1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell XPS - Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheCleaner, 1 Oct 2004.

1. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Yea dell has been odd with prices lately. Some systems you can get a great deal on and others there just violating your wallet.

Last week I was reading one of the dell flyers that get send to me in the mail, and they said you can buy a 20.1" LCD for $865. Also in the same flyer where they let you pick the monitor for a computer system, you can upgrade from the 17" CRT to that LCD for an additional $910 :eyebrow: .

2. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

what i meant was, basically since these are dell made mobo in the first place, the could have implemented it to not use DDRII.. therefore reducing the cost.. or if keeping the same cost... give something extra like 5.1.. or decent headphones or summit..

top n botom, we could all probs build a better pc for that price.. and thats buying the parts retail.. think how much comm they make off selling one rig.. makes me sik !! ..

like at my college.. just about 3 yrs ago.. they bought a fleet of dells.. bout £600 each.. :jawdrop: and their specs... celeron 700mhz, 128mb pc100, cd-rom, intel extreme gfx 8mb shared, 15" CRT, worst mice possible and dell KB.. £600 a piece.. no fkin way...
    we still have them in some rooms.. so slow.. though the newer ones arnt too bad.. 2.6ghz celerons, 512mb ddr, intel extreme gfx 32mb, Laptop CD-RW/DVD combos (i want one of these !!), 15" dell TFT w/ 1024x768 res.. finally.. though it safe to say the college will have spent about £1000 on each one, and since its in a school/sixth form.. the damn kids open the laptop style cd drives, and with all the laser assemby on show, decide it will be fun to stick a pen through it :eeek: damn kids !!

3. apollyon

apollyon What's a Dremel?

there not dell made mobos, there someone elses that they've branded dell. So there just gonna order what ever LGA775 board they can get the cheapest in bulk along with the ram and parts that coorespond to it, so in this case it was probably cheaper to have the DDRII ram then to pay more for a more expensive mobo. Plus they get extra marketing with "DDRII WAVE OF THE FUTURE BUY NOW!!!11!!"

4. Monster63385

Monster63385 What's a Dremel?

Right Intel does most of dell's mobo's nowadays, and dell is like Intel's star pupil, they only do things the way Intel says they should be done. Intel's 915 chipset will work with ddr and ddr2, but the 925 does not. Besides Intel wants DDR2 so thats what dell does.

5. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

iv been thinking for a few milliseconds
    wont they think that its better if they get 2 200gb hdds on raid 0 and upgrade the speekers
    coz i REALLY dont think that someone needs 800gb unless they r thinking of keeping the hdds till the year 2010 or so
    maybe then we might need all that space and probably even then u wouldnt really need 800GB of space
    so i think that if they halfed the hdd space it would be better and more worthid for the buyer coz he/she would be getting a cick ass system also now the speekers would be kick ass and also the price will probably go down alittle 2
    what do u guys think of my idea ?
    p.s by the time the user will need all that space the hdds will become obsolite due to RPM (speed)

6. Olly

Olly What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with you ..... but it still doesnt make it more expensive to replace 1 HDD from a raid array than 1 equivalent HDD which is not in a raid array (sorry but I seem to have my pedantic head on at the moment!) :D

Olly

7. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Lets say that its your computer with raid setup. Lets say you have to have someone else fix it because your stupid n00b for buying a dell or your some business person that has to ship off the computer to get it fixed. Most places charge by the hour to repair computers. If there was no raid and the drive failed, all the guy would do is physically replace the drive and format it. You lose what little data you might of had on that drive because odds are it was not the main drive. if it was raid, now the guy has to replace the disk, reformat 4 drives, reinstall windows, office and all the spyware you put on. Then when you get it back you now have to take the time to restore your backup if you made one.

8. Olly

Olly What's a Dremel?

whereas if you were runnng any of the other raid options, you wouldnt have lost any of your potentially valuable data .... so raid could cost you less in the final anaysis ...... :hip: :D

9. mime genocide

mime genocide What's a Dremel?

ummm... anybody who vists this site could easly make the same computer for less and make it look a whole lot better.