News Will Longhorn's Loss Be Your Gain?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 31 Aug 2004.

1. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

if your not happy about why use it, who's forcing you....

2. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

but were eventually forced into it, computers get newer and technology moves on. How many of you use windows 98 on ur current pc? we all seem to use 2k and xp mainly because technology has moved on and things have changed. Compatability problems are what force us to move onto new software, a prime example of this is windows xp

3. ajack

ajack rox

I think he meant you're not forced to use Windows

4. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

yeh but im some ways ur still forced because not everything has compatability for linux or another other o/s as such

5. crichards

crichards What's a Dremel?

I don't think it will help with e-mail searching, just file searching.

6. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

Quite honestly - Windows XP will be the LAST M$ OS I ever use due to the infringement upon my rights that M$ is trying to include on computers.

Searching for DRM bullpoop, Fritz-chips, palladium, etc.

I hate microsoft. More than I hate anything or anyone. Ever.

7. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

have you heard of the wine project? or winex (for linux). these are pieces of software that emulate a windows environment, wine being 2D and winex being 3D. these mean i can use photoshop, and play the latest games on my machine. granted there will be a little more to do than just install and play it, you will have a little configuration to do but it means you have a choice. The biggest step when moiving to linux is making the jump, afterwhich it's not exactly smooth sailling but you'll then realise why you did it in the first place ( and probably wouldn't want to go back).

8. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

I'm sticking with XP, unless 'something' (read Terror of Redmond clobbers all erm, backup XPs) happens, then I'll probably go to 2k or Linux, wine looks interesting.

9. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

So there is no gain then. Thnx just making sure.

10. Huskey

Huskey What's a Dremel?

Hmmm.... I see where you're coming from but IMO, 2k and XP are simply better OSes than Win98. Don't get me wrong, I still have an old laptop here with 98 on, it's just the latest OSes manage networks and profiles alot better. With the price of hardware tumbling down and the release of broadband, I feel it's fairly safe to say that more homes are becoming networked and therefore such OSes are more suitable for todays environment.

XP is still packed with clutter though - Once you've turned off all the unnecessary features however it's actually an incredibly fast OS :)

Tags: Add Tags