1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Fixture Tap from Outlet Branch Circuit

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xiachunyi, 7 Oct 2004.

1. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Hello, I was wondering if it is legal, according to the National Electric Code or NEC, to draw power from an outlet branch circuit in a room to power permanently installed luminare fixtures?

I think I remember reading that one can not do that but I am not sure, and I can not seem to find that section anymore.

Thank you.

2. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

Yes it is legal.. It is done all the time. The only thing you need to watch is the current load on the breaker/fuse. Just take 180 W per receptacle and add the wattage of the light fixture. This number shouldn't exceed 80% of the circuit breaker/fuse ampacity. If you are refering to a house it is most likely a 15A circuit, which means you shouldn't exceed 12A. At least if I remember my code right those are the right numbers. :D I generaly do comercial/industrial service work and some new comercial/industrial work. On the new work everything is usually specified as to what goes where...

3. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Your numbers sound right. Here in Canada 1A per recepticle is used for the calculations (way too low for my taste though), but most likely just a difference in code. But the 80% maximum loading you mentioned is for sure.

4. Xiachunyi

Thank you so much for the reply. :D

5. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

No problem.. I've been doing electrical construction work for the past 11 years or so and am happy to help others. Just one question for you though. Are you an electrician or something along those lines? I'm just kind of wondering since most people don't concern themselves too much about code as long as thier lights and stuff work.

6. Xiachunyi

My dad signed me up to obtain an electrician's license under Thomson Education Direct and I am working through the NEC portion of the study. My dad says this will be good to learn when I am older and when I am in college next year.

I personally see it as an addendum to my resume since electrian work is not what I want to do when I am older; I personally like pre-med.

7. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Could make you a natural to run the defibulator. :D