1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to Stock Trading

Discussion in 'General' started by John Cena, 24 Sep 2004.

1. apHytHiaTe

apHytHiaTe What's a Dremel?

give it to me

2. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

Your going to waist your time trading stocks if your to lazy to read about it. I do this for a living, well not stocks per say but I trade S&Ps, Nasdaq,Dow,Russel and soon Curency. I have been in the markets for 10 years and its not easy. I bairly get by and I know good traders that have been in the markets for 20+ years that are trading half the day in the pit and the other half as clerks to other traders just to make ends. If I was you I would use part of it to buy a house/condo and use the rest for school or put it into an IRA. You have a great oppertunity, dont throw it away on lazyness.

3. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

With 90k, wouldn't that make a fair amount in a good fund? I didn't think about it until you mentioned IRA... But that would feel like investing... :shrug:

I'd personally buy a TON of property just on the outskirts of a quickly-expanding city and sit on it. Eventually someone will want to build an airport *cough*Fort Worth*cough*Aliance*cough*
    ORRRR, buy a trailer park near Phoenix. It's mostly snow-birds, so you only have half capacity durring the hot part of the year, and because it's mostly snow-birds it's mostly low-maintainance. Just make sure you find plumbers/roofers/ect in the area you can trust, then call them the second you get a call from one of the homeowners.
    And if you doubt the profit on that, go check out the pricing on some of those parks. It's insane. IIRC, my grandparents were paying $400/mo just for a place to have their home (it was a nice double-wide btw, not a mobile home :p ), then they still had to pay water/elec/ect. Now you figure there are 3 or 4 dozen homes in a 3-acre area... you do the math.

Speaking of Phoenix, if you go with buying property, you may want to look there. If you can find any land in the valley you're pretty well set. That city is definitely going to expand to fill the valley. Just a matter of time.

4. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Move to arizona. Buy land by Florence. Wait 10 years for it to double or triple in value. Put 10k of it in a mutual. Still try to get grants and such to go to school so you have even more money to use in these investments.

5. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Gotta remember fellow bBrits, this is 90k USD, that's ?£65k. Lots of cash but definately best to go for deposit and large chunk of a property. If it is rented the mortgage can be paid off, and although you don't immediately get money/not much, you end up with a house! :thumb:

6. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

Depending on where you go and what you study your college education may cost a lot more than 90 grand (and be a MUCH BETTER investment.) Study, pick a career that you will enjoy and invest in that.

Or just invest it all in google, whatever you want.

7. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

to be honest w/ you, stock trading is not a very good way to make money. I have friends who have tried it and were not very successful. It takes a lot of research to pick the right stocks and even then, there are still high risks. If stock trading was a for-sure thing, all stock brokers would be rich, right?

I'd suggest real estate. Even if you only have enough money to buy a crappy house or condo, real estate will get you a much better return on your investment than trying to trade stocks. :thumb:

btw, my college education (4 years) cost about 100k. Thats tuition, books, housing, food. It's more expensive than you think... You're lucky that your parents put that money away for you, it was very wise of them. I intend to do the same if/when I have kids some day. If you just put 100 a week away for 18 years, you'd have 100,000, and thats not including interest.