Electronics IR recievers and remotes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by cougem, 21 Aug 2004.

1. cougem

cougem What's a Dremel?

Hi, I've got my lovely new rig up and running, all water cooled with all silent fans. The only thing I can ehar at all is the tiny whir of my MCP600 water pump.

[​IMG]

Now what I want to do is set up an infra-red reciever on the computer somehow, and get a remote, so I can use the remove to do actions such as start a media player and play music, or maybe shut down and so on.

I wonder if that's doable maybe by linking a reciever up to a serial port, like you could with an LCD display, and having a program 'listen' on the port for actions.

Any ideas how I could do this? Or any other ideas?

2. Zwox

Zwox What's a Dremel?

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Unfair... you have a v2000 before me :waah:

That guide will probably help but I'll tell you finding parts is next to impossible.... you may wanna just get an ATI remote wonder :) /me loves both of mine

4. cougem

cougem What's a Dremel?

I love the case, it's gorgeous :)

But for anyone who cares, I'm going to order one of these:

http://www.home-electro.com/buy_it.php

Probably the Ira-3 because I can turn the PC on with it. The Tira also has the advantage of USB and it's also a transmitter, but serial is fine with me and it's cheaper and, like I said, I want to be able to turn the PC on with it.

5. jake^the^cake

jake^the^cake What's a Dremel?

i built a IR reciver, really simple
    [​IMG]
    IR 1st ELIRM 8601
    IC 1st L78L05ACZ/ST
    D 1st 1N4148/Ph
    C 1st Kondensator, 100µF 16V Elektrolyt
    R 1st Resistor, 10K Ohm

Numbers are where to connect the d-sub, standard 9 pin connector for the com port.

dotted lines are cables.

I then use winlirc as software and a old remote i had home. Works perfectly :D

Last edited: 21 Aug 2004
  6. chalk_mark

chalk_mark What's a Dremel?

If anyone wanting to build the sensor can't find the IR module, take a stroll down the street on garbage day and snag a scrapped VCR. There will be a useable module in it. Since pretty much everyone will be using a domestic universal remote with the circuit, any 38KHz IR module will work. It should be easy enough to find the module inside, it will be right behind a little window on the front of the VCR. Sometimes they are inside a little metal box with a viewing hole.

hmmm..... modding by reverse modding a VCR :dremel:

7. djiandavies

djiandavies What's a Dremel?

8. djiandavies

djiandavies What's a Dremel?

hey
    If u wanna use a remote control, u wanna head off to ebay and grab yourself a ir receiver, serial for about £6 and usb one for about £14. i used the serial version and works fine. its got to be ir and not irda.

software wise, use "girder", excellent bit of software, takes a bit of time to program it completly, but top stuff. :clap:

http://www.girder.nl/downloadn.php