1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help: VFD advice please

Discussion in 'Modding' started by R@Mo, 9 Aug 2004.

1. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

I was looking to buy a VFD to install in my case and bit-tech's review caught my eye, so now I'm considering this Noritake VFD.

It will cost me 190 CAD (130 USD) if I buy it directly from Noritake. Now here's my question: Does anybody know of any reason for me NOT to buy this VFD? Perhaps some of you have had trouble configuring it, or perhaps somebody knows someplace I could get it for cheaper? Maybe Noritake offers a better model that improves upon this one but isn't a lot more expensive?

One of the main reasons I'm interested in this particular VFD is because it will fit into a single drive bay (the Antec Sonata only has three 5.25" bays to begin with, so leaving bays open for optical drives is kinda important).

Last edited: 9 Aug 2004
  2. coorz

coorz Miffed

I have that same VFD, only remark is that LCDC is the only app that can drive it, and LCDC is NOT free, but it is very powerful.
    Problem could be that there's is no official support for that VFD from LCDC, so you're on your own or say Cheese.
    Too bad you have space restrictions, otherwise you could have a go at mine's for a fraction of that price :naughty:

edit: if you could spare 2 bays, i'd go for the 128x64 800A, that one is supported by nearly all major LCD apps.

3. JohnH

JohnH What's a Dremel?

4. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately I can't spare more than one drive bay. Another idea I had was to mount the VFD outside the case in a custom made frame, in which case money is the limiting factor, not size. That way it would also be more accessible instead of being behind a silly plastic door.

Thanks for pointing that out. :lol: I'll download it now just in case.