1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Vinyl Dye Q

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Geek, 15 Apr 2002.

1. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

For all those vinyl dye gurus:
    What can I use to mask off areas on plastic for vinyl dye? I've heard that it'll seep through masking tape...is duct tape better? Electrical tape? Mounting tape? Vaseline?

Thanks,
    Gordon
    'bout to be modding this bad boy - ph34r :--)

2. Coords666

Coords666 What's a Dremel?

Are you modding a modern PC into that case? That's a pretty damn cool looking case..... Sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

3. Pico

Pico What's a Dremel?

ya, masking tape doesnt work the best. someone painted their keyboard here on this forum. they used some blue tape... ask them.

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

yeah, if you use the blue "painter's tape" like you get at hardware/home improvement stores and you use the dye like you are supposed to (multiple, light layers) you should have no problems. Doesn't hurt to give the edge of the tape a good rub with your finger or a squeegy to make sure you have a good seam and don't leave the tape on too long. I had a disaster with the regular masking tape and moved over to the blue painters tape but have heard you can leave that on too long also.

5. BlackFlux

BlackFlux What's a Dremel?

Linear is the man who you need to talk to. His web site is here. Sorry Linear I had to pimp your site. :D

6. linear

linear Minimodder

Hey, no prob. I haven't done any projects where I masked. I usually take everything apart as much as possible.

But if you need the type of mask you can cut intricate details into, then frisket film, sold for masking airbrush work, is the stuff you want. You should be able to get as detailed as you care to with that stuff.