1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Window cutting advice

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NOMIS, 27 Sep 2004.

1. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Hey folks.

I have this window design in mind, and I've draw it up in photoshop yeah, but I am thinking about it and I am wondering how it can be cut.

The 4 lighter grey areas on the picture show the areas I have problems with, the actual dollar sign itself will be plexi glass as a window, but the lighter grey areas will be metal. The problem is, surely they would be floating, not attached to the actual panel by any means?

[​IMG]
    If anybody has ideas or different ways on how I could cut this it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what would be the best tool to cut this with? I have a jigsaw here, but if a dremel is needed I can get a cheap one so that is no hassle.

Thank you for reading.

2. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer What's a Dremel?

It isn't like you couldn't cut out those sections and then use screw to hold the "floating" pieces in place.

Or you could do it like a pumpkin... and make very thin edges connect them to the rest of the case.

3. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Yeah the screw idea is similiar to what I was thinking, but I was thinking of using the same material I would use to attach the square of plexi would be likely to be double sided tape. That would prob be okay I reckon, I would have to figure out a way to get the metal pieces in the right place though.

Your idea about the thin metal might be alright, I'll think about it, maybe I could implement it into the design. Thanks.

If anybody else has ideas, please share :clap:

4. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

id go with the double sided tape idea, or maybe even glue if your confident :)

5. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

hot.glue.gun.

nuff sed.

6. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Whatever method you use to secure the acrylic to the panel is the method you use to secure the panel pieces to the acrylic.

Cut the smaller light gray pieces out first, file, sand and/or finish normally. Cut the dollar sign out and then file, sand and/or finish the edges. I would use a jigsaw to cut all the work out if it is the same size as your drawing or bigger. You'll need to drill some starter holes in various places to position the blade.

7. skeletor121

skeletor121 What's a Dremel?

an easy way to get the "floating" metal pieces in place is to use a template. draw out a template that you will use to create your window. After all the cuts have been made and the pieces ready to go together you can use the template to allign the pieces. Place the acrylic piece over the template. You will then be able to easily line up the placement for your pieces. If you need a better explanation let me know (haven't done this method for a case mod, but have for other projects).

8. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Yeah thanks for the ideas, I will think about it with the advice you have given me. Yes, the picture will be bigger than what I posted, so I will use a jigsaw me thinks.

Thank you.

9. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Double sided tape is what you want.

10. wickyman

wickyman What's a Dremel?

ok... i think you seriously should cut out that light grey section and epoxy the metal in... it would give a cleaner effect, but it would also take a great skill to not make a mess of it... lol if you wait about 20 mins before you put the mtal in, the epoxy will dry slightly, and allow for less mess... thus making your clean look. hmmm.... otherwise you are SOL lol

11. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Personally I'd say skrew the metal and have the dollar part frosted, then light it up with some LEDs on the sides of the plexi :)