Applepie's case - noname - updated jan 10 (= - (.jpg, 640x480 pics, MANY)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Applepie, 9 Aug 2004.

1. Arne

Arne What's a Dremel?

moving along nicely :thumb:

Last edited: 11 Aug 2004
  2. Applepie

Applepie What's a Dremel?

I will cut out the TT logon on the side to make the window larger and I am thinking about modding the logo in the front as well, I will try and put my own text there, just gotta figure out a good way to do it. :dremel:

Good idea to get really nice fan grills although I think Im just going to use some kind of metal mesh, perhaps the kind you put in front of speakers, anyway I want it to be something that I can do myself.
    I might have something lasercut for a future project, who knows. =)

3. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

i really am going to follow this
    i have an casetek cs 1019 wich is almost the same
    so i may come up with some idea's here
    keep up the :dremel: work

4. Applepie

Update time again.

Ok, so I decided that I liked the position shown in the last pic for the pump. At first I had plans for a pretty advanced custom made tank in which I was going to submerge the pump but I am being limited by physical space inside the case, time and money. The tank I was planning would have looked sort of like this:

[​IMG]
    And a video

The tank would then have been mounted where I am mounting the pump alone now.

So, I masked the spot up, drilled and mounted the pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, but I still want a tank, so I bought a DangerDen 5,25" drive bay tank. Now, when I was going to install it in the front with the slider thingies that the case uses for easy drive installation and swapping I ran into a problem.

[​IMG]

The observant eye notices that on the slider there are two pairs of plugs to fit into the screw holes on a drive but the tank only has one hole on each side.
    So, what to do...?
    Mod the sliders obviously! Thus, I just took out a knife and simply cut of one of the little pins on each side, making sure, ofcourse, to leave the ones that would allow me to mount the tank properly.

[​IMG]

And here the tank is mounted with the discarded pins on top of the case.

[​IMG]

I had to put it in the #3 bay from the top as the others are blocked for full lenth drive bay units by the rad. I also had to slightly mod the bay cover above it by filing/sanding the bottom edge a bit. Just need to tidy it up a little bit more and the mod wont show.

[​IMG]

I also had some trouble finding the right screws to mount the rad on the fans, so when I finally found some that had an optimal diameter I just cut them off a bit with a trusted olf friend and I was good to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here it is mounted. Im still thinking about some ideas of what to do with the old mounting holes that I still have on the top...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back in with the mobo and gfx card and cut the hoses...

[​IMG]

Clean it up and fill it up.

[​IMG]

Using distilled water and concentrateed glycol mixed to about 15-20% by volume.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It doesnt look half bad.

[​IMG]

Im getting really good flow, sometimes theres a small vortex that forms in the tank and sucks the little air that is still in there into the pump. This makes noise so I guess I'll just have to get even more air out of the system. It will get easier later on when I got the rad completely on air.

The pictures really dosnt represent the colour very accurately, it looks much better IRL.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I noticed that the pump was making the motherboard mounting plate vibrate so I put in some padding to reduce that. I will also put in some soundproofing mat on the back of the plate when Im done and thus the pump should be as quiet as possible. The only really audible noise from it is from vibrations transfered to the chassis.

[​IMG]

Time for a testrun....

[​IMG]

Thats all for today but stay tuned for some more "real" mod stuff, I mean, so far, its mostly just been putting in watercooling. (=

Last edited: 11 Aug 2004
  5. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

looks good even now
    but have you thought about those rubber feet for your pump?
    you can buy those and then you pump vibrates your motherboardplate much less

6. Valo

Valo Minimodder

I like the hdd in reservoir XD

7. Applepie

Well, I put some rubber behind the mounting plate on the pump like this:

[​IMG]

This reduced the noise quite a bit and then Im going to add some soundproofing material on the back of the mobotray as well and that should be more than enough.

Whoa, initially I was only gonna submerge the pump but it proved impractical. Submerging the HDD is not a bad idea for some other mod though.... very risky. (= :hip: :naughty:

8. Arne

Arne What's a Dremel?

Will it not be difficult to mod with the watercooling inside the case :idea:

9. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

You might want ot turn the case up on its end for a few hours. All the air will be trapped in the radiator. By turning it so the front is facing upwards, the air will make its way to the the reservoir (the highest point), and you will be able to bleed the system.

Also, I recommend drilling the holes out a bit, and using rubber gaskets to mount the pump. The noise you hear is the screws vibrating against the motherboard tray.

10. Applepie

Two good points there, I am going to bleed in this way soon, perhaps with some slight modifications. (=
    About the pump-noise, after putting in the rubber padding stuff I feel like the noise level will be acceptable, especially when I put the sides back on. The pump is a 1048 so its not that noisy to begin with but the vibration was cause for concern.... I might mod the mounting in a way similar to what you've suggested later on... Perhaps for my X-mas modding. ;)

11. Applepie

Yes, it has proven to be a big of a bother, but not unmanagable. Gotta bag the blocks so they don't get scratched and then your good to go. One of the largest problems is the fact that the case got quite heavy when the cooling system was filled up with coolant. One of the good things is that it is easier to see how all the parts fit together in terms of design.

12. Applepie

Just a small update today ppl, Im a bit too tired for even this small contribution....

Anyway, when I got to this point I tested the system for a while and then acctually put everything back inside and used the comp for a while. Then I decided I wanted to mod some more and took it apart... again. :hip:

So, I went down to the store and bought some stuff and I got more on the way.

[​IMG]

First order of business: Sleeving the Fancontroller and replacing the molex connectors with jacks for 3.5mm plugs and 2 XLR plugs.
    First... slide it out and remove the mounting hardware (can be used to mount an HDD behind the controller.)

[​IMG]

Thats all for today, I'll post more 2morrow.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2004
  13. -N4cR-Stigma2K

-N4cR-Stigma2K Banned

Wasn't it hard to use this tool to cut those holes?

And another thing (since I think that you know the answer) When one first fill up a watercooling system, where does one fill the water?

(sorry for double posting, but I don't know how I can remove the post)

14. -N4cR-Stigma2K

-N4cR-Stigma2K Banned

Wasn't it hard to use this tool to cut those holes?
    [​IMG]

And another thing (since I think that you know the answer) When one first fill up a watercooling system, where does one fill the water?

15. xyz_sport

xyz_sport What's a Dremel?

why dont u use bondo to cover up those holes?

16. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far!

The part I´m looking forward to the most is to watch you sleave all those cables.. moahaha :D

Err.. anyways, good luck on the case!

17. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

You've got a great looking case there. :eeek:
    I've been trying to figure out how I was going to mount my heater core but you've given me some nice ideas for it.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2005
  18. Applepie

Nope, it was very easy to use it. I just used a piece of wood on the back for support, predrilled the center with perhaps a 4mm drill and then I just drilled the big holes. Much faster than with a dremel and easier to. I don't think, however, that it would work on a steel case, but since mine is made from Aluminum its no problem at all.

[​IMG]

About filling the system.... I just filled it up in the res and had the water run down to the pump pretty much on its own and then I turned on the pump and had it pump coolant into the system while I kept filling up the res as much as needed. One of the perks of having the res above and directly before the pump. Just make sure the pump doesnt run without water for more than a couple of seconds. Also, other pumps may be more difficult. (=
    The res slides out on the 5 1/4" tool-free mounting rails and is then very easy to fill.

[​IMG]

19. Applepie

Yeah, theres quite a few cables. =P
    And thanks.

Thanks.
    If your gonna mount it like I did just concider that because of the closeness to the PSU in the back due to the large size of my rad Im going to have to make due with 2 5.25" bays less, although Im going to fabricate mounting hardware that will allow me to still have the fan controller in the top bay. And besides, I don't use the 5.25" bays that much and I have plenty of 3.5 bays for HDDs (8).

Expect more pics soon. :thumb:

20. Manciarz

Manciarz What's a Dremel?

Nice tools you use :D :dremel: This mod is good :thumb: