1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding LCD cost for a Britt

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Puk, 18 Apr 2002.

1. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Hey alls, curious to whether any Britts have bought one of those lovely lil screens from matrix orbital, how much did it work out at? Wondering how much i'd be mugged by customs for and being a poor student that i am need to keep my wallet firmly in my pocket, plus i'd need a card for the serial maybe. I think i saw something similar in another forum (sorry for being repetitive). Can you use them to display a lovely graphical EQ and does anyone have any pics? Shame its bigger than a standard bay but nevermind.

2. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Well mine arrived yesturday and my wife had to pay £17ish for tax and Brokerage. This was for the LCD only which was $47.50 + $14ish P&P. The exchange rate UPS used was $1.42.

If you pick DHL (about $14) as your shipment option you will only pay about £12 (this is a new option that I missed out on :()

So it will probably cost approx £55 of your hard earned cas... sorry student loan :D

Meblin

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Yep through the new dhl service the nk204-v should be around £50-55ish :)

Cheers,

r.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

my 16x2 p// LCD cost in all about a tenner from the UK :D:D

5. Shivoa

Shivoa What's a Dremel?

backlit?

6. Cheese

Cheese Doc

You can get backlit // 16x2 displays from farnell.com for about £10 int his country yep... they're in a different league to mo displays though ;)

r.

7. ChenZen

ChenZen Minimodder

by different league he means farnell are in lower league ... right !!

8. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Serial displays do have a lot of advantages over //'s - red my faq for info ;)

Cheers,

r.

p.s. and youre not comparing £50 to £10 btw, a 4x20 // wired costs around £20-25 + comsumables + time etc.

9. Shivoa

Shivoa What's a Dremel?

>You can get backlit // 16x2 displays from farnell.com for about £10

I know. I was going for a 20x4 from them until I found out there was a 2 week wait for new supplies. I'm now going for a MO backlit display that will cost more (ordered it on Tuesday so I hope for it by Friday) but is much better (the GPOs will be useful and I might just wire up a keypad as this is going to be used on a mp3 box - then again the wireless keyboard I'm going to use might remove any benefit of the keypad)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

naa, but the cable and p// connector + spiral wrap in all cost me a tenner. Not bad :D

11. Puk

Ok, i'm gonna act real dumb and like a real nube so bare with me :) cheers. I'd like to run a few buttons off my LCD but would like one that fits in a bay (bearing in mind, yes i know MO do a lovely one but it costs nearly a ton with postage etc and poor student... nuff said) I did a search at farnell and had enough results to give me a headache, i'll go and look again tomorrow as i just got back from a gig and playing bass for two hours is enough to make anyone knackered. I'd like it to run a graphical EQ, operate winamp (i know the MO one for Bit does have the connectors for a pad so do we know if the farnell one does too) and whats the benefit of going serial over parralel in this instance? Other than stealing a required parralel. Plus is all the software available about able to run pretty much any LCD ? be that serial or parrallel?

Cheers, sorry for the torturous newb bit. TY

12. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

www.crystalfontz.com
    Why does no one know about crystal ?
    Available in every color and size under the sun as good as MO and cheaper.

13. Cheese

Cheese Doc

We all know about CF - see the faq. They aren't cheaper than MO though, look at the nk204 - cf don't compete with that price and though it's true that for the average similar lcd cf are slightly cheaper there are extra features on mo's side and 12 months warranty instead of 3.

CF displays are good and if you want a coloured // then there's no where else to shop, but IMO (and I've used both) MO serial lcd's are better - this is explained in my FAQ.

Cheers,

r.

14. ChenZen

ChenZen Minimodder

the MO LCD have GPO's, that feature alone is worth paying more, and as mentioned, 12 months warranty. shows that mo trut their LCD enuff to give 12 month warranty.

15. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Hi Puk, where to start... with a summary maybe? You want an lcd with an equaliser that has a keypad to control it? Well like most things in life you have mroe options than at first you might think,

---Serial LCD with a serial keypad. As you've noted almost all MO lcd's have keypad interfaces and the software is already there (well an equaliser plugin for lcdc is almost ready to air at any rate) but you don't like the cost... why not buy the one at the top of the page (about £50 all inc with dhl shipping I think). You could mount this in your case yourself and make your own buttons following my guide... The only other keyad controlled lcd I know of is CF's 633 and this will work out at amost double the price of the nk204, does have some other features though you might want to look into it.
    The milford serial controlled lcd's and controllers at farnell do not support any communicate back t the rs232 port - no keypad's possible then.

---Serial LCD with a parallel keypad. You could go for a serial LCD without keypad support (though you won't even find bad milford serials for less than the mo one at the top I don't think - though you might find one cheap 2nd hand). Then you can wire up a keypad to your parallel port - easy enough to do, think Relix was working on this (might be wrong!), you'd need to write your own software for the keypad though. (umm and I can't say Ive seen a milford serial working with a winamp equaliser, though I've only had a couple of milford displays - not played much).

---Parallel LCD with a parallel or serial keypad. At the moment I don't think any of winamp plugins with equalisers work with // lcd's under nt/2k/xp - though in 9x/me all is well. Again not seen any keypad software written, though the wiring is easy.

Ok hope I helped, cheers,

r,

16. Puk

Yup, you did, thanks man. That LCD FAQ you did rocks btw :)

17. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

The 633 at CF has one thing which makes me like it more than any MO display, the 1 wire hookup, 32 temp probes, and there doing a 20x4 version soon. Moneys not really an issue when i think LCD anyway, but good point just the same. Colors, well were modders, id rather do the backlight myself just for the fun of it, i know im strange.

Gotta admit though i never thought about the warranty....oh yer thats cause i never do :) hehe.

18. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

Features do look great on th cf 633, but what software supports or uses them though?

19. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

20. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

im MO lurving, go for MO!

i paid £70 and im still chuffed ;)