1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Wooden Packet update 13-10-04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Pygo, 31 Jul 2004.

1. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I have some.. I mentioned it too.. I just never snapped pics of it.. lol
    but yeah, I scrapped that off after taking out the cpu thinking I killed it. And as it turned out, the video card was trying to die on me. So I threw it in with a pile of junk and tried my agp card just to see if it was it or not. agp card worked fine. and after listening to the same three songs for a while on my palm threw the logitech z680s, I decided I'd give that ol' pos a try again.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah... could you send me those z680's? There one thing on my some-$1500 worth of upgrades *sigh* And unfortunately, pretty far down on the list :waah:

Gotta love those stock heatsinks... I was using one as a mic stand for a while :hehe:

Anyways, I like the idea, hope it comes out well for you.

3. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I hope it does too ;)
    Also, doing a 1500 dollar upgrade is easy. All you need is a part or fulltime job, live with your parents without paying rent or anything. And then don't save your money. except for computer stuff. A frined came into my room several months ago and sat down at my computer. looked around, and was like "Wholy crap! you have sooo many expensive things. Their all even within arms length. Like wholy ****!!! I hate you!" and I yet still have to buy the rest of my laptop too, lol. hmmm.. I would like a new video card, as well as a force feedback steering wheel, the logitech mx duo keyboard (have the mouse already), a force feedback rudder and joystick. and another 19" monitor. But seeing as how I don't play games that much, and doom 3 will probably run alright on my computer, I won't bother with that stuff. I do want watercooling though. If I can do that for about 500 bucks, I just might.

but anyways. I still have sanding to do, motherboard mounting, spiral dremeling, hdd cage creation, maybe wood staining(would it look good you think?), and then assemble it all and varathane it. and then I can install slackware 10.0. I do have to plan out the hdd cages exactly though too. and seeing as how I don't have much sandpaper, and its kind of damp out an dmay rain some more. I will work on the design some more. I don't get too many cool days in my room anymore now that its summer.

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

pygo your rich!

Wow dude nice hardware:).

5. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

what is its about cats and keyboards, I mean I can understand them going after a mouse...........

/me drags brain back on topic

nice fan grills, shiny toys are always nice :D

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Thats what I do but my parents are obsessive about me having a lot of money in savings... so the best I can do is make them feel really guilty about not letting me get anything because modding and setting up a watercooling loop are the two things I wanted to do this summer and didn't get to do either
    :grr: :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:

...anyways, I wanna see some more pics! Like something with the frame coming together :)

7. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I got win xp installed (since my main machine is having some problems) the other day, and all is well. Also, I will be able to take the ddr400 stick home today now that I will be going to my home tonight :D (ok.. not actually :D, more like :waah: as I not going to sleep at a girls house :waah: lol)

also, got a new 120 gig hdd and a cold cathode, and led fans.

I am having second thoughts about my PSU.
    Currently it is a sparkle power (I think) 300w.
    I was using it to power my p4 2.4C at 3.33GHz with 1 gig dual channel, 3 120 gig hdds, dvd-rw, dvd-rom, geforce fx 5600 128 meg, three nic cards + modem, vid capture card, two bus powered uisb devices (cam, usb hub, mx 700 wifi (without power adapter for charging)), floppy, 10 led fans, and an asus p4p800 deluxe. and had no problems whatsoever.

Would it be worth spending 100 bucks on a new psu, say between 450 and 500 watts? Considering in the future I will have up to 8 ide hdds in this thing.

8. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

hehe, I was typing the above post while you posted that..

yeah, i can post some pics tonight of how everything fits together (sort of.) I still need to do quite a bit of sanding on the angled edges so the boards fit in better.

EDIT: oh, and yeah.. I just kind of hid things in my backback after buying them. Stuff i get always gets shipped to my work, so it makes it easy) and the z680s came while they were out of town, and I just kind of set them up without telling them. They knew I got new speakers before, for about 130. i dougt they had a good look at them since they haven't mentioned anything. :worried:

9. TheQuickerFkerUppr

TheQuickerFkerUppr What's a Dremel?

Ok man dude guy. Please inform the ignorant how you made your start button double hieght, I am so damn confused.

10. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

11. TheQuickerFkerUppr

TheQuickerFkerUppr What's a Dremel?

12. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

Pygo idea is very sweet, *OFF Topic* i just got my order of new Mobo and CPU from NCIX and my bro got a X800 and my freind got some............ya thats right 680's such sweet speakers, and just wondering where do you live in Canada?

13. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Salmon Arm, BC.

you?

14. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

read my "location" attachment thignie, Red Deer Alberta, and i have been to Salmon arm before, so nice there

Last edited: 16 Aug 2004
  15. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

right :duh:
    hehe...

and updates will be coming. not sure if it'll be before friday or not though. :waah: second phoneline for internet is getting cut, so I won't have net at home, 'cept at night when I am asleep :wallbash:

but yeah... I heard of that place. can't say I have been there though. I may have been. not sure. have done a lot of traveling with family.

16. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

ya Red Deer is right in between Calgary and Edmonton, not a compeltey tourist depending city but tourism helps alot

17. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

A very small update.
    It has been raining outside, so I haven't really gotten too much more done on this project. Other than doing some memory testing. I have gotten well over 500 errors on almost all test running memtest 86 v1.11. so, I shall be RMAing that within in the next few days I hope.
    I shall upload the pics I have taken so far, and post the almost finished front panel.

18. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

This looks pretty nice mate- but isn't that level of hardware quite a lot of overkill just for a router/fileserver? Or have you decided to use it for something else?

Cheers

Sam

19. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yeah.. a bit overkill.. I was kind of planning on the long term use ;)
    I have decided not to use it as a router actually. Just a file server. I wanted it to be very nice and fast. the way it should be :)

oh rats.. I forgot the pics. hmmm.. won;t have time to update them till end of next week :waah:

20. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

here is the LONG awaited update :clap:

Sadly, I deleted the pics since before I started assembling the case, and finsihing it. So I took some pics of the case after assembly. Its not finished yet though.

Here is the outside of the bottom back left corner.
    [​IMG]

and the inside of the bottom back left corcer
    [​IMG]
    and the inside of the bottom front right corner
    [​IMG]

Next is switches and other stuff.

Here are some LEDs I will use for network activity on the onboard 10/100 (assuming there are drivers for linux. if ot I'll use anotehr pci nic.), and the 10/100/1000 nic from Micronet. Also shown are a pack of 105 various resistors.
    [​IMG]

next are some 1cm standoffs for the motherboard. I got 3 packs of 4. Hopefully 12 of them is enough, as the store has none left. (I can always get some more next week though.)
    [​IMG]

and now some switches, and a button. The black button will be for the power button. I may or may not bput a ring of blue leds around it for when on, and yellow (or red, or green) for off (or vice versa). One of the switches is justa toggle switch that will prevent the main hdd fan ,and system fans frombeing shut off, and the others allow off position snice I will not have hdds in those spots right away. Also, I'll probably have a little logic circuit with output for red (off 0v), yellow (low 7v), and green (high 12v). For the main switch, there will be red and green.
    [​IMG]

There shall be more next week I think. As I won't have a job in Calgary, and will be looking for one (I can't really job hunt ALL day everyday of the week since I want te get a job in a certain area)

Last edited: 16 Jun 2006