1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics modding idea .. how to make it work .. remote control lights/fans ...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by M0RPH3US, 23 Sep 2004.

1. M0RPH3US

M0RPH3US What's a Dremel?

here's the idea ... i wanna be able to put on/off every single thing in my case, but i dont want any mess with alot of cables and switches ...

would it be possible to do it by remote control ? so i could hde the receiver somewhere so it shows no cable mess ???

and any ideas what hardware i'd need, + where i can get it at (i live in belgium ..)

txs for any help in advance ;)

ps: i wasnt sure if i'd post this here or in the electronics forum ... but this was the most visited (i think ) if i was wrong, pls move ;)

2. M0RPH3US

come on now .. someone has got to know how to pull this off ...

pwetty pwease ???

3. Go4t

Go4t i

as someone has mentioned in another thread you could probably do it with one of those wireless battery powered doorbells
    just needs some re-wiring

may have to try this

4. M0RPH3US

that could do it, but just for one channel ...

i am more looking for a remote control that could controll circa 15 things on/off ... :s

5. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I think that'll be tricky. Most remote have limited functions to keep em cheap & most people don't need that many. Probably the best way is to have a series of switches but the wiring can be pretty well descised if you place them, say on the bottom right of the case.

Hope this helped a bit,

Scotty

6. Songwind

Songwind What's a Dremel?

I don't think you can do it the way you seem to be asking.

Can you create a system with an IR receiver and enough logic built in to turn fans off and on? You bet. It'd probably be really difficult and I personally haven't the foggiest idea of how to start, but it'd have to work on the same basic principles as the TV remote so we know it can be done - we all use it in our daily lives all the time.

Can you do it without a bunch of cable mess? I doubt it.

Think about it. Your power has to be attached to the circuit and the circuit has to be attached to the IR receiver.. so no matter which one is remoted (either circuit with fan and IR remote, or IR with circuit and fan remote) you're going to have a physical connection.

7. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

id like to do something like this, only on a smaller scale at a max of 4 channels. i know radio shack had remote kits for light projects etc. but again i think single channel. i think rf would be a better way to go than ir. ima only gonna use it to say, turn off my musketeer lights from my bed at night. :D

8. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Forget all the remote junk.

Make a serial or parallel control board. You can use them to trip relays via software. You can code the software in just about any language to control the serial or par port (even BASIC). Those board are fairly cheap to buy in kit form and build youself. You will need good soldering skills and basic-mid electronics skills... :thumb:

9. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Well you wouldnt want to do it with a Radio Frequency controller. That would interupt a lot of things in your case. A LOT considering #1 Your network runs on RF, #2 & #3 Sound Card and GFX Card are easily disrupted by RF, #4 devices may turn on and off if it's interupted by Frequency coming out of anything else like the PSU!! So RF is a bad idea. :wallbash:

Infrared would be alright, you could have one transmitter and a reciever on each end. The transmitter would have to send out a different "code" for each different device. Each reciever would have to recieve the "code" and connect the logical switch if that was the correct "code".

True, each device is still going to be connected physically somehow. (unless you wanna go with Tesla's idea of sending power over RF.. but that's RF!! :duh: ) But you can effectively organize the wires and hide them (i suggest getting an old 40 pin IDE cable (splitting it only where you need to) and connecting everything through that or by making your PSU modular. But i guess if you go through all the trouble to do that you might as well just use simple electronic switches to turn on and off your devices huh? :idea:

I suppose when i get a camera i will make a tutorial on how to make your PSU modular and how to connect all of your devices with the 40 pin IDE cable (most likely i'll be using a floppy cable though). Either seperate or i'll include it with my Server Case :naughty: that i'm working on now. A lot of work will be done to that as well. No IR stuff though... sorry!

10. pgp_protector

pgp_protector What's a Dremel?

You could try somthing along this line

[​IMG]

Power supply connected to a digital reciver / relay driver
    The power is then routed from the relays to the indivudal devices that you want to use.

This site has some plans for the Transmitter / reciver

http://www.rentron.com/rf_remote_control.htm

That should help

11. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

but then i cant use it from my bed without stringing a wire across my room

doesnt blue tooth use rf? it doesnt jack with things.

12. M0RPH3US

the idea was the following .. to get a modded case with full lighting, but no buttons, switches, apps .. any fisycal things to controll them ... just a remote ... (would be winning mod compos everywhere :D)

i would really like to make this work ... hope i find out how soon :p

13. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Here ya go:

http://momentumfire.com/RF_Remote_System.html

4 channel remote control with 4 relay reciever thats pretty cheap and easy to do. Just make the 4 outputs work with what you have. To go beyond this, you would have to create your own solution.

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Wrong reason to post in the wrong forum, moving...

15. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

I have had lots of success with the Lapac RLP-434 and TLP-434 modules. Take a look at this datasheet: http://laipac.com/Downloads/Easy/TLPRLP434.pdf. Couple those modules with Holtek encoders and decoders, like the HT-12E and HT-12D, then connect the 4 outputs from the decoder (HT-12D) to a 4-16 decoder (TI makes a good one - I forget it's name at the moment however) and then put latches on those 16 outputs - and then you have high range (hundreds of meters) and 16 latched outputs.

edit: forgot a word.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2004
  16. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

The way i see it and the way i intend to do it is to use a serial/parrelel control board which is in turn operated through the ir remote software girder and then you can use any ir remote i old tv remote ect and program each diffrentfunction to a key.

17. frag_daddy_2007

frag_daddy_2007 What's a Dremel?

im not sure where you could find one over there (i am in the us), but a rf lights controller for a car should work (they are used to control neons and strobes, etc.) car stuff runs on 12v so you could just plug it in to a molex yellow +, and black -, and it should work. as for the limited wires, sorry no can do...

18. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

I have an Axim X30 with WiFi built in, and I can telnet to my Linux server within about 400 feet away from the server, without a wire.
    So just get an Axim X30.