *is* a kit, you don't learn quite as much, as finding all of the parts and figuring out how to work them together.

At least, that's my take on it. Your mllage may vary.

7. imdaking

hey thanks a bunch for your help dudes!!! hopefully i'll be able to get my system liquid cooled by october, when i have the extra funds for it !

Now a few more questions... if you don't mind! :D

Is it better to have a res ?? Ease of refill is a plus in my book, but is that the only benefit? or does it help in cooling ?

And whats the difference between the the TDX and the RBX? From my understanding, on the RBX, the flow goes into the center, then out from the sides ... then do you need to connect it with a Y or T back to one tube?

And I do think i'll build my own! ;) Home baked goodies are always better than store bought! Cheers!

8. FILTHY1337

in some cases a res does help with cooling as there is more water to heat up.
    the txd is easier to install and you dont need a y fitting
    with the rbx you you can run one side to the nb(northbridge) and one side to the gpu and then runt the two hoses to your res it will save you the conjestion that ocures in the y fitting or you could just use a y fitting as it wont hurt your performance to much.

go with the txd if your only cooling two things i.g. the cpu and the gpu but if your cooling the cpu and the nb and the gpu use the rbx

Tags: