1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Punk legend Johnny Ramone dies

Discussion in 'General' started by Will, 16 Sep 2004.

1. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1305793,00.html

Only one of the original ramones left now :(

Sure, the ramones were a bit before my time (heck my dad remembers listening to them in his early thirties and going to see them three times :hehe:), sure, but still for me they are the original punk band who influenced a whole load of newer bands in a massive way, before the sex pistols and so on who some people seem to think were the first punk band ever or something.

2. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Oh my god i didn't know, RIP, what a legend :rolleyes:

3. quack

quack Minimodder

/me is playing 23 - The Ramones - Hey! Ho! Let's Go - Anthology - I Wanna Be Sedated.mp3

:(

RIP Johnny!

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Again, at 26, i'm a little too young to have appreciated the Ramones in their heyday, but their early records were a great influence on me when i first picked up a guitar over a decade ago.
    Besides leaving us behind a bucketload of timeless, great music, Johnny Ramone also introduced us to one of the unwritten rules of being a guitarist: as long as you had the cool factor and the attitude, technical ability really didn't matter :thumb:
    We covered 'I Wanna be Sedated' for Joey when he passed a few years back - i'll be picking a suitable tribute for Johnny, next time we play.

We've lost another icon. Rest In Peace....

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I don't care much for the ramones in the same way I don't care much for the beatles.

I am sick to death of people wearing ramones t-shirts or talking about ramones t-shirts when they clearly don't listen to or acknowledge their music. One example would be a childrens TV presenter who was clearly sporting one of their tshirts for no reason. The children watching would never understand the significance.

I don't know who is feeding the public eye with ramones by the bucketful but it has put me off ever wanting to listen or respect this band.

6. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight What's a Dremel?

That's really sad. I've always liked the Ramones. I myself believe that Poison Heart was their best song.

TDK

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Yeah, +150pts for the asinine post of the year there.

Doesn't matter what you think of the Ramones, like em or dislike em, but they will always be one of the most influential of the punk bands. True icons, both musically and stylistically.

8. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

I too really admire nobs who read an 'RIP' headline, then come in and sh*t on the guy in an attempt to get a personal vendetta off their chest....

Your argument is valid for maybe one or two instances only - there is certainly no need to bring it up in here tho....
    "Feeding the public eye by the bucketful"??? hardly.... I'm guessing someone in particular has ticked you off a little here, and it's ok - i loathe Vernon Kaye, too ;)

Back to the pit with you, foul smelling anus-boy....

Last edited: 20 Sep 2004
  9. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Heh I saw Vernon Kaye yesterday at the radio 1 Festival.....what a knob, so up of himself, Zane Lowe on the other hand, he rocks, got the crowd in the alt (radio 1's version of alt been mod/prog/indie :|) so well, made the DJ'ing/songs inbetween the bands like a gig on its own...

Moving on though, never really got into the ramones fully, listened to most there discography and liked it, but just not my thing, but as mookboy said, they really did bring punk out to the masses and left everyone some timeless classics.
    Heh, I resent that comment, if theres anything I hate about music atm, its the way some bands spend more time with there image etc than there actually playing ability, I would prefer going to see some band where the guitarist stands there and pulls off some amazing riff's solos to go with the music instead of some dickhead prancing/jumping all over the stage playing 2-3 note power chords before smashing his guitar at the end of his set :|

- M@

10. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

We are all entitled to our opinions even if they are wrong, but I have to disagree about the children. My children 4 and 7 have been listening to the Ramones since they were in the womb. My wife has about everything Ramones on vinyl and I transferred most to CD. I know I can get the CD re-mastered, but it lacks something that the vinyl has (same for the Furs). Heck, one of my daughters favorite DVD’s is Rock and Roll Highschool. :rock:

By the way, wearing a Ramones t-shirt IS acknowledging their music. Again my kids woud understand. My daughter and son have t-shirts from every concert they have been to and one from every show I have been to since they were born. However, it's just a cool shirt not a statement.

11. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

OT a bit but I thought Zane Lowe was a dj for xfm not Radio 1 unless his changed camps in the last year or two, but hey I could be wrong.

12. penski

penski BodMod

Zane lowe is Satan incarnate...quite possibly the most annoying man on TV/radio.

To be honest, one of the Ramones dying means as much to me as one of the Bee Gees dying.

*n

Last edited: 20 Sep 2004
  13. quack

quack Minimodder

He got poached by the Beeb.

14. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Image in music has always been something people have whinged about. Since year dot. People probably complained the Mozart was too cool looking or something. It's a boring arguement that never goes anyway. Unless you're talking about a group like Sigue Sigue Sputnik...

On the tee-shirt issue. How exactly does someone judge some ELSES worthyness to wear it? It's something that pisses me off no end when some precious twerp whines on about so-and-so wearing a shirt with a certain band on it, becuase they would apparently be wearing it merely to pose. Mind reading does not work, so somehow knowing its down to posing and not actually liking the music is a symptom of ******dom.