Modding advanced alarm clock

Discussion in 'Modding' started by theagent, 13 Sep 2004.

1. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

so yeah, most of us hate our alarm clocks, this is a known fact. for a while now i've been dreaming of having an alarm clock that was more advanced than ever before, so i come to you in my time of need. the clock could simply be an old computer with a keyboard and monitor, i have room in my bedroom for such a thing.

things i find important:
    -a snooze button that cancels that day's alarm. i want to depress it and know that tomorrow's alarm will still go off.
    -i want it to flash pretty pictures so i get the hell out of bed. well, maybe just flash white repeatedly
    -i want to have the ability to make alarms in mass, say every other week at 6:10 weekdays only, for the whole schoolyear, yet treat them as independant
    -it should automatically boot up in the event that the power goes out.

obviously, i dont expect this handed to me, it probably doesnt exist, but i'm wondering if anyone has worthwhile suggestions, not "learn to program you jackass!" thanks!

2. jinexile

jinexile What's a Dremel?

You know I've always wanted something like this myself, that is until I moved my computer out of my room. This is VERY simple programming and if I had time wouldn't mind working on it, however, time right now is not something I have.

The A button snooze you speak of is actually normally called "sleep" on alarms (snooze being the 5-10 minute period before the alarm fires again, sleep actually cancels that day's alarm, its been the cuplrit for my tardness on too many occassions :)).

Here's a couple ideas I had for mine back in the day

- Slowly turns up the volume starting about 5-10 minutes (configurable) so that it wakes you a little more naturally rather than blaring at 100% right off the bat.
    - Mod a plug-in into the computer and when the alarm triggers it can turn on your reading lamp too (also with the possibility of slowly growing brighter with the use of a dimmer effect so again wakes you a little more naturally)

3. theagent

4. Exigent

Exigent What's a Dremel?

Heres what I use:

http://www.geocities.com/vinodtandon/cac/index.html

Minor gripes, but its a good proggie.

edit-

I think I just found a new program... and damn it looks nice.

http://www.ornj.net/software/citrus/

No review from me yet, but I am optimistic.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2004
  5. theagent

hey, that looks kindof awesome! i'll hav to see how good of an old computer i can get, since i have no pc in my room

thanks!