1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ideas for a cube case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by retrogamer, 18 Sep 2004.

1. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

hi there :)

im planning on making a cube out of aluminium. 250x250x250mm cube with a rigid 'chassis' made also of alu. This is for my first rig, its a gaming rig probably to be taken to LANs and stuff but i cant think of a decent theme :sigh: i thought perhaps for a side panel i could have a red led fan positioned to feed the graphics card (r9800 pro OCed to XT) and then cut a window like a trail of lamez behind it... sound any good?

i was thinking a kinda 'rock red' colour or perhaps black for the main body? red and black was my idea for the colour scheme ;) black insides and red out or visa versa... im not sure tbh, any ideas on this?

also the big question - what could i do for a theme? i know people do games, HL2, doom 3 etc but i know if i do a game theme than eventually ill get bored with it ;) so i need a better idea... i was thinking something to go with the fireball or even REPLACE it as i am open for suggestions ;) wide open... dragons are cool :thumb: but i cant think of any good ideas to go with that?

also for the front panel, i want a kind of sum up of the whole theme :) for example i loved ZapWizards Ati/A64 theme :D with the razorblade at the front but i cant think of any decent ideas for that :( perhaps a fireball? i dont know :S

if you have managed to get through all that writing without being bored to death good on ya :thumb: now id be very greatful for any ideas anyone has :D

big thanks for listening :D

Last edited: 18 Sep 2004
  2. retrogamer

no one got any deas? well i got one... but its just a begining... how bout a retro (;)) game theme? with pac man, sonic mario or something?? any ideas?

3. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

Make it look like a meteor.

4. MiniG

MiniG What's a Dremel?

More on your sonic idea, how about using an image of sonic Spinning as the front, (like Zaps blade) you could add a running sonic round the sides (like in the start of the mega drive games). with the speed lines running round the case, (like go faster stripes) Maybe even make the stripes out of frosted plexi and light them with Blue LED's for the authentic sonic speed.

MiniG

5. retrogamer

Im liking that idea MiniG ;) how would i go about making the images look like the right colours and look professional? theres no way i can paint it on by hand :p if I got a large picture and shrunk it down so it was a detailed print and stuck that on the side with some plexi over would that look any good do ya reckon? im open to ideas following yours mate ;) nice one :D

6. CYRiX

CYRiX What's a Dremel?

Make the Whole thing One big sphere, but all ports wireless so its rollable! I'd love that, or a sphere pac-man

7. retrogamer

CYRiX i think everyone knows that that would be the greatest and most fun pc ever made but i dont think its plausable :sigh: nice idea though... we can dream... :blush:

8. MiniG

MiniG What's a Dremel?

here's what I'd do......

the way I'd do it, is probably to make your case out of alu, them overlay the plexi ontop, so the order would be.

ALU side
    Picture
    Plexi

that way your pictures are gonna be kept mark free as is your alu gonna be fingerprint free.
    Another idea could be to mask where the picture is gonna go and frost the plexi (leaving the speed lines clear) so they light up nicely, but that would hide your nice alu panel, so you could just use 2 pieces of plexi, and make it a giant window on that side......
    (id'd use this kinda image, nice and simple if you wanted to paint it, but easier to stick on [​IMG]

The sonic on the front however would be a lot easier. all you'd need is a piece of round plexi, and an image of sonic in this kinda pose, [​IMG]
    Stick that on the front Like Zap did and there ya go, If you do it with the picture's behind plexi method and secure the plexi with screws and bolts rather than glue, you could always change the pictures later if you get bored of sonic.

MiniG

9. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

why dont u base the theme on a movie u liked ?

10. retrogamer

i always liked movies after ive just seen them but i grow out of them pretty fast, nice idea though :thumb:

and that idea is a good one miniG :thumb: I might do that but im not too sure whether im gonna do the retro thing anymore but i could have the idea you sugested but be able to hot swap them round easily ;) then id never get bored :D im thinking about a radioactive theme actually - hows that sound??? then i can swap around the pics for other things if i want and have many different colours of LEDs in the to match the theme...

i just thought of that now... :idea: its genius! thanks for the help guys - all i need to do now is get some materials :naughty: err, oh, and the contents of the PC :duh: need ££ first ;)

what do you reckon? MOD then PC or PC then MOD in terms of buying the parts and doin stuff?

11. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

I made a cube, just checkout the link in my sig

12. MiniG

MiniG What's a Dremel?

You'd probably be best buying the main parts, Motherboard Processor etc, so that you've got an idea of size for the case and wht spaces you'll have left after the boards are in.

MiniG

13. retrogamer

yeh thats what i thought :thumb: