1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ban on Assault weapons Lifted

Discussion in 'Serious' started by SitraAchra, 13 Sep 2004.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You're right. I won't. But nationality disregarded, the logic remains questionable.

If I interpret your point correctly, you're saying all this bad stuff could essentially be bought before the ban was lifted. But what I want to know is whether the ban on automatic weapons still stands or whether that was lifted too.

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, first off, just to clarify the ban isn't being lifted, it is expiring. There was a 10-year ban on this stuff.

Yes, you could still buy these weapons durring the ban as long as it didn't have the stuff I listed (grenage launcher, bayonet mount, etc) and you had the proper authorization.

As far as the automatic weapons are concerned, that is completely different from the 1994 ban. Automatic weapons (M16A2 and the like) are not banned and never have been, but are heavily restricted to civilians and governed by the National Firearms Act of 1934. Essentially, In order for a civilian to own such a weapon, they must be a specially licensed ATF dealer selling such weapons to law enforcement and military or the following conditions must be met (not a list of all conditions but just the major ones):

1. FBI background check (not the Instant Background Check; but a full 6-month or longer investigation)
    2. Registration of weapon
    3. Transfer tax of $200 per NFA item
    4. State approval
    5. Local law enforcement approval
    6. Weapon must be produced prior to 1986
    7. ATF Approval

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, that's something at least. Perhaps they could take this opportunity to re-structure the restrictions and, as you suggested, look at functionality rather than optional trimmings in determining what features are acceptable on a rifle for, er, consumer use.

4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

Most of the things on this list are pretty sensible. :thumb:

But banning someone from having an automatic rifle because they might stick an ickle knife on the end seems a little bit retarded to me
    :confused:

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

The ban wasn't designed to criminalize HAVING these weapons, like I said, what it banned was that the weapon couldn't have those things I listed. In other words, I would be within my rights to buy an AR-15A2 as long as it didn't have a bayonet mount, muzzle flash thing, grenade launcher, etc. The ban was essentially a "feel good" measure by the Clinton administraton but with no substance at all.

6. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

The same way I can call collecting action figures, antiques, comic books or millitaria fun. I'd be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of people who purchase these weapons maybe fire them a few times. Then they sit in a gun cabinet in the office. An AK-47 or an AR15 are just a tad different from a cruise missile. :p I have a .308 with a scope that can deal death from a few hundred yards as well.

I completely agree with you. One of the biggest problems with weapons is lack of education. That's one reason why you have 5 year olds accidentally shooting each other. They are not taught to respect the weapon or how to properly use it. I'm all for "cooling off periods" and all. All of my weapons remained locked up. I have a 2 year old...and as soon as she's able, I'm going to teach how to use a gun. I'm not going to leave it lying around for her to play with. Believe it or not...I'm a responsible gun owner. :eeek:

Here is a point that I think needs to be made. The US police force doesn't carry fully automatic weapons either. And the assault rifles that were banned were NOT fully automatic weapons. They are semi-auto. Fully auto weapons (machine guns) have been unlawful since 1934. People who do own them are subject to intense background checks and regulations. See here for more info.

Truthfully, I would much rather have my shotgun for home defense than my .38 Special. In the event that I need to defend myself and my family in my home (and yes...I would kill someone breaking into my home in less than a heartbeat) there is no better choice than a shotgun. Point and click. Do I own a shotgun soley for the purpose of home defense? No. I also enjoy hunting very much. But it has the added bonus of home defense. And if some one was to ask me what type of weapon they should buy for home defense, a shotgun is the first thing I'm going to suggest. :thumb:

7. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

So you'd rather go to jail for murduring a thief, leaving your 2 year old unsupported, than not own a shotgun? If you really think self defence is a good excuse for owning a gun I seriously doubt your value of human life. I could understand smashing a robber's face with a baseball bat but that's a whole lot different from killing them.

8. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

No...I'd rather know that if a thief ever came into my house, my 2 year old would be protected from potential harm. Defense of myself and my family is more than enough reason to own a weapon. I value my life and the life of my loved ones a whole lot more than anyone else's life. And if I thought I would have to take someone else's life to protect the lives of those I care about....I wouldn't think twice. Once someone threatens me or my family by violating the sanctity of my home, I don't value anything of their's, life included.

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

From http://www.vpc.org/studies/whounin.htm
    So, Deviate, you've a choice. Keep a loaded gun to hand in case a burglar calls and risk your child playing with it, or keep it safe and hope the burglar makes an appointment to break in. :confused:

And back to this "ban", according to http://www.vpc.org/press/0407USofAW.htm,
    Like the Spam Laws, enough loopholes to let the bad guys carry on making money.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2004
  10. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

For those who don't know EXACTLY what the act covered. Please read this:
    http://www.awbansunset.com/whatis.html

That will explain the difference between an "assault weapon" and an assault riflle or automatic rifle or machine gun.

All this means is that I can now have a gun with a bayonette, or a gun with a grenade launcher that I can't get grenades for. And I can get rifles that LOOK like automatic rifles.

Basically this is good for collectors and people who don't believe weapons should be banned.

This is NOT stating that we can go buy automatic weapons. only semi-automatic.

11. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

last time i use cnn to inform me about weapon bans :grrr: i guess my first post was misleading. i just said what i read, i guess it's different

12. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

The Clinton News Network for weapons news? I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw my new Barretta M82 :p

13. Falkram

Falkram What's a Dremel?

ok....the ban of assault weapons, personnally is a good idea...there's really no reason to own them. Ok, maybe for collectors or such, but, the box that's opened with this ban lifted is just too much. This opens the possibility to have these guns legally purchased and used in any assortment of crimes. It's just a bad idea to have the ability to have these guns open for casual purchase.

14. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

If a legal gun is used in a crime it's infinitely easier to track down.

15. Falkram

Falkram What's a Dremel?

well....to put it bluntly...la dee ******* da...does that mean they won't happen?...has it stopped anyone yet?...

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Sep 2004
  16. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Ok...last off topic comment from me. :D

Over a 10 year period almost 2200 American kids died in unintentional shootings. Out of how many millions of households with children under the age of 14 and weapons?!?! I mean put the numbers in perspective and give them some meaning! Like I said and eluded to in my previous post....some of the main reasons these accidents happen are because there are people who are not responsible. They don't teach their children about weapons, they don't do anything to prevent their children from getting a hold of the weapons, and this miniscule number of children die because of it. It's terrible that it happens and I hope those parents are punished for it...but that's an average of 22 kids a year out of MILLIONS. More kids die from chihuahua maulings each year. :hehe:

And out of 26 industrialized countries the US ranked first...how many of those other countries allow private ownership of weapons and how many people actually own weapons? Common sense will tell you that if there are more weapons in the hands of US citizens there will be more accidents of this nature...They didn't need a study for that. Simple math would have sufficed. But that's like saying there are more traffic related fatalities in the US than in the Amazon river basin....because there are more cars! LOL!!!!

I have been around guns literally my entire life. I was taught how to handle them, how to shoot them, how to clean them, etc. I never played with them, because I knew what they were. And my daughter will grow up the same way. :thumb:

17. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

I hope it DOES! I hope someone mugs someone who has an AK. I hope they steal that AK and rob a bank with it. Then I hope the guy who got mugged identifies them. Maybe THEN you'll see that this will do more good than harm. :rolleyes:

Also, on the children issue. More kids will die from pistols than "assault weapons" if you look at it that way.
    Anyone have the specs on how many kids die from being shot with bb-guns? I know a couple who almost did (within 1")... none who were almost killed by being wreckless with a real gun though...

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Sep 2004
  18. Silence

Silence What's a Dremel?

Personally, as much as i think the gun laws in America are stupid, this recent lapsing of the 1994 legislation will have very little effect. America has got to the point that only a nationwide banning of all firearms, plus the enforced seizing and destruction of guns, would bring their gun crime statistics down.

Let's face it, that will NEVER happen. America is saturated with guns, and it's going to stay that way.

19. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

The only things that will accomplish are: may reduce accidental deaths, may reduce "crimes of passion" and it will cause an uprage by the public. Owning a firearm is a protected right within the Bill of Rights and if the government outlaws guns, there will be a mass uprising. It goes back to the old saying that if the government outlaws guns, only outlaws will own a gun.

20. Silence

Silence What's a Dremel?

^^^
    And that's one of the reasons why it will never ever happen :)

People can complain and campaign as much as they like, the American gun law will never change, even if (god forbid) someone legally purchases some guns and then goes on to kill the president and all his staff/government.

A question i'd like to ask is, do people here think that America has a gun problem?