1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Boot without a Beep.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BvBart, 11 Oct 2004.

1. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

Just as it says in the topic, really. After a refreshing gaming session at a friend of mines house, I, of course, had to retransport my box home. Upon setting it back up at my abode, I booted it up.

At this point, everything was going fine, XP started as it normally did, and all the normal programs booted at Start-Up. I went about my usual routine when booting just to play some City of Heroes; I closed my Download Mage, Gigabyte Utility Manager, Audio-Mixer and ATi Control Panel (Uses unneccessary amounts of RAM, that CoH isn't really benefitting from). Then, I booted up and logged into CoH.

Here I decided I wanted to create a new character, so I Win-Keyed CoH, and started IE to check for a reference picture. Then, all hell broke loose. My computer completely locked-up and froze, unable to do anything. I was a bit pissed, but nothing out of the ordinary, so I hot-powered-down and waited a bit.

Upon turning the thing back on, I was startled to find that during the normal course of the boot, roughly at the point the AWARD BIOS has it's little boardered table that shows basic system specs, the computer froze again, hanging in the middle of boot, after POSTing. I turned it off again, and soon after, booted once more.

I am now horrified to see that I cannot boot, at all. The computer starts, fans whirr, and everything begins, but I get no signal and no POST beep. No error beep codes, and it doesn't shut down. I checked every connection, every card, RAM, HS and CPU, everything plugged in fine, but still no full-boot and POST.

I'm at a loss for words on what to do, the only thing out of the ordinary, aside from not POSTing and booting, is that the HD makes a weird noise, sort of like a dull click, once every time I boot.

I beseech thee at Bit-Tech, anyone know whats going on?!

Summary: After moving computer, it freezes and now won't POST, but doesn't error-code or power down, no signals of any sort. Odd HD click at boot too.

-Gigabyte 7N400-Pro 2 Rev. 2
    -Barton 2500+
    -512M Mushkin Basic Green
    -Gecube 9550XT PE
    -Belkin NIC
    -Cobra Sound Card
    -Maxtor 60Gig UATA HD
    -Hitachi 60Gig UATA HD
    -Lite-On 16x DVD
    -Mitsumi 54x32x54 CD-RW
    -Vantech Nexus Fanbus
    -Aspire Turbo Case 520W PSU

Last edited: 11 Oct 2004
  2. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I'd try booting from a cd, since you say that the HDD is making some funny noises. You could try removing all the cards except video and then try to boot. Can you get into the bios? maybe reset it. If you can get into the bios do all the voltages and temps look good?

3. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

Nope, can't do anything. I don't POST, and I get no signal to the monitor, so I doubt that I can boot from CD, though I do have a Gentoo Live CD I can try if it comes to it, though if I can't even load the BIOS... I think I have a bigger problem.

4. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

try::
    clearing the cmos (jumper on the motherboard)
    booting with only motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu. (unplug all the conectors to other drives)
    unplugging the atx power connector (big 20pin one)
    resetting the cpu.

Ben

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

looks like something has become unseated.

try taking everything out and putting it back again.

start with expansion card, then move on to cables, RAM, CPU...

6. TMM

TMM Modder

unplug all your drives. a dodgy harddrive will prevent POST in some cases ;)

its does sound odd that it progressively got worse.. maybe a powersupply problem?

7. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

CMOS cleared... no avail.
    Booting with just MB, RAM, CPU & GPU... no avail.
    ATX Plug... no avail.

...no avail. :waah:
    Well, tried it with both HDs, then one, then the other, each time with no progress. I'll try an alternate supply in a moment, but for now, I'm freakin' lost and looking like I've a now-kaputt Mobo or CPU, both of which would piss me off immensly.

8. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

was the system overclockd? i had the same mobo till it overheated and dies, and its a pian in the arse 2 reset the CMOS on them (dont work sometimes)
    when u say it was lockin up that is a heat issue i had b4 mine dies, funny thing is the lihghts on the mobo show everything working

test all ur parts in another system

9. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

Nope, in fact, at the time, it was UNDERclocked, significantly. I think i'm going to have to try everything piece by piece with another box, unfortunatly.

10. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

try unplugging the ATX cable from your mobo, wait a min and then plug back in. Try booting without HD/cdroms plugged in to mobo or power supply, even take out your video card and any other cards as well, so you just have your processor and RAM and nothing else, and just see if it beeps (posts). also check and make sure that nothing has fallen on or behind you mobo, possibly shorting something. other then that, i think you might have fried your mobo :blah:

11. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

That's what I'm starting to think too... :waah:

If thats the case, a P.O.S. Mobo from the local shop to the rescue!