Cooling pool as reservoir + radiator

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theflinger, 23 May 2004.

1. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

I did think of putting my rad in my basement, which is always cooler than it is up here.

But if you had it outside, your water could get colder than ambient = condensation, right?

this was all just a joke thread lol, glad everyone is having fun

2. Hades12

Hades12 What's a Dremel?

Do you run the pool Filter and Pump all the time?

Here is what I would do, Tap a line off of the outlet of the pump, run it to the house to a drum in the atic, use a much larger line as a return to the pool in case of overflow, gravity feed your WC setup.

The pump is providing pressure and filtered water.

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

i have a a 50 gallon fish tank my my comp use it as a reservor :naughty:

4. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

not bad :)
    The pump doesnt run all the time, though.

5. bOt

bOt What's a Dremel?

Yeah Rekarp, I was going to use my old fish tank, but partition off a square in the middle purely for the res, then fish could swim round in the rest of the tank. Unfortunatley financial and spacial constraints meant it wasn't viable :grr: , but I hope to resurrect the idea in the future.

6. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

wouldn't that overheat the water and kill the fish?

7. bOt

bOt What's a Dremel?

I doubt it would, but then, there is always tropical fish :thumb:

8. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I guess you'd have to calculate it out... but i would think that if you are dissipating any more than 50W of heat energy into the water steady it would get above 78°F before too long... unless your room is very cold. Dont forget that 50g of water has glass on 5 sides which will help keep the heat in.

9. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

hmm 50 gallons of water is alot to heat up. i mean i dont even have a heater on it. Plus i run 440 watts of VHO flourestant lights 5 inches above the water (i have sal****er) and it only raises the temp by 3*F after 6 hours of use. Lets not go into the sal****er will corrode my water block plz :grr:

Or run the water cooling tho your fridge. ive seen this done to fish tanks to cool them to like 55-60*F.

edit/ why is the **** appearing in sal****er??

10. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

i helped a buddy build a submurged system in a fish tanks, it was a 29gallon long tank, and with a pice of plexi in an arc shape from left back to right back taking about 1/5th of the tank, we siliconed it in place, and submureged his old slot 1ghz athlon (oc to 1.3(iirc?)ghz) and we submurged everything but the hard drive, PSU, and cdrom, and then filled the tank with mineral oil and the other side (after 48hours of leak testing(no leaks :D)) with plain old water, and setup a tropical fish tank. with the athlon running 24/7 and folding like mad (read cpu maxed all the time) the cpu temp hovered at ~100f! with a stock HS on it (fan removed) and with a air bubbler under it to move the oil around. it keept the water side temp at ~82f and the oil was ~90F. it was keept in the garage with a ambiant temp of ~60f. you have to keep in mind that glass does not insulte very well at all, alot of heat just moved out of the tank via the glass, and most tropical fish peopel know that you should use ~50 watts per us gallon.

Tags: