1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why!?, the very idea sickens me so deaply.

Discussion in 'General' started by TheAnimus, 3 Sep 2004.

1. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...m9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62751&_LOC=UK

for those not able to follow the link, an ebuyer value range UPS.

a UPS is designed to protect your system, against not just surges (quite easy to protect against) but also brown outs (where power levels fluctate up and down).

So do i have my head so far up my own arse i can't see the light of day, or is the notion of protecting my £2,500 machine, with one of these a joke?

(on a side note, i left my desktop at my perants whilst moving, who plugged it in during a lightning storm, and am facing that situation everyone dreads, its dead, the mobo gone, chips nurfed etc.)

2. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

Isnt this jus a backup device so if the power goes out, your pc carries on for a certain lenght of time? If so, its very handy!

[edit] im correct! "Back-up time: over 15mins if used for one PC with a 17' monitor, or one PCS with a 17' monitor "

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

That sucks, but why do you need to post this?

4. RTT

RTT #parp

5. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Er. Your point, please? :confused:

7. JB

JB What's a Dremel?

Whats wrong with that?

8. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Why is it a joke? A joke that it's not worth that price to protect your pc(which doesn't make sence if you're complaining that yours was just trashed.)

We use battery backups(UPS's) on all the servers and unix/linux workstations here where I work and we have great luck with them and a lot of the servers/workstations haven't rebooted in several months even though power surges/outages are a common occurance in this area.

9. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I think he means that the main point obviously of a UPS is to protect your PC, and that buying a cheapish Ebuyer brand would probably defeat that purpose because it's probably crap?

Anyway, I suppose it's better than nothing for those who can't afford something like an APC.

10. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

any protection is better than none, am i not correct?
    :idea: even a broken condom at very least helps.

11. Carbon

Carbon Banned

rtt.... the door's keep flappin

they need a big padlock :D !

12. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

did he post this because the "box with a battery" has an LCD monitor? two LED's would be fine, one "in use" and one "charging"

even one bi-color would do fine!

13. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

ah, i didn't explain my point, i know damn well what a UPS is thanks (hell i described it for them who don't)

But why go away from APC, or Belkin?
    For an economy brand, most of the ebuyer value stuff is **** such as the broadband router someone i know has, oh how i was frustrated as they pop-offline for no reason, put my zyxel there for a day, stopped happening. This isn't un-common.

The point is you trust this device, and while i would be tempted to trust a surge bar (They are very easy to make) a UPS has to be able to stop brown outs perfectly, thats the idea, you can continue using your pc long enough to save your work, park your heads etc.

As to my own incident, i use Belkin UPS Pro series, had nothing but great support, they still swap the battery out (3 years old now) nice.
    But as to how to connect it up, this was beyound my perants!

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No it doesn't... but it tried to help.

Unlike condoms though, most UPS manufacturers have some sorta connected equipment warrantee type thing. Like my surge surpressor has a $10,000 guarantee - if anything of mine gets fried while its plugged into it, they'll give me up to $10k to replace it.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Er, no. You didn't.

But anyway, don't knock it untill you've tried it, or at least read a review. Although price can sometimes give you a rough idea of quality (if it sounds too good to be true...), sometimes it does not. To wit the Daewoo range of cars: cheap, but surprisingly good and reliable.

I guess my point is: can you back up your claims with facts before you quite demonstratively stick your fingers down your throat?

16. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

If my cheapest UPS (only 625VA) lets me down, i get 60,000euroes to pay vogon or similar to recover the data for me.

As someone mentioned here, you don't get this. Also the way its with LCD.
    What info do you view on UPS? I have it hooked to my pc, i wanna know if its charging (trickle or full), been used, or error. The rest i don't really care about, i mean its like oh my main supply fluctuates by 4v rms, wow, my lifes changed because of that fact i assure you!

The thing is this is worth nothing, there is no garantee its going to stop a brown out (why you buy a UPS over a surge bar in the first place).

Also on a side note, a lot of the surge bars that have money, will only come to effect if the surge bar gets damaged. Brown outs (the most common cuas of hdd failure according to seagate) ain't covered.

I guess its because as when i do any form of security work i get so pissed off with complacency. People assume that half doing it is "better than nothing" but act asthou its safe. Well it does mean i get more work, but i don't enjoy pooring throu lines of someone elses code (half the time in interpreted asm, which isn't nice at the best of times).

17. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

/me wonders what would happend if condom companys offered connected equipment warranty. :D

18. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Its cheap but its only small. 15 mins isnt very long.

If you want surge protection then get surge protection. I thought the idea of a UPS was to keep stuff like servers powered up in the event of a power cut.

Am I missing something?

19. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Yup, a UPS provides protection against under voltage, which is more common(esp. if your using 10/15k rpm hdds). This and not losing the data your working on are the main two reasons, for which 15mins is ample, but when its such a high VA, does make you wounder why!?

20. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

looking at the specs it looks like an offline UPS too, which is part of the reason its cheap.

An offline UPS supplies power for the mains untill it drops, then switches over to its internal cells and inverter

where as an online UPS supplies power for the cells and inverter all the time, using the mains power to keep the cells charged up, helps keep the power clean due to it allways being supplied from the inverter.