1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Building my own Reservoir

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ICDragon, 22 Sep 2004.

1. ICDragon

ICDragon What's a Dremel?

I have been planning (and saving up) for a water cooling system for a while now, and I think I got the logistics down now. My only problem is the reservoir. I want to build one myself but becasue I have a shuttle it needs to be freakin small (I was thinking approx 2"x2"). I was wondering if anyone knows where I can finds some sort of guide to build my own. I was also wondering about the difficulty of filling a system with a T line instead of a res. also is having a small res worth it? will it make much of a difference or just interfere?

2. Slayer the Unholy

Slayer the Unholy What's a Dremel?

In my opinion a small res isn't worth it. If you have the tools to cut plexiglass I would suggest building a res to put either on top or bottom of your case thats the same size in length and width and about 2"-3" high then just cut some small holes through your case and the plexiglass for the tubes. Defenitly leak test it before putting it in your case, I would get some epoxy to seal all the edges (drill the tube holes before sealing it). I would personally then either get a good quality uv dye or paint it.

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

4. ICDragon

yeah I may just go with an F&B kit, unless I can find a place to fit a slightly larger res. how difficult is usuing an F&B and how does it work exactly?

5. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Mount the res outside the case ! that would look good and give more space!

6. ICDragon

No can do... forgot to mention that I'm going to be travelling with the case...

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Ok then you're first issue is to build/find a container that fits in the space and then sort the fittings. 2" square (height?) isn't minute, but I guess you want to keep things as tight as you can. If you're on pushfits you can use bulkheads with most of the body inside the res so the're not much profile outside.

What w/c setup are you using in the shuttle?

Last edited: 24 Sep 2004
  8. ICDragon

C-systems pump (maybe 2 if i need more flow), DD TDX, Polarflo TT VGA, either Black Ice Pro, or Black Ice Micro 2 modded into the top of the case, clearflex tubing.

basically i was thing of making a res the size of the CSP750, and then go in a loop from pump>res>pump>rad>cpu>vga>pump. I know I don't really need to have the res, but i think it would b nice especially since I will probably be adding UV dye later on, plus filling and stuff. If anyone has better ideas or advice plz share :p

9. Risky

Risky Modder

Sounds like a lot of gear inside a shuttle, but I've never worked with one. Assumign you're not into the pump-in-a-res thing, then what you really need is a "header" tank res, I'd guess.

Now the c-systems pump is 1/4NPT iirc so you could perhaps fit a male NPT/bulkhead and direct to your container, keeping things as snug as you can.

A bit like http://www.aquacomputer.de/prodimg/nd_products/as_ai_500.jpg but not that particular design as it is somewhat restrictive.

I can see others better if you intend to by, but I imagined that you very diy-ing.

10. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Thats gonna be one big shuttle with a black ice pro in it :D. I tend to think that one of those pumps would be adequate for the CPU and VGA blocks. I would vote against a res as it could be another source of leaks. Also, if you are traveling with it, chances are that unless the res is 100% full, you will end up letting the bubbles travel through the loop as you move it. You could also argue that a res = more water = more weight. IMO, get a bleed device and stick with 1 pump and see how it works out.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I have a HUGE air bubble as a result of one. I do like how you can test the system for leaks without water though.
    You may just want a T-connector and one of those dangerden fillports :)

12. at_mosby

at_mosby What's a Dremel?

portable external reservoirs?

Use the quick connect/disconnects for air tools? Then you can travel with the reservoir empty? That's what I'll do with the next water cooled case I cobble together.

13. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

or make the entire top of the case a reservor :idea:

14. ICDragon

I would definately be draining it when I travel... I'm also thinking of getting a Polarflo TT chipet block (simply cuz they look cool :hip:) I may just end up getting a Polarflo TT set (CPU,VGA,Chipset) the reason I want 2 pump is for higher flow. I know it will be difficult to mod all this stuff into a shuttle, but I will manage (I have special cramming super powers after all!)

15. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Are you planning to super-overclock the system or something? I'm sure that if you plan to fit in two pumps then you can fit a normal sized res with only 1. Not sure that two pumps would give you a big enough boost to justify the weight/price/complexity/size.
    Oh, gonna be cool no matter what you do :D

Scotty

16. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

Dangerden has these, they look like a nice option for situations like yours :D

Brew

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Two c-systems pumps are still probably smaller than most eheim's. 4"x2"x2". You can fit three of them in a 5.25" bay not counting depth.

18. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

for 99% of the people a small res will not be worth it . especialy in a shuttle.
    in fact the only benifit you are likely to see is in hte first 2 days of filling and bleeding and ONLY if oyu properly configure your system.

otherwise a T line will do you much better and the only problem is that they are a pain for the firs day or so with filling and bleeding the system but if oyu have a properly configured system they will save you a lot of trouble and possible performance degredation in the long run

Tags: