Modding I need to work on my case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Grimlord, 17 Aug 2004.

1. Grimlord

Grimlord What's a Dremel?

So, the thing is, i need to hide my cables,, IDE cables to be correct. The only problem is that my case is a MIDI and there is no more space to hide. I've allready rounded them, but i found out, that it looks much better if there aren't any "visual" IDE Cables.

Got any ideas ?

Tnx

2. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

How about a pic so we can see what you have to work with. :thumb:

3. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

a pic would be much nicer, so we can all see whats what.

you can extend your cables, i allready had some way long ones, and just folded them under the mobo, and along the side of the drive tray to keep them out of the way. its more for ease of manouvre inside the case as this one doesnt have a window.

4. Grimlord

Ok, i thought u might need a pic :D

Last edited: 3 Aug 2005
  5. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

umm, you could try shortening the cables and/or using something a bit more flexible around them to round them. heatshrink perhaps.

6. Grimlord

Iwas thinking of shrink tubes too, but then the cablres would be hard, and they wouldn't be so flexible as they are now.

Anyways, i've tried to squeze them into the space above mny floppy (yes i still have one) but it doesn't look good and it doesn't work out.

I can not imagine how some modders get those cables behind the mobo, i didn't even try beavause my case is kinda small.. u can se from the pic.

I'm open for ideas... :hehe:

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I take it this is for aesthetics and not for cooling problems?

I'd personally shorten the cables and probably use a color that didn't stick out so much like a sore thumb...maybe a red (like your mobo) or black would help them blend in a bit. Or, a lot of modders have chosen to make their cables a focal point since you can't make them disappear...that old adage of "hidden in plain sight." Choose something to replace them with that's cool enough for people to say "dude, nice cables!"

Or, switch to sata! If your mobo supports, abit makes something called the serillel 2 which turns an ide into a sata drive. They cost about $20 US...would minimize a lot of your cables!

8. Grimlord

Yes, i was considering something like round UV IDE cables... but still not now. I want to do something my self.

So tell me, how am i suppose to shorten the cables? Beacause that would really help.

Abaout that SATA, yes my mobo does support it, and abaout that serillel, i have tried it but it simply won't work, i don't have a clue why.

Hidding the IDE cables is for the looks, beacause i have a big plexi window, and u can se everything through it (d00h, its plexi), i have already managed to get my PSU cables into some snake wire, i was thinking abaout putting some of that snake wire on ide cables to, but i can't get it over the conectors.

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

*IF* you want some custom cable, it is totally possible to remove the connector from the end and simply place the wires back into it individually (they pull out with a little force). But, after about 28 of those 32-ish wires, you'll be ready to pull your hair out instead of wires.

I'd recommend finding a ribbon cable, as they're easiest to work with and cheap if you accidentally mess up. Split the wires up (and for the love of all holy, mark them...sounds stupid, but I've sat and screamed at an IDE cable for 30 minutes before I realized I had pins 1 and 24 mixed up somehow), pull off the connector on the one end, sleeve your cable, and reconnect.

The added benefit to doing this laborous process is that you can simply cut the cable while you're at it. Also, you could use vinyl-dye on the cable ends or connectors where they go outside of your sleeving to help make them either look pretty or virtually disappear.

By the way, I've found that for serillel to work, it has to be the new serillel 2. The serillel 0 does not work on most drives or with any motherboard but the Abit 845 chipsets (don't ask me why).

Hope this helps (and my rambling isn't too annoying!)

10. Grimlord

Wow, that's a good idea. I never thought of it. Now i have to go and ghet some snake wire :D

One more thing, in the front bay, where the cd-rom's are, i have a lot of cables, from the vents, cathodes, etc. i was thinking of a box where i colud put al the cables in, and the box would be big like a cd-rom or something, i just haven't figured it out yet......

Anyways, my comp is totaly in pieces, my mobo is lying on the desk :hehe: an it actualy works :D Beacause my case is now empty, i was wondering if u have a suggestion on have to hide my PSU cables, the problem is that the case is small and there is not much room to hide the cables...

11. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

You can always try routing the cables round the back of the motherboard tray...

12. Grimlord

There is a problem, the cdrom's and the disk.. they are so close to the mobo, u can see from the pic...

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Personally, I'd just sleeve them. If you want them to disappear, sleeve with a red or something. There's lots of tuts on here as to how to do that (and don't skimp on the molex remover, as most of us have learned the hard way). Personally, I'd sleeve your PSU cables UV red and drop a UV cold cathode in there. That'd light it up!

There's just not a lot of space in there to make all your cables hide. A box would work well, but perhaps you should take a look at like the Orac(3) project for some fun ideas on actually USING your cable while dumping it into a junction box. I mean, if you hide it ALL, you'll have a fairly boring interior!

14. Grimlord

Hm.. red colour is not an option! Beacause i already have a blue cathode in, and my zalman fan controler has blue led's. I also have UV cathodes but, they're in my room not in the comp :D

I was thinking, that i could put a "hose" on my ide cables, the same as i have on now, just a different color.

I am planing to making a wooden cable box, it would be big like a cd-rom, just a little shorter, and all the cables that go from the motherboard to the front panel, would go through that box. And i will paint that box in black.