1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZXR-500 Speakers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Jamie, 18 Apr 2002.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Please comment .....

2. ChenZen

ChenZen Minimodder

excellent review, im sure my onboard on my soyo dragon mbo cud power them, but where do i get them @ £65 .. i found em at maplin for £80 ..

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Please forgive me if i didn't read the article properly but do these speakers have a built in 5.1 decoder so you could just plug in either a coaxial or optical digital cable?
    If so then these would probably make a passable cheap alternative for an entry-level home cinema system.

4. Jamie

There is no inbuilt decoding on these speakers ... I must emphasise this, you need a sound card that does the 5.1 decoding.

They were on scan today a few days ago for £65, they were also doing a deal on getting a sonic fury with them

5. Slink

Slink B7

Very nice Spike,

Can you tell me if my little SB live is able to power these

6. Jamie

If i recall the sb live has a front and rear out put and no center and sub output as it has no onboard 5.1 decoder.

7. MadMan

MadMan What's a Dremel?

Nice review spike those are good-looking speakers, at a good price especially with a wooden cabinet.

One thing I found lacking in your review was a description of the sound quality. Obviously sound is *very* subjective, but pleez add something on describing the quality. The usual way to compare speakers is to set up all the EQ's flat (or at least the same) and use them back-to-back.

Anyway, they can obviously be adjusted for bass vs treble, but what is the sattelite sound like? Tinny, neutral, muted, etc?

8. Slink

Slink B7

Cheers Spike,

Can you sugest a cheap(ish) sound card with 5.1 enabled?

And possibly point me in the right direction

Cheers in advance:baby:

9. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

You should be able to pick up a cheapish live! 5.1 second hand. If not then the audigy player is a good first hand option at £80 ...

10. Slink

Slink B7

ill be sure to pick something like that up on ScaM today probbably,

Thanks peeps:D

11. Jamie

With the bass off and the EQ off the satellites sound like your in a large hall with the music on, in other words it is just lacking bass, the old satellites sounded very tinny in comparison. I think the sound quality is very crisp and clear. They also don't buzz at all ... if I turn up the volumes to maz there is no backgroup hiss that you sometimes get with cheap speakers.

I hope that helps madman

12. delpy

delpy What's a Dremel?

THIS MIGHT SOUND STUPID BUT CAN THESE SPEAKERS BE USED WITH A DVD PLAYER AS ON UNBEATABLE.CO.UK THEY COME WITH A CYBERHOME DVD

RTT sentences you to write out "i must not shout" 100 times ;)

13. Jamie

You might want to check your caps lock m8.

I doubt these will plug into a standalone DVD player since it uses jacks rather than the normal speaker plugs for DVD players. You might be able to find some cables that work with it but I don't like your chances.

14. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

if your dvd palyer has internal decoding & offers thejacks to allow you to run anologue interconnects to the speakers, i think in theory it should work

Tags: Add Tags