Project: Centurion 2.1

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jinexile, 13 Sep 2004.

1. jinexile

jinexile What's a Dremel?

Ok well my first mod was changing the green leds in my keybord to blue but I consider that warm up for modding :)

I was always aware of the modding scene but was never really interested in it until I saw works of art such as the Orac3 and other beauties on the forums here. Once I saw them I was hooked, I couldn't wait to get my first dremel and start cutting into stuff.

My first project I decided was some to mod my CoolerMaster Centurion 2 to give it a little more.

Anyways here's my initial design
    [​IMG]

the white area is window except the Circle that's where a fan is going (yea I know its not very functional there but it's a form vs function question.) The JINEXILE (pronouned j-in-exile for those that are wondering) will be etched into the window and possibly lit by some LCDs.

This will be done on my Coolermaster Centurion 2

I've done the cuts and modified the design slightly the window looks pretty cool. Images forthcoming, need to steal a friends camera as my pos web cam doesn't cut it.

Got a question though. For smoothing out the edges on the case what would be the best tool for that? I tried to use the dremel sanding drum bit it work out pretty quick as I figured it would.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2004
  2. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Looks good. You mean LEDs to light up the etching I assume. Bring on the pics.

3. jinexile

Yea LEDs, I always do that when talking about LCDs I say LEDs and when talking about LEDs I say LCDs. Damn dyslexia.

Now I wanna go home and finish up the acrylic work, damn work!

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

you may need to use different colour LEDs to distinguish the J-In-Exile, or maybe just change it to JINEXILE or something.

5. jinexile

good Idea jazzle I'll see if I can work it

6. jinexile

As promised, I ganked my sister's Camera (which is a very nice Canon Powershot G3)
    As you'll notice the cuts are not very straight at all, but I think the camera exagerates them quite a bit. I also got a little impatient (one of my major problems with modding) and slipped a few times and it was my first time with a dremel. I'm thinking now I either gotta find matching paint or re-paint the entire case. You'll notice it's not exactly as the design specified. A) the slits at the top are now just two instead of 3-4 this was because of a bad cut I made in the middle and b) there is no bottom window area after the fan hole, this is partially because the circles are really time consuming and partially because I decided for a bigger fan (original called for 80mm, I switched to 120mm).

Window 1
    The next one definitly exagerates the uneven cuts there are not that bad!
    Window 2

Some picks of the mobo/cpu/video card
    Close up of Computer
    And another

Specs:
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    AMD Athlon64 3000+
    1GB DDR 3200
    Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb ddr w/s-video out
    Western Digital 160gb SATA
    Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm ATA133
    NEC MultiSync FP1350 22" Pure Flat (primary)
    Dell POS(;)) 19" CRT (Secondary)

Next up: The Acryclic.... I still gotta figure out how I'm gonna cut the hole for the fan... I have very little in the way of tools.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2004
  7. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

for smoothing out the edges just sand or file them down, that cutout is pretty good for a first time, it funny you and me got identical Mobo and CPU, and we both from Alberta!!

8. splinter_cell

splinter_cell What's a Dremel?

window is a little too big for my tastes. the drives should be painted, because as they are they are kinda an eyesore.

i have same vid card. :D

9. jinexile

Update:

Was unable to pick up the acrylic today so I decided to stealth my CD-RW.

For this I decided simple as possible. I took my old bay cover from my mobo box, used some pliers to take of the edges (griping them and moving up and down) they came off clean and simple and was left with just the cover.

I popped off my CD cover and lined it up (I used a phillips head to make a rough etch of where the bay door should be)
    [​IMG]

Then I used some hot glue to affix the door (I didn't think it would work well but was suprised with the results... I 'll probably use something better in the future but this seems to get the job done)
    [​IMG]

Then I just popped back on the cover and bay door and voila!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Caj Darkmoon

Caj Darkmoon What's a Dremel?

Thats a darn good case. :) Check the thread I just dragged up.

11. jinexile

Ah yes I do like the Centurion 2, it had the nice clean design I enjoy most but also seems to be ripe for modding.

12. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

The top left of the design looks awesome, but I don't really like the bottom left part. Pretty nice though, show us some pics!

13. jinexile

Current pics are up there nomis. What do you mean by the bottom left? The JINEXILE part? I've redesigned it some and think it will look much cooler. I hope to pick up the acrylic today and get it done so you can see.

14. jinexile

Spent a good hour with the dremel cutting out the fan window (which I picked up today) and it turned out pretty nice.

Picage:
    Here's just the window
    [​IMG]
    With the fan "in place"
    [​IMG]
    with the Case siding over it
    [​IMG]

It all fits nicely and everything now I just gotta do the etching and LEDs. Then affix it all together.

Need some help. How do you think I should stick the fan to the acrylic, I don't really wanna use screws. I was thinking of using epoxy where its hidden by the case and a small dab in the top left corner to prevent vibrations. Any other suggestions?

15. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

Nice window design :rock: