1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding front of case for air intake

Discussion in 'Modding' started by liquidocean, 23 Aug 2004.

1. liquidocean

liquidocean What's a Dremel?

If you have a lil look-see at this [​IMG]
    you can see the spot for a 120mm fan.. but no air intake at the front.
    It's basically a fan slot against a thick aluminum wall!
    This is the front of the case [​IMG]

So, any ideas? SHould I drill through this mother****er and make some air holes?

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Whoever designed that case wasn't thinking too well were they.
    You could try drilling small holes round the edges of the front bezel if you wanted to be stealthy, but I guess to have a chance of sucking in any ammount of air it'll have to be holes straight thru the front.
    Possibly you could cut that whole panel out and mount all the switches etc. on mesh instead.
    And if there's room between the front bezel and the case body, you should try and put a dust filter in, it'll save your components from needing a hoovefew months...

3. ede670

ede670 What's a Dremel?

yep what I was going to say is remove the panel that has the power switch and the temp monitor then reinstall them all on some black mesh that would look cool I think then a blue led fan sucking air into the case from behind :thumb:

4. liquidocean

nice idea

however, if you take a look at the whole thing it goes from the bottom up till the floppy drive whole, that whole thing is one piece.
    I'd have to replace all that.
    And plus I have my kickass stickers and custom case badges on it.
    I'm thinking drilling will have to do it.
    How about on the bottom sides a small rectangle hole w/ some mesh, drilled directly into the black edges?

5. ede670

ede670 What's a Dremel?

just cut the square out on the switch and remount dont see why you would have to do the whole panel just cut the square in the panel if the fan is directly behind which it does look like :confused:

cut the case and the alu behind it mesh outside and just have enough on innner panel to hold the fan

6. Fry

Fry What's a Dremel?

My case has the same thing but for two 80mm fans. if you look on the bottom of the case you should see a SMALL air intake hole. mines about 1*2.5 cm but im not using that yet. and when i do im going to make the hole bigger because i cant make the intake on the front due to my front panel having a little acrylic chamber with a blue LED. its hard to explain, just dont mess up the look of the case and if possible you can make a hole if there isnt one at the bottom or enlarge it

7. liquidocean

ah isee what you mean now.
    But whree do I put the reset power temp display and fan controll after that?
    I think that will make the case look ugly, and my stickers are on the square (cannot remove/replace them)
    I am going to open up the case and have a look at the air intake and post some pics in better detail

8. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

make a big ol' ducted blowhole (sucking, actually..) on the spare 5.25" mount thingies?

9. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

try a spare 3,5 or 5,25 inch bay ...
    everything exept the fan control will fit on a 3,5 inch bay (judging by the picture dont have that case)

and on a 5,25 inch bay everything will fit , you could use a spare cover from the CD bay

10. liquidocean

Last edited: 24 Aug 2004
  11. liquidocean

How is it supposed to fit in a spare optical bay?
    they'll just be dangling there. Thats not cool

12. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

This is what i did for my case:
    [​IMG]

I took out the peice where the power/reset switch was, as well as the floppy drive covers. I found a metal cold air intake grill and cut metal stips out of it and then glued them into the holes (staggered). The only problem i have is a dust gets stuck to the pieces and they are very difficult to clean. You would have to find a new home for your power/rest switches though, which shouldnt be too hard.

13. Go4t

Go4t i

almost identical to my first case mine had 4 80mm fans instead
    i just cut the whole front out up to the floopys

14. DeAtH07

DeAtH07 Banned

i only have 1 80mm dan in front. lol dude if you are going to mod it and have to cut holes, might as well make it a jet intake