1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU and MOBO Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wicked1, 28 Aug 2004.

1. wicked1

wicked1 What's a Dremel?

Sup Bit tech I got a wierd problem so I have my computer built and ready to go so when I turn it on it goes on but when I press the power button to turn it off it stays on yes I checked to make sure the button is good then without me pressing the button my mouse just turns on by itself please guys help thanks.

Parts:
    Amd A64 3200+
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    512 Giel Ram
    Radeon 9800 128mb Pro
    WD sata 120gb HD

2. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

your first problem - PC not shutting down when you press the power button to turn it off.

This is probably a setting in your power options. Let me assume you are using Windows XP. Go to your control panel>power options>advanced>power button. Then make sure it is set to power your system down when depressed.

I really don't know what you mean about your second problem. So please explain what you mean by "without me pressing the button my mouse just turns on by itself"

What button? are you saying when your computer is completely powered off your mouse will still be powered?

3. wicked1

wicked1 What's a Dremel?

I just built the computer I havent installed windows so I cant go to my control panel, sorry let me explain a bit more I meant my power supply button when I press that on the mouse turns on by itself, without me even pressing the power button of the case. Plus Im not getting nothing on my screen, I realized when the computer is running on I press the power button to try to turn it off that the cable network card turns off but the cpu and fans are still running. Thanks

4. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

If you are not getting any display you have more trouble then a power button, but reguardless - the first thing I have to ask - are you holding the power button for 4 seconds?

It is probably programmed to shut off after holding it for 4 seconds.

As for your mouse powering up with the switch on your PSU - don't worry about it.

If the fan is running this doesn't mean your CPU is running - if there is nothing on the screen, what makes you thing the CPU is even running at all?

After you power the system on can you cycle the caps/num/scroll lock buttons? What about after you try to turn it off?

When you try to turn it off the NIC turns off? When you press the MoBo power switch is that what you mean by trying to turn it off?

So why aren't you complaining about not getting something to display? This is a much more significant issue.

5. wicked1

wicked1 What's a Dremel?

I believe the cpu fan is running I see the HSF going on and I could hear the mobo beep once and the only way I can turn off the comp is by the power supply button in the back and yes I did hold it for 4 seconds the NIC card for some reason shuts off when I hold the power button of the case but everything else stays on unless I press the power supply button off.
    As for the keyboard and mouse only when I press the power supply button the keyboard lights up and thats it and the mouse stays on whether I turn the computer on. Sorry if its alot of typing its just numerous things going on here and I have no clue on what to do thanks.

6. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

When a PSU is on, it always supplies the 5v standby rail with power. That's why your mouse and keyboard stay on, as PS/2 and USB draw power from the 5v rail.

If the motherboard gives a single short beep, that almost always means that it's completed POST (power on self test) successfully, so the computer itself is working - if you're not getting any display after that it's more likely that there's a problem with your monitor, either it's plugged in incorrectly, or there's a fault somewhere along the line.

As for the rest of it, I really don't understand what you're talking about - could you try phrasing clearer English sentences, please?

7. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

The CPU fan running does not indicate your CPU is still running. One of two things is happening. When use your power button, either the system is going into standby, or your system has a timer to keep the fan going for some time after the system has powered down.

If you really care which case it is - you will have to find find your MoBo manual, or go to the MoBo manuals Website and look on page 2-1. there you will find a diagram showing you where to find an LED on your MoBo. If the LED is on the MoBo is powered on or in standby. So then you can tell if your power switch is is shutting the MoBo off or just putting it in standby. The odds are it is putting it in standby.

If you can get your video display to work, you can get into your BIOS settings (as demonstrated on page 4-30 of your MoBo manul), and see how the BIOS is set, to turn off or enter standby with the power switch. Thus you can change the configuration.

Whichever it is doing is not a big deal.

8. wicked1

wicked1 What's a Dremel?

I may have to try another video card, I do see the led and its lighted on but I dont know what else to do I might as well RMA back to newegg?

9. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Without a video card it is a bad idea to try to blame the MoBo for anything. It is probably just configured that way. If you had a working video card, you could change the configuration. Without a working video card a new MoBo will not help you.

You're just not at a point where you can say the MoBo even has a problem. Its a little like trying to return a car because you can't figure out how to turn on the dome light. With a new car, you still won't know how to turn on the dome light.

What kind of video card is it? What video indications do you have? What have you done to trouble shoot the video issue?

Last edited: 29 Aug 2004
  10. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

If the video card was bad you wouldn't get POST. I assume that this is your first or second foray into self-building a computer - do you know anyone with more experience that could come along and just look over what you've done so far? I fix computers every day and still when it comes to my own rig I can get a total brainmelt when something goes wrong, just because it matters more to me - someone else to give you a fresh viewpoint (and hopefully some spare bits to swap in and try and locate the fault) would be very helpful.

11. wicked1

wicked1 What's a Dremel?

Its a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb, I already tryed clearing cmos, reseating the video card thats about it. I may just have to take the mobo out and work myself from there?

12. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

What does that mean?

13. wicked1

wicked1 What's a Dremel?

run the mobo outside the case with just a video card and ram and see what happens from there but already tried it and nothing also I changed the video card and also nothing.

14. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

So you have tried the video card on another computer? You tried the video card from another computer on this one? If so - are you saying both video cards worked on another computer? What about your monitor what have you tried with it?

Does your MoBo beep when you are trying to boot? Can you cycle the num/caps lock on the keyboard (the LED should go on and off)? Do the keyboard lights flash when you turn the system on? What kinf of Keyboard is it (USB/PS2)?

15. wicked1

wicked1 What's a Dremel?

Yes I tried another monitor with this comp and still nothing and I tried the video card on all ways, for some reason the mobo does not beep know, and no I can not cycle the num/caps lock on the keyboard. Its PS2

16. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

if, after you turn your computer on and there is never a point where you can cycle your num/caps lock, then your computer is simply not POSTing (or your keyboard is broke or not connected properly). Here are the most likely problems:

-The CPU is not seated properly or it is broken (or not compatible with your MoBo).
    -Your memory is not seated properly or it is broken (or not compatible with your MoBo).
    -Your PSU is not connected properly or it is broken (or not compatible with your MoBo).
    -Your MoBo is fryed.

Make sure you go back and read EVERYTHING in every book that came with every component you bought (you are assembling this from scratch correct?) If the components are new, the odds are against any of them being broken unless you were careless installing them. Also the odds are you have installed one of these components incorrectly. I am not trying to be mean, just put things in perspective - so you should be determined to fix it rather than return something that is most likely working.

The first thing I would ask you, did you attach both power cables from the PSU? If you look in your manual on page 2-27, you will see there are 2 power connecters and they both need to be attached (a 20 pin and a 4 pin). Also make sure they are completely seated. If one is not fully pushed onto the MoBo, they might as well not be attached.

The next thing I would suggest is to disconnect your Hard drives / CDROM / and Floppy. If one of them is not connected properly or the cable is bad, it very well could prevent the rest of the MoBo from getting powered properly.

If that doesn't work, disconnect everything except your keyboard (and memory) and try to boot seeing if you can cycle the num lock or caps lock status LEDS. If that still doesn't work, reseat your memory.

If that still doesn't work, reseat your CPU and make sure its seated properly and your heat sink is making solid contact on top of the CPU.

If none of those things work, then it is time to return your MoBo.

But you should def try all of them because a new MoBo won't help you if thats not the problem.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2004