1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom grills

Discussion in 'Modding' started by socketman, 9 Apr 2002.

1. socketman

socketman What's a Dremel?

Alright AMD fans here is your chance at immortality. I have found an online retailer who is willing to laser cut custom grills. The specs for the grill are as follows:

1. 80 or 120mm size.
    2. They can NOT block more than 40% of the airflow (for obvious reasons)
    3. They can not be overly complex. They wouldnt be cost effective to make if they are too complex.

4. There are two possible grills:

Hammer - make a grill with a hammer of some kind. This is for AMDs upcoming Hammer CPU

Horse - this one is for the upcoming thoroughbred CPU.

** dont bother to ask about anything other than a hammer or horse. Ex: "i have this really cool design for a hawk" NO! **

5. Submit the designs in .DXF format AND in .jpg ( or .gif or whatever other pic format you like)

6. The winner will be selected by the retailer. The winner will receive two free grills for their trouble.

DXF is the common file extension for CAD programs. If you dont have one, im told there are programs that can convert it. Email the designs to yaamyb@hotmail.com

any other questions feel free to ask.

2. linear

linear Minimodder

What's your association with the retailer, socketman? Not to be overly supicious, but whose email address did you give, and what is the name of the retailer?

It seems odd to me that this retailer has a hotmail address and wouldn't disclose their identity in a contest. I see you registered on [H] and made the same post.

Provide supporting detail please, within the next few hours, or, I plan to delete this thread.

3. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

good idea---but i am with you linear--no point doing something if we have'nt got a clue who for-or why?-

4. socketman

ok

the email address is mine.

This is my first post here, true. I already posted this same info on Gideontech, Virtual hideout, Anandtech and Tomshardware.

The retailer is pccasegear.com - they are an australian outfit. I could provide the emails they sent me if you wish

My assoc with them is this: I want some custom grills for my custom case, I cant find anyone who will laser cut them. So i had to talk a retailer into mass production to make them cost effective. The retailer would only take .dxf format. I dont know any cad programming. So then I had to resort to opening up a "contest" of sorts for people who do know CAD. For two monts I have emailed 20+ retailers, 5 laser cutting outfits, 6 web forums and dozens of individual designers. All in an effort to get a measly grill made. I am the "go between" for pcasegear. THey are too busy to handle this themselves. Besides, it was my idea.. so i have to it through.
    Casegear has already selected a Hammer design they like. But i told them NOT to cut it until I submit more designs to them. Thats why I posted here. I hope to offer more designs for them to choose from.
    any more questions, feel free to ask

Last edited: 9 Apr 2002
  5. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

are you uk based ?--US / australia--as i need to find a freindly uk laser cutting place.....

6. socketman

I dont know where or who pccasegear uses for laser cutting. I personally am in the U.S.

7. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

doh!--did you approach any uk companies at all?--I could do with a starting block for my next project-

8. socketman

The laser cutters I approached were in the US. The retailers I approached were all over. US, Australia, UK, Germany.. etc etc.

9. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

you would'nt by perchance have a lsit of those uk retailers ---?-

were they just hardware etailers such as tekheads, ocuk etc?--or manufacturing firms--?

10. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i dunno 'bout friendly cause i ain't dealt with them except in their tools shop but http://www.johnparker.co.uk/ is my local metal place all their lorrys say lasercutting on the side... dunno if they do one offs or whatever tho

they ain't got much of a webby tho :p

11. linear

linear Minimodder

Re: ok

Welcome to our boards, socketman. Sorry if I made you feel unwelcome there for a minute. Thanks for clarifying what you're about for us. :D

12. socketman

No problem linear... I posted that same message a great deal. SO i was tired of typing all the details thats all. I know your just doing your job.

So.. anyone out there know CAD and wanna design some grills?

13. hypertone

hypertone What's a Dremel?

I found this site that already has laser cut grills. it might not be what you want but hey theres some cool grills in there. Click Here

I also know alot of CAD designing. if you want just Email me and we could talk

Last edited: 10 Apr 2002
  14. KevinOwns

KevinOwns What's a Dremel?

Sigh.. If only I didn't suck at drawing this stuff. I have an idea, but I can't make it! :(