1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help please :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tomm, 10 Sep 2004.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Hi, I just got my broadband installed this morning by NTL (Booo! I hear you cry... Well it was the cheapest and I have a 1.5MB connection :D). Anyway, I've installed all their software (Which as far as I can tell just installs some rubbish "broadband medic", Zonealarm :thumb: and changes your network settings). This all works fine with an ethernet cable straight from the PC to the modem. Great.

But now I want to share the connection, without leaving 1 PC on all the time. I've got a hub (A netgear 8 port hub - not a switch, but it was free so hey) and all the cables.

When I plug it all together with the hub, nothing happens, no internet access etc. I can't find an IP for the modem... Does it have one?

Anyway, my question is this. Does the modem act as a router, or do I need to buy one?

Thanks for any help you can give/light you can shed etc... :cooldude:

2. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

You need a router :)

3. Tomm

I thought as much :(

Can anyone else confirm this? When I had ADSL, the router was the modem. My modem (NTL:home 200) isn't a router then?

Can anyone recommend a cheap router? Or possibly a 16 port switch/router.

4. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

Ebuyer do a US Robotics one for £20 I think. Comes with 4 port switch and Parallel print server.

5. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

You can get modems with built in routers, but this is the exception not the\rule (esp when getting equipment from an ISP). Unless you have documentation saying specifically it has a router, it doesn't.

6. Tomm

OK, thanks for the help. I've just been down to Micro-Direct and bought a D-Link Router for £28, so it's not too bad. Task for tonight is to set it up :)

Tags: