1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding can anyone recommend a dremel type rotary tool? :)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by retrogamer, 21 Sep 2004.

1. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

on my veture out into the world of modding im defo gonna need a rotary tool :dremel: dont wanna spend shed loads... i found one on www.argos.co.uk thats not too bad with variable speed up to 30k :) thats £30 but are there any better deals out there???

2. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

can it get below 10k rpm ?

i got one from aldi and its bottom is about 10 000 rpm ... and that is too fast for plexi runs too hot...

if you dont intend to do plastics with it you shold be allrigth

3. Darv

Darv Bling!!

My £20 jobbie form B&Q is still goign fine and I've had it a couple of years.

4. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Don't know about their availability in Europe, but I have a RotoZip, which isn't quite a dremel. It's a Rotary tool that uses a drill-bit style bit, that can cut like a router, only in much more material styles. So, basically it's an all-angle Jig Saw. It worked wonders cutting my plastic, and I think it's the right tool for the job. Plus, whenever you need to cut through material to make any design, you can use this tool. It goes down to 10 or 15k rpms, but it hasn't melted a thing. I even tested to see when it would melt something, I'm still trying.

5. TZBull

TZBull What's a Dremel?

isnt there one like a wizard i think i have an old one of them. but it gathers dust whilst my dremel does all the work :dremel:

6. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

that argos tool goes 8-30k rpm, handy that as I was thinkin of gettin me one :D(argos just opened in town...)

7. Go4t

Go4t i

the rotozip is very nice for cutting steel with the disk attachment
    mine came with a diamond cutting wheel that cut very nicely but it broke when the rotozip fell off the table :wallbash:

8. stevegazza

stevegazza What's a Dremel?

Chatting to a guy on another forum last week and he bought a Dremel clone on ebay.
    It cost him £8ish, and it worked fine, took all the dremel parts too!
    Worth a look, just search on 'Dremel'

9. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

might I suggest an actaul dremel :idea: :hehe: ...(i have own several cheap knockoffs and none have ever been as good as the real thing i own now) they tend to be of higher quality craftsmen ship

10. retrogamer

well can anyone recommend one that goes fast enough for metals and slow enough for plexi :D it never says the slowest speed on ebay - only fastest...

thanks

11. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Trying looking into a Black and Decker RTX, damn fine pieace of kit. Does Plastics, Steel, Aluminium, Wood. Its my baby :D

12. riggs

riggs ^_^

Try heading down to Boyes. I picked up a Draper multi-tool for about £20..can't remember what speeds it does though...

13. Go4t

Go4t i

for cutting plexi a hacksaw or jigsaw would work much better than a dremel just takes longer with a hacksaw

14. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I totally agree, I got mine from Argos for around £30 so it might be the one you have seen.

15. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

theres one in Maplin now on offer, they also have a large accessories set for not that much, i got a catalogue here somewhere, atm they're both 15quid, for 30 quid if it only lasts six months you got a shed load of extras, codes are NO8AX for the drill and its box of bits, then the extra accesories are NO7AU also 15 quid

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040923145527154&moduleno=37297

for drill

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040923145527154&moduleno=37359

for the accessories.

Just thought i'd pass it on, think i'll get one for that price!

16. retrogamer

thanks for the link Puk, but anyone know how fast these go? or how slow?

17. ede670

ede670 What's a Dremel?

yup they go from 8-18,000 not fast enough ...I bought one does the 16 year olds daughters nails fine though :wallbash:

18. wickyman

wickyman What's a Dremel?

im not sure if you guys have "craftsman tools" over in europe, but i am using a craftsman all in one. it has everything you can think of to turn it into a roto-zip style tool, it has the cord style attatchment for easier working, and so many other parts. it well worth its $80 here in the states, i didnt but it, it was here when i moved in with the gf. but there is also a craftsman dremel knock off, and it goes 3k-25k. not bad. just not as powerful as the all in one. lol that goes 20k-50k i think. pretty nice tool. look into it, well worth its weight in gold! it gets your etching, cutting on every material you throw at it, and it has 2 settings, 20k, and 50k, but they call it 1/2... thats why i dont know of the speed... im going to have to look into that... but the slowest speed is normally too high for things, such as plastics and woods... it leaves melting, and burn marks. lol gl on your pilgramage!

19. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Ah cheers for the info ede670, i was gonna go down and ask em, but then knowing half the maplin lot they wont know anyhow!

And to Wickyman, no we dont have craftsman, i really wish we did, its all i spend my money on whenever i go stateside, broken a few things and taken them back a year after i bust em to claim on the life guarantee they have!

20. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

I got my authentic dremel for like $40US. I have no idea what that is in GBP. I bought it at a large home improvement warehouse. again i don't know anything about what is in the UK. sorry dude.